Author Topic: Speedometer issue  (Read 3133 times)

meph1st0

• Scooter
on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:49 am
I had a strange problem while riding over the weekend. I noticed that the speed indicated by speedo is less than what it should  be for the corresponding rpm (Thunderbird has a tacho). Speedo was showing 70kmph  whereas it should have 80kmph (at 3000 rpm)  My first thought was that clutch  was slipping but bike was riding well. I could not feel any noticeable loss of power.
Then I guessed maybe something is wrong with speedometer and continued riding. After sometime it worsened, speedo never crossed 60kmph. It remained like this for the next 70kms and after this speedo died. On removing the cable, it was broken when the cable is connected to wheel. Got a new cable and now back to initial problem. Speedo is not accurate. Has anyone faced such an issue with speedo?
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:47 pm
Most of the RE speedometers read a little over actual speed- mine's about 5mph at high speeds, i.e. when the speedo reads 70mph, I'm actually going 65mph according to my GPS.

Sucks about the speedo cable and the persistent problem after replacing it.  Sounds like it could be manufacture defect.  I've taken off my front wheel a dozen times and haven't been all that gentle with the speedo, but I haven't had a problem (yet).

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:23 pm
Meph1st0
I just did a 170 mile trip and checked my speedometer with a GPS and I got a 5 mile speed difference as well, it was exactly 5mph slower than the speedo, so when my C5's speedo showed 75mph I was actually doing only 70 mph, like Shamelin, I too have taken out my front wheel numerous times but have not yet have had any issues with the speedo cable...I'm sure you will get this figured out. Just make sure the square end of the speedo is seated in properly at the wheel end of the setup.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:31:02 pm
Went thru a radar thing a while ago. Speedo says exactly 30 mph, radar says 25.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:50 pm
Those warning radars are all over Albuquerque. Every one of them shows 5mph slower than indicated by my speedo.
The city should compensate me for calibrating their radars.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:14 pm
This does not seem to be the typical speedo issue. The speedometer needle doesn't move initially. Say I start riding and reach 50kmph speedo still shows zero. If I hold steady at 50kmph then the speedo increases and comes to say 35 kmph. Also the needle is not steady. It keeps hovering a lot and suddenly drops to zero as I start decelerating. Looks like issue with the magnet.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 07:34:10 pm
Has the front wheel been off recently?  The mechanism that turns the cable may be misaligned or improperly installed.  Pull the cable at the front wheel, lift if off the ground and spin.  You should see the small piece in the barrel spin at a smooth and constant speed relative to the wheel speed.  Also, check that the cable inner is lubed well (don't lube the top 8" or so, it can gunk up the speedo) and that both ends are properly and securely attached.

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:15 am
Check to be sure the cable is not exiting the front wheel at a sharp angle. This will cause the speedo to jump and eventually the cable will break....Do not ask me how I know this....

After I replaced the broken cable I used a black nylon wire tie to pull the cable into better alignment. No problems since.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:45 am
both my c5's were 10kl out or 6 miles.... so it's something you have to put up with. bit annoying though ;D

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 03:48:07 am
Coincidence?
Today I swapped out the crap Bosch plug for a NGK Iridium, went for a 3mile ride to check it out. It was a definite improvement, BTW, as now the mill actually idles on its own immediately after I hit the start, definite improvement in power response, too.
But I digress...
During the ride my speedo wasn't working, so on return I checked it out and found the factory bozos hadn't snugged up the connector on the back of the speedo. Reconnected and went my merry way again.
While I was in there, I removed the Headlight jumper, and again noted that for all the probs described by users re funky wiring in there, the bozos actually had installed protective sleeves on all the leads. Cool. Maybe one less problem down the road.   :)
'12 C5 Classic

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 04:16:25 am
Has the front wheel been off recently?  The mechanism that turns the cable may be misaligned or improperly installed.  Pull the cable at the front wheel, lift if off the ground an
No wheel has not been removed for at least an year. I pulled the cable from speedometer with the other end connected to wheel and rotated the front wheel. The inner cable(shaft) doesn't rotate immediately. If I keep rotating the wheel then it slowly turns a few times. I will probably remove the wheel today and check the gear

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:44 am
It sounds like there may be a problem in the drive mechanism down on the wheel.

Scott

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:21:31 am
+1, Scotty.
meph, if you're still under warranty your dealer should cover it.
'12 C5 Classic

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:38 am
Speedo worm gear was broken. Replaced with a new one.working fine now.
Thanks all

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:35 am
Glad you're back to bring just 5mph off like the rest of us :)

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:28:38 am
Thanks Scotty.
I had one more issue where the vibrations suddenly creep in at 75 kmph and the mirrors are totally blurred out. Vibrations gradually start disappearing on increasing speed and at 90kmph there is no vibration (apart from the usual ones) and I could use rear view mirrors. I tightened all the bolts, head steady still no luck. Finally one day while riding left side mirror just broke from the base and fell off and after that all the vibrations are gone  :) :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:33:52 am
Napoleon bar end mirrors. They're so heavy they act like extra bar end weights, and they give you a better view than almost anything else out there :)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:55 am
Just with the speedo issue, if I go more than say 100 km's (60 miles) the speedo needle starts jumping all over the place. If you stop for a while then travel off again, it will start it all again within a few miles. On a recent long trip I pulled over and lubed the wheel end of the inner cable, all was good for about 100 miles then it all started over again.  :o. I gave up after this. this has happened since new. '09 G5, haven't tried a new inner cable as yet. Any ideas ?

Cheers  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:23:40 am
Rather than just lubricating the lower end, pull the inner cable out and apply a light weight grease or some oil to it.  Then push it back in.

The most difficult  part of this is getting the square upper end to go back into the speedometer but if you keep turning the cable slightly and trying again sooner or later it will slip back in place.

When it does, turn the lower end to align with the square drive in the drive gear and reassemble it with the drive unit.
Don't over tighten the knurled nut. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:19 am
I'll give that a shot, thanks.  :)