Author Topic: 2006 bullet  (Read 2039 times)

woody67

• Scooter
on: June 06, 2013, 01:29:32 am
Just got a 2006 bullet. Not green but still quite nice .Sedate and dignified, in a noisy sort of way. But the BAD noise: When I depress the rear brake  there is a grinding sound from the engine. Opened the primary hoping to find a loose tensioner. Was perfect, so not the problem. Its not in the brakes ,themselves, as I've looked at them as well/. Also this is most definitely a gear-grinding-itself-to-death sound. I was just learning to love it. Anyone have any thoughts? thanks.

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:26:53 am
Does it happen in all gears? Maybe grab the clutch assy and check for play up and down or side to side.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:06:03 am
I assume this is while you are going down the road. Is your final drive chain adjusted correctly? are you sure it is not hitting the chain guard or something while braking?
Does it happen with the clutch pulled in?
check all your engine mount bolts/stays exhaust mounts, fuel tank etc... for looseness.

woody67

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:11:51 pm
 Thanks for getting back. The clutch fine , all the nuts and bolts are tight. The chain is not hitting anything. I have been through the forum up to page 150 hoping for an answer. Greenforce82 seems to have had a similar problem. Still have it? This really seems to be in the transmission, in any gear and at any speed but stopped. Now to plod through 150 to about 170 and go to work.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:40 pm
It is possibly a transmission output shaft bearing.
Sometimes this can be caused by a bad cush rubber in the rear wheel hub, so if it turns out to be the bearing, also check the cush rubber.

You can check the bearing from the outside by grabbing hold of the output shaft which drives the front drive sprocket of the drive chain that drives the rear wheel, and seeing if it wiggles at all.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

woody67

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:22:53 pm
 Hi. Tried wiggling the output shaft through the front chain gear. Is that the way? nothing seemed to move. Started it up on the stand to try to brake without load. (hoping that the motorcycle elves had come. No.) In second gear the rear brake felt like a shift lever as the  gear ground over something . The engine stopped and the starter doesn't cycle, though the no starter problem has happened before and may or may not be part of the grinding gear problem . There are just over 1500 miles on this thing ,so at least its nice to look at out there in the yard. Well, the guzzi works , and the moped too so I can ride something but still.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:50:35 pm
If the shaft is not able to wiggle, then it's probably not the gearbox.

The most common part that fails in E-start Bullets is the sprag clutch. I would definitely check into that.
It will require a little more isolating exactly where the grinding sound is coming from. If my guess is correct, the sound will be coming from that "hump" on the upper forward part of the primary chaincase which has the starter motor going into it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:34 am
Being an 06 it is a five speed. Like the four speed they are a very strong transmission (it's just the 5 speed shifts much better and is a more modern design). This might sound stupid but it there oil in the tranny?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com