Author Topic: Haven't been online for a couple of days  (Read 9965 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:26 pm
I don't know about paying much attentions to the doctors. When you feel you can ride the bike with much pain, Do it. Most doctors are very anti-motorcycle and will try to keep you off them as long as they can.
I once was t-boned by a Buick coming out of a parking lot and went over the car landing on my head and shoulder. I didn't feel to bad, but I laid there for a couple of minutes so the idiot would thank he killed me! I got up and walked over to him and we had a bit of a chat. then the meat wagon came and hauled me to the hospital. Xrays indicated I had a cracked collarbone, but that was about it. They gave me a sling,and all the Anti-M/C BS and sent me home. I had to walk a couple of miles to get there, then pulled out my GB500 and rode 40 miles to Burger Continental for a Norton owners club meeting. HTe collar bone was a bit sore, but certainly enough to worry about. I have a friend in BSA club who had his Knee replaced and three weeks later was riding the Beezer. A few weeks after that while he continued to ride, he went to the doctor for a checkup  and he was amazed at the speed of his recovery! Motorcycles are great therapy for all ailments, physical and mental. Doctors just don't understand. I've had discussions with a few of them over the years and I've found very few that went along with the idea. Some do. I like those guys. 
Anyway, get well and get back to riding!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:01:17 pm
 Motorcycles are great therapy for all ailments, physical and mental.
Bare

+1
So true.
Well put  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:28 pm
I mentioned I ride to some friends at brunch one day.  Most of them are MDs and all are mountain climbers, as I am too.  Ten minutes of horror stories about how dangerous motorcycles are.  "Yeah....  wasn't it six of you who got stuck on the mountain in a snow storm, got separated into two groups, and had a two day mahunt to find and resuce you that you had to hold a benefit to help pay for once you got back?"  Somehow my riding is dangerous but climbing is totally ok.  I didn't bother telling them that I used to surf in hurricanes.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:13 am
Joel-in-Dallas:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and healing so that you can ride again.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 04:29:59 am
Hey Joel-in-dallas
Sorry to hear about your accident. Even though it is painful to go through any accidents, glad that it wasn't worse...
Wishing you speedy and complete recovery to start riding again!
Sajiv
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 01:08:04 pm
Good luck on your recovery.  Man, collar bones hurt!  I hope it didn't make your arm useless while it knits.  I think I'm going to look for a new jacket with collar bone armor now.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:05 am
All my best to you, Joel. Sounds like you reacted well and paid a comparatively OK penalty. Main thing is, I'm glad you're posting. And yeah like others have said - SUV drivers. I see an SUV a block away and I'm like Welcome to the circus. You just never know.  ;)
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 12:15:25 am
Im getting better. I am now able to sleep for 3-4 hours at a time. That has made a huge difference. But yeah, being in pain bites.

So I now have to decide if I want to put in a claim and use my insurance for repairs on the bike or eat the cost myself.

Since my deductible is 500.00. I have ~800 in repairs if I skip the fuel tank. Its ~1250 if I get that replaced as well.

I wonder if it will be better for me long term expense wise to just pay the whole 1250.00 get my bike back spotless and not have a claim on my insurance. I am a bit worried my motorcycle insurance will get more expensive.

Any ideas?

I missed a whole week of work. I haven't done that in many many years. So this has been rough. But I know I will get better and I will ride again.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:57 am
Dunno what to tell you about the repairs, Joel, but I hope you're feeling better soon.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 02:12:24 am
Joel
I think I would just go ahead and fix it out of my pocket if it were mine.

Seems Insurance companies have a way of always getting their nickle back if they have to pay anything on their end of the agreement. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 08:44:13 am
Joel
I think I would just go ahead and fix it out of my pocket if it were mine.

Seems Insurance companies have a way of always getting their nickle back if they have to pay anything on their end of the agreement. :(
+1. Especially if you can afford it..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:24 am
Or fix the minimum to get it running right and leave the tank.  Seems the tank always gets a ding, even in the most minor drops.  Get a little more experience and a few more miles.  If you drop it again you'll only need to replace it once ;)  Replace it this winter.

Scott

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:17 pm
I am starting to feel better.
It looks like there is ~750 in damage to the motorcycle. Since my deductible is 500.00 I am going to eat the cost. The tank has a slight nick in it. But at this point I am going to leave it alone.

I am excited to ride again, but I am going to make sure I am physically ready before I get on the motorcycle again. This broken collarbone has been one of the most painful things to ever happen to me.

Soon this will just be a memory, or a story told over a beer, after a nice ride.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:01 pm
  Replace it this winter.

He's in Texas... he'll be riding in the winter! Maybe he can replace it next summer when it's too hot to ride.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 03:30:46 pm
You simply say that to taunt me!  You know I live in the Pacific Northwest!

Scott ;)