Author Topic: Speedometer issue  (Read 3115 times)

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:28:38 am
Thanks Scotty.
I had one more issue where the vibrations suddenly creep in at 75 kmph and the mirrors are totally blurred out. Vibrations gradually start disappearing on increasing speed and at 90kmph there is no vibration (apart from the usual ones) and I could use rear view mirrors. I tightened all the bolts, head steady still no luck. Finally one day while riding left side mirror just broke from the base and fell off and after that all the vibrations are gone  :) :)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:33:52 am
Napoleon bar end mirrors. They're so heavy they act like extra bar end weights, and they give you a better view than almost anything else out there :)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:55 am
Just with the speedo issue, if I go more than say 100 km's (60 miles) the speedo needle starts jumping all over the place. If you stop for a while then travel off again, it will start it all again within a few miles. On a recent long trip I pulled over and lubed the wheel end of the inner cable, all was good for about 100 miles then it all started over again.  :o. I gave up after this. this has happened since new. '09 G5, haven't tried a new inner cable as yet. Any ideas ?

Cheers  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:23:40 am
Rather than just lubricating the lower end, pull the inner cable out and apply a light weight grease or some oil to it.  Then push it back in.

The most difficult  part of this is getting the square upper end to go back into the speedometer but if you keep turning the cable slightly and trying again sooner or later it will slip back in place.

When it does, turn the lower end to align with the square drive in the drive gear and reassemble it with the drive unit.
Don't over tighten the knurled nut. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:19 am
I'll give that a shot, thanks.  :)