Author Topic: What Gives???  (Read 5323 times)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 08:10:02 pm
LJ, to be clear, if the two pistons are different, are the wrist pins the same? If not, do the connecting rods need to be swapped out as well?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the interchangability of the two engines.

If you are correct, then there will never be a shortage of parts, (theoretically). If one can no longer get AVL parts, swap the top-end for an iron setup.

LJRead

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:45 pm
Nothing was said by my Indian correspondent regarding the need to change out the connecting rod, so I am assuming the wrist pin is the same, but the site cited above does not give piston/pin information.  I believe the wrist pins may be different, but the small end bush, or whatever may be of the same size.  It would need to be checked out, if it proves that the writ pin opening is different, I would suppose that alterations could be made by machining or bushing as appropriate. I don't think the connecting rods need to be swapped out, but the site doesn't give a complete breakdown of the crank/rod assembly, so more research would need doing.  But since the stroke is the same, I would think that, with slight modification, the connecting rod could be used., that is, the one from the AVL.

I am still wrapping my brain around this problem, as you say, but, for sure, the top, iron end of things, can be swapped out.

I don't think there will be any shortage of parts for either.  For one thing, AVL engines, looked down upon by the Indians, and sometimes swapped out in entirety, means that there will be supplies of AVLs.  Also, with the large number of iron engines, the entire engine being swappable, means a lot of engines and parts available.