Author Topic: AVL Electra stalling  (Read 6439 times)

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:31:29 am
The sprint race was just a mention..I wouldn't care if this bike was even slower than it is..I'd just love for it to stay running reliably. I fear taking it anywhere thinking I'll end up pushing it.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:26 am
Has it failed to start again right away?  What happened when you lost power at 55 and has it done that before?  Have you replaced the spark plug with an ngk?

I still lean towards the stall at stop is a carb tuning issue. But the loss of power at 55 does sound electrical. I think I would start with the easy stuff:

- change plug and check hi tension cable for no insulation breakdowns. Might want to check how good of a spark you have. Could be coil related(?)
- pull seat and pull the TCI box. Clean all contacts and make sure they are well seated ( also a good time to check what color todo box you have. It's its black, get the upgraded replacement by calling CMW. You'll need your vin number)
- check cable bundles on either side of front fork. They can rub here.
- lastly, remove the headlight and get into the rats nest of wiring. Check for good connections and broken wires, etc...  Check connections at amp meter and as they come out of the kill switch.

Others may have a better protocol to follow.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:18:00 am
Thanks for the reply, Dan.  My brother was behind me when it cut out..said my lights never shut off..after a second or two, she came back to life.  when at a stop, she starts to falter unless I play the throttle, some times getting a healthy spark knock before recovering (weird!) I feel silly asking how the seat is removed..Not sure what bolt to remove. I'd really like to check the ignition unit too.

And it seems once at my destination, she'll just keep idling happily. Only seems to act up at the worst moments!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:25:23 am by Techmaven »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 05:00:28 am
Pull the seat:  Remove the 4 bolts on the back of the seat that hold the grab rail (assuming you're still using the double stock seat).  Seat just lefts up from the back and slides off.  Easy.

Stall at 55:  Did it cough and sputter or just died out?
Stall at stop:  Dont think this is electrical, but carb tuning, especially as you keep it going with a throttle blip.

Another thought occurred to me, make sure your engine breather is free and clear.  This is the tube that comes from the crank case (black, about 1/2 in diameter) and goes to the catch can by the battery.  Engine needs to breath but i dont think it'll cause a stall at 55... ive been wrong before tho.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:30 pm

Stall at 55:  Did it cough and sputter or just died out?
Stall at stop:  Dont think this is electrical, but carb tuning, especially as you keep it going with a throttle blip.

Another thought occurred to me, make sure your engine breather is free and clear.  This is the tube that comes from the crank case (black, about 1/2 in diameter) and goes to the catch can by the battery.  Engine needs to breath but i dont think it'll cause a stall at 55... ive been wrong before tho.

The engine just cut out as if I shut the key off...came back to life just as suddenly. I'm gonna check the breather tube in a few minutes...Could the clogged breather cause the faltering coming to a stop?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:10 am
...Could the clogged breather cause the faltering coming to a stop?

I don't think so. Have you turned the carb yet when the bike is nice and warm? Did turning up the idle make a difference?
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:50 pm
I don't think so. Have you turned the carb yet when the bike is nice and warm? Did turning up the idle make a difference?

Neither adjusting the mixture screw nor slightly raising the idle has helped. The mixture screw really doesn't do anything at all.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:13 pm
Hmmm, ok, I'm thinking if the mixture screw has no effect, then one of 2 things is going on. 1. The air passages are gunked up and it needs a good disassembly and cleaning (watch out for the little washer in the mixture/fuel screw assembly. It can get stuck in the cavity and then blows out with air making it easy to loose). 2. The pilot jet is too rich. Do you know what's in there now?  Stock is a 15. It's marked on the jet itself once you pull it out.

There's lots of info on carb cleaning in this forum as well as YouTube.
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:05:53 pm
Pilot is 15 Main is 110..Original owner said dealer jetted the bike before delivery..Pilot was blocked..I cleaned and shot carb cleaner into the passage and through mixture screw opening. Raining now so test ride will have to wait.

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:26 pm
Took bike for a short ride around the town. Seems only to falter when at a stop or nearing a stop. as the ride progressed, it was more inclined to spark knock as I re-started it(During the re-start). When I got home I shut the key, it had stalled as I stopped in the driveway. While kicking to TDC for wet sump prevention, I went past TDC and the bike momentarily fired with the key removed..Hot Spot?  Plug to hot? Should I call Steven Hawking?

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 08:43:01 pm
Compression test...warm, full throttle 158psi.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 10:09:41 pm
Compression test...warm, full throttle 158psi.

That sounds damn solid to me.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:12 pm
On each ride after doing the carb cleaning, the bike has not faltered or stalled even once. Went back to regular grade gas but it will knock if I short shift in this 90+ heat. Bike has been a pleasure for the last week of riding. A small clutch adjustment should make everything perfect.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 04:14:55 am
Excellent!  Glad to hear you got it sorted.
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:16 pm
Funny thing Dan, The cutting out seemed SO electrical! Amazing to me is how a dirty pilot can cause this symptom!