Author Topic: Houston we've had a problem (Fuel pump)  (Read 1128 times)

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
on: June 06, 2013, 04:13:04 am
The last few times I've ridden over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that the bike didn't want to idle very well.  This afternoon, it finally just died in my drive way and didn't want to start again.  The fuel pump doesn't seem to cycle very often (maybe, one in ten tries if that - actually starts when the fuel pump cycles, but then dies almost immediately again).  I've checked the battery ground - looks good (fully disconnected and reconnected the battery as well).  The roll-over sensor is tight, and the kickstand sensor has been disconnected since I got the bike almost two years ago.  I can hear the relay click every time, but no fuel pump cycle.  Anything else I can check before I have to lug this thing 175 miles to the dealer (under warranty until August, otherwise I'd just replace it myself)?

Here's a video of the problem - http://youtu.be/iCGzmH_NqMo - you can hear the relay click, but no fuel pump cycle.  Sorry for the darkness, it's in my garage, and the video was taken with my cell phone.

Thanks for any advice anyone has to offer.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:09:16 pm
Ground the purple wire at the ECU, and see what code you have... Also you can check for voltage at the pump, as well as for a voltage drop. Hook up a multimeter to the hot wire at the pump plug... I believe it's red. A sewing pin or an small opened paper clip works nicely, to insert at the plug. Alligator clips hooked up to ground(frame or negative battery terminal) and the hot wire will make it easier.

Key on.... watch the multimeter. Than hit the kill switch to on. You should see better then 12v ( actually, close to what your battery is reading across the terminals) as the pump comes on... then drop to 0 v as it stops.   Try to start it.... again you should see that Voltage. If it starts... watch the voltage and make sure it doesn't jump around  too much or drop significantly.

If it doesn't start but your voltage is good, again... check for a code.  You may have a bad wire connection, between the pump and relay.The ECU switches the ground on to the pump. Disconnect the pump plug, and check for continuity on the  wire between the pump plug, and relay, then the corresponding pin at the ECU. If it's good....... ? 

Check the pump.... in the book, there should be a resistance value listed for the pump. You can check it at the pump plug, while it's disconnected.  If thats good......?

You could check fuel pressure ,if you tee in a fitting on the fuel line running to the injector. When and if you can get the pump to run..... you should see 42 PSI.

Or , if it's under warranty?  Take it in....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:58:35 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:54:19 am
Thanks, man.  Checked the ECU - no codes at all (even when I unplugged the fuel pump, so maybe I'm doing it wrong).  Checked the voltage to the fuel pump, and it registered 12VDC when the relay closed.  Stumped, I plugged it all back up, and... voila.  The fuel pump is now pumping.  I'll let it set tonight, and check it again tomorrow.  I guess maybe just the connector got loose or dirty or something(?).  I'll give it a shakedown run tomorrow to find out.

Thanks again.  You may have just saved me a long drive.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:52:53 am
   Hopefully !  Glad you got it.  Yeah, probably just a bad connection.  Interesting on the NO code.  Maybe you didn't have the purple wire grounded well ?   Even if you don't have the MIL light on when it's running..... when you ground out the wire, you should see the stored codes. I would think you might see injector then pump codes... First code you see, SHOULD be the last event.  Ahhhhh...... who cares. The bike is running now!  :)   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:35:30 am
I don't think the pump trips a code (but I am ready to stand corrected). I have seen cases where a bit of corrosion/dirt on those connectors is the problem. Have seen bad pumps but not often. In fact I recently had a dealer send a warranty one back because I found it hard to believe that it was bad. It was. Usually if it is the pump it is an all or nothing sort of thing.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:55 am
There is a 4 long + 1 short blink of the MIL that relates to the fuel pump but I don't know if it is actually checking the pump itself or the relay for the pump.

My guess is it is checking the relay and the ECU's connection to it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary