Author Topic: UCE'S ARE THE NEWER MODELS ANY BETTER???  (Read 13117 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 06, 2013, 06:53:42 am
Over the past few weeks I've been reading various threads from new bike members. Appears to me the new league of owners are plagued with as many problems as the veteran boys. ;D I've had my fair share of problems too.
Really,you'd think these Indian bike builders could get it together. It's not a highly sophisticated unit like a MV Augusta etc.
Certainly makes me wonder what I'm in for when my cafe racer arrives in oz  around end of year. :(
Actually pretty scarey...........my C5 running great!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:01:39 pm
Seems that way but time will tell for sure...I think it still a better build from my 06 iron but not surprised by some of the problems encountered.  I feel for the fellows that brought the c5 configured for ES only.. :P
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:37 pm
Yes, they are better. The people on the forum are the ones having some problems. There are a lot of people out there who are not on the forum who never have any! Now that the UCEs are catching up with the number of Iron barrels there are more UCE messages than iron barrel anyway.
Overall, the UCE problems are minor things compared to the iron barrel stuff. You see very few instances of UCEs having to be completely torn down.
I think you will be quite satisfied with the Cafe Racer!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:01:30 pm
Yes, they are better. The people on the forum are the ones having some problems. There are a lot of people out there who are not on the forum who never have any! Now that the UCEs are catching up with the number of Iron barrels there are more UCE messages than iron barrel anyway.
Overall, the UCE problems are minor things compared to the iron barrel stuff. You see very few instances of UCEs having to be completely torn down.
I think you will be quite satisfied with the Cafe Racer!
Bare

+1.

Some of the problems are maintenance issues or dealer preps or just repeat questions exploring new dimensions. The posts on this Forum are from bikes made in Old factory. It will take some time to see whether the bikes made in New Factory have fewer issues.

In my opinion buying a newly designed Cafe Racer may have some challenges that could be ironed out in a year or two. But that should not deter any buyer who really wants it but be prepared if something does pop up (as happened for C5 wobble in a few bikes NOT ALL).

These bikes are not for everbody as they still require some TLC for most of the riders. Once setup right and ridden the way they are meant to be, they give more smiles per miles.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:14:18 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:40 pm
+2.  All forums for all bikes are loaded with people seeking help on a problem.  It can make any bike look terrible.  Probably even worse for us, many RE owner's are hands on people so seek to solve problems themselves.

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:26:30 pm
problem solving builds character and confidence. the forum provides a shortcut, if you will, for most common faults(and some damn uncommon). gotta love it!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:57 pm
You mean better then my 2008 AVL Royal Enfield?
  I don't think that's possible.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:19 pm
RePozer: u have the best of two parts put together.. 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 01:58:45 am
As the guy who has read the warranty claims for 15 years the UCE bikes are more reliable. If for no other reason than the EFI and design of the engine. There was nothing wrong with the iron barrel, but it was 1938 technology. those of us old enough to remember bikes from the 1950's and before remember that until the Japanese came to town every car or bike required at least a full year of auto shop in high school or more. You ALWAYS had to tweak something. It was normal everyday life and no one thought anything of it. Such was life with the iron barrel. I have the very last 500 iron barrel ever made and the prototype ES bike and would not trade them for anything.

The AVL engine was a full step forward. Mostly because of a better crank, oil system, alloy barrel, electronic ignition, CV carb and a 5 speed transmission. We really had very little trouble with them (except for sprag clutch's).

The UCE is an entirely modern design. Modern design means an engine that is all but "Bullet proof" pun intended. We have 10% of the claims we used to have on iron barrels.

There is not substitute for a good dealer. You really need to think about this when you buy a bike. If you buy a bike from across the country because you can save $200 who is going to be there for you when something happens? If you begrudge your dealer a fair profit you are going to be very unhappy when he is no longer in business. I would say that the satisfaction of our customers has a 95% correlation to who the dealer is.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:31:38 am
+++1, I only wish my old Bod was as reliable, & easy to maintain.  Having owned many singles from the 50's & 60's, This'n is the best! - It's pretty to!(2010 G5 Deluxe)

Craig McClure, Jasper Ga, USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:32:33 am
Aren't the UCE bottom end better than the AVLs? I have also heard that the AVL crank and con rod is pretty much same as the UCEs but not really sure about that :)

-Sanket

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:59:44 am
i just drove from sydney to brisbane via new england highway and some backroads. 2000 kms in 4 days. gunned down the pacific highway at 110-120kph to get home quick. the bike went well. used $100 worth of fuel. Ive had my bike almost a year and done 20000km. no problems. replaced the rear sprocket, got new chain. Had a problem with a broken battery terminal which stopped the bike, but now all seems well. Just had to fix a puncture and was stoked at how easy it was to get rear wheel on and off. The only negative thing here in sydney is dealers. The one major seller wants to keep you in the dark about everything about the bike. This is so he can charge you $300 to change your oil. He will not give any advice, help out in anyway unless you book in for service.  Theres a new dealer but they know know jack. As with all my old bikes its time to do most the shit myself. its easier. I think the bike is awesome. a bit cheaply made, but boy did she run well up to the 1300 metres alt on my ride. i was loaded up too. saddle bags, tools, sleeping stuff...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:04:46 pm
...........The one major seller wants to keep you in the dark about everything about the bike. This is so he can charge you $300 to change your oil. He will not give any advice, help out in anyway unless you book in for service.  Theres a new dealer but they know know jack. As with all my old bikes its time to do most the shit myself. its easier......

Yep - it can be easier, until you run into a warranty claim.  I don't know what kind of consumer protection laws cover you down under.

It might be worth your time to investigate if changing your own oil will affect your warranty coverage, or, what kind of documentation will be necessary to protect it .....

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 03:48:06 pm
My dealer in the states let me do all my warranty work, even when it was a replacement part, like a fuel level sender. Certainly oil changes were OK. If there is a question, keep the receipt for the oil and filter. My Guzzi dealer even let me do my own 600 mile check.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 04:00:44 pm
In the US the Magnuson-Moss Act specifies that you don't have to go back to the dealer for maintenance in order to retain warranty rights nor can the manufacturer/dealer make you use their brand products.  They can only require specifications of oil, filters, etc.  It's an old fight that consumers often loose, but companies like Nissan have paid fines out the kazoo for trying to require branded filters, oil, and services be done at the dealer.
I have no idea what consumer protection laws exist outside the US.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH