Author Topic: UCE'S ARE THE NEWER MODELS ANY BETTER???  (Read 13124 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:17 pm
Having bought a Used 2010 G5 deluxe, that was off warantee, & living in a remote N.Georgia mountain town & miles from a dealer, It was my baby from the get go. The bike itself is a sound investment. Mine is very pretty & reliable, certainly superior to british & past enfield motorcycles. As a veteran british owner/rider/wrench I can say this with some authority.
  There were a few things about the bike that I or the P.O. changed & upgraded: Tire,Shocks,Handlebars, signals, Headlight Reflector- Xenon & LED Bulbs,Battery, Sidestand,Muffler, Cranckcase Breather.
  The only annoying things I've encountered were the first  DEKA AGM battery I purchased on-line was BAD, I Had to drive to a neighboring town for a free replacement.  The oil level SIGHT GLASS monitoring sytem could be better, It is difficult to get the correct level. I would much prefer a dipstick I could read before starting the engine. 
  None of these issues are deal breakers. This is the best (easiest to live with) 500cc single cylinder motorcycle, of the many I have ever owned.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 02:41:29 am
yeah the warranty thing is weird. In the owners manual it says that the warranty is covered after the first service - meaning you must take it to dealer the first service. After that you can do yourself. But i was talking to the importer here as i needed some simple questions answered and he got up me for doing the oil change myself saying "you'll void the warranty if you blow the engine" ive done 1000s of oil changes and never blown the engine. These assholes annoy me. Dont get me wrong, i love the bike alot. Best thing ever. Im a mechanics son and fixed all my own cars etc. Im not into being shafted by mechanics. I guess thats why the old man was broke cause he helped people too much, but sometimes you help people. Its not all about money is it? In this town it is . Im not a scab. If a mechanic helps me etc i always throw them some beers on a warm friday arvo - or give them some cash when they dont ask for it. Enfield mechanics in sydney = minimum spend $300, no questions answered etc. Its just "book it in" or "bring it in more regularly"
The last service in the shop - (where they always ask you if you want fries with that), put the wrong size tube in backwheel & left the back wheel unaligned. No faith in them now. it shits me that the mechanics are the dealers.
Im just grateful ive found this forum. You cant even join the aussie forum/or it dont exist - dunno...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 04:33:29 am
This is an international forum, all welcome.  Just happens to be hosted in the US. ;)  I really like that we get people from all over.

Scott

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 05:22:08 am
+1 DtheD! It surprises me the # of people here that aren't aware of the Magnuson-Moss Act, one of the few laws here actually in favor of the consumer. Just quoting it is usually enough to put a feisty dealer in his place.  :)
I recommend to those in any other countries to check into your consumer protection laws. If you don't already have something similar maybe it's time to get a grass roots effort started.
My dealer didn't waste any time letting me know that as long as all my own maintenance was documented, there would be no problem with the warranty.
Incidentally, the same applies to any Insurer who tries to make you use their "shop" or "parts". Assholes.

helo
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:00 am
yeah the warranty thing is weird. In the owners manual it says that the warranty is covered after the first service - meaning you must take it to dealer the first service. After that you can do yourself. But i was talking to the importer here as i needed some simple questions answered and he got up me for doing the oil change myself saying "you'll void the warranty if you blow the engine" ive done 1000s of oil changes and never blown the engine. These assholes annoy me. Dont get me wrong, i love the bike alot. Best thing ever. Im a mechanics son and fixed all my own cars etc. Im not into being shafted by mechanics. I guess thats why the old man was broke cause he helped people too much, but sometimes you help people. Its not all about money is it? In this town it is . Im not a scab. If a mechanic helps me etc i always throw them some beers on a warm friday arvo - or give them some cash when they dont ask for it. Enfield mechanics in sydney = minimum spend $300, no questions answered etc. Its just "book it in" or "bring it in more regularly"
The last service in the shop - (where they always ask you if you want fries with that), put the wrong size tube in backwheel & left the back wheel unaligned. No faith in them now. it shits me that the mechanics are the dealers.
Im just grateful ive found this forum. You cant even join the aussie forum/or it dont exist - dunno...
Yeah Mate, everything cost in Oz, its the price for living in heaven.
I received my RE in a crate, 800 miles (1100 kms) from my dealer. Been doing all my own spanner twisting from day one.
This is a good forum, with tons of good info. Enjoy.
Welcome aboard Steve.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:44 am
plus you have other oz members not too far away ;D

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 04:34:00 am
Kevin Mahoney said: "I would say that the satisfaction of our customers has a 95% correlation to who the dealer is."

