Author Topic: Historic Photos  (Read 1318 times)

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
on: June 04, 2013, 06:03:06 am
While visiting my daughter at the hospital I was walking down a hallway and saw a couple of pictures that I thought I would share. These pictures are from between 1912 and 1920 from looking at the other pictures in the hallway.
The one is of the first motorcycle club in Edmonton.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:40 am
This one is of a motorcycle turned into a snow machine. Interesting thing is that when I was picking up my bike from the shop the other day I saw a snow machine that basically looks and rides like a motorbike. What is old is new again.
Sorry about the reflection in the photo.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:09 pm
The first one reminds me of my grandfather's stories of when he rode a Henderson in the early '20s. He broke his leg on that one crossing a wet railroad track. He was, later, a motorcycle cop.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:36 am
What is it about Grandfathers and motorcycle injury stories?!?  They're the exciting ones we remember, I guess.  From an old post of mine:

...my grandfather, in 1928.  I'm told by the "experts" on ADVrider that it's a +/- 1927 JD Harley.  It's pretty beat up, but if you could have heard some of his ride stories, you'd understand!  He always said, however, that the bike was "old" when he bought it, so I can understand the damage due to rough treatment, but it doesn't explain the patina.  I'm still trying to sort that one out.  He maintained to the end that the woman on the back was his cousin, but behind his back nobody in his family believed it (not sure why it matters, since he was young and single back then).

Al Smith was the  Democratic U.S. presidential candidate in 1928 (he lost the bid to Herbert Hoover - the Republicans were popular in the middle of a time of national prosperity... wait, what was that year again?  Oh well...).  He was also a strong opponent of prohibition, so good on ya', Al.  And you, too, Gramps!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:14:54 pm
Actually, I think it was my grandmother who told me the leg breaking story. it was in 1922 when he did it, so he was probably 19 at the time. I don't think they were married yet. But I'm sure she told me the story to deter me from getting on those evil machines... Didn't seem to work!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com