Amen! I'd like to state for the record that I've never been happier now that I have a good dealer to turn to... Fremont Honda/Kawasaki in Fremont, California! I've also noticed that the bum dealer I originally purchased from in Soquel is no longer selling RE.
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 03:12:09 am
Yeah I wanna good dealer mechanic too. Most stuff I'll do, but engine work when needed , needs to go to someone experienced in engine work.
I rode 70000 km on px 200 Vespa 2 stroke in 2 years. The scooter mechanic sandy at scooter engineering was an invaluable asset. Bloody helpful and knowledgeable as. My bikes are used for work. Some days I'll ride 500clicks. Sandy would get me going again if I was stuck. I love the enfield heaps. Next trip is to Townsville inland route. Can't wait! Just did full service myself and she is running sweet. I really appreciate this forum a lot.thank you all.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:14 pm
My 2010 G5 Deluxe is nothing like my old BSA Victor...that thing ran fine during the day, but as soon as I turned on the lights at night, I was pretty sure it was going to leave me stranded out in the dark...Lucas, God Bless them...

I lived out in the boon docks, so as soon as I left town from visiting my girlfriend, I would shut off the lights. When I saw a car coming towards me, I would turn the back on (usually....) then back off as soon as he passed.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 12:02:46 pm
Dealer training? What?  :o

Kevin Mahoney said: "I would say that the satisfaction of our customers has a 95% correlation to who the dealer is."

Amen! I'd like to state for the record that I've never been happier now that I have a good dealer to turn to... Fremont Honda/Kawasaki in Fremont, California! I've also noticed that the bum dealer I originally purchased from in Soquel is no longer selling RE.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 05:17:32 pm
Gypsyjon wrote "My 2010 G5 Deluxe is nothing like my old BSA Victor...that thing ran fine during the day, but as soon as I turned on the lights at night, I was pretty sure it was going to leave me stranded out in the dark...Lucas, God Bless them..."

It wasn't without reason that back in the day Lucas became known as 'The Prince Of Darkness'....

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40:03 pm
Are the UCE's better........
The UCE was introduced in 2009. Since its introduction Royal Enfield has been seeing enormous growth in the number of motorcycles they sell.

About 10 years ago they were selling something like 20,000 to 30,000 motorcycles a year. Last year they sold 150,000 motorcycles. They are scaling up to sell 250,000 a year. Over 90% of their motorcycles are sold in India. Indian customers will wait 6 months to a year to get an RE.

The quality is far better, but it is hard to judge by this forum. Most folks only post about problems. They don't post when the motorcycle is running great.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 04:49:12 pm
Gypsyjon wrote "My 2010 G5 Deluxe is nothing like my old BSA Victor...that thing ran fine during the day, but as soon as I turned on the lights at night, I was pretty sure it was going to leave me stranded out in the dark...Lucas, God Bless them..."

It wasn't without reason that back in the day Lucas became known as 'The Prince Of Darkness'....

+1

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 12:20:42 am
. You cant even join the aussie forum/or it dont exist - dunno...
SectorSteve Hi, Aussie Enfields is the Aussie forum, not a bad site, not much for the UCE bikes however, more the older stuff, but well worth a look. This site is the best I've found for the newer models.

Cheers  :)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:31 am
I never owned an enfield before this, but i did hire an old one in india - which i loved. This was my reason for getting one. My bike has been flawless. runs the same every day. Did have a battery terminal issue(just snapped off) and the side stand switch caused problems at the start but once those 2 things were fixed ive had no problems since. Only issue is getting shafted up the date by RE Australia. Luckily my bikes good cause i certainly dont need those (what warranty) guys. Im just itching to go for another few thousand km ride again...

Thanks Hocko. I tried to join about 6 months ago but was refused for some reason. Some guy with a new Enfield left a note on my bike end last year too to join some people that go on trips etc. They do hotels. Unless its making camp im not keen, so i solo it.