Author Topic: Fuel pump cutting out / not starting sometimes  (Read 13817 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:15 am
does anyone happen to know the fuel pressure spec?

42 PSI.......

Ping bare because he said to, also ping GasHouseGorilla.  He's running an extenal pump with the same pressure as stock.  I think the stock pump is $300, may be worth looking for alternatives.

Scott

He may just come up with a clever solution to that..... The guy is determined! Shame to through out a perfectly good pump and pay 300 bucks, because of the cheap plastic pub that snapped off.  Should have been made of brass or aluminum.. I guess Keihin is getting cheap !?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 03:31:04 am
Fuel pump specs:
Operating voltage = 6v-14.5v
output pressure = 294 Kpa (42.6 psi)
10 micron filter built in
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 04:05:19 pm
Ping bare because he said to, also ping GasHouseGorilla.  He's running an extenal pump with the same pressure as stock.  I think the stock pump is $300, may be worth looking for alternatives.

Scott
@Arizoni
@Bare
@Gashousegorilla
@Ducati Scotty
I'm working on fixing the pump myself, almost through by 90%.  :P . I should have an answer by end next week. Awaiting a specific order, which will hopefully resolve this issue..I will post details as soon as I'm done. And it will NOT cost $300.00.
Cheers.   :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:15:32 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:54 pm
Good luck!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 05:10:11 am
We'll be very interested in hearing more about it! Don't forget pics for we who prefer not to read the articles.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 08:26:52 am
Ok. Helo n the gang here are a few pics of the broken tip of the pump. Note: the screws are Tamper proof..so you can't take off the broken tip NOR is one available Separately.
Since the pump was ruined I decided to use the dremel with the cut off blade and took the heads of the 2 screws off. Now we have the black broken tip off the pump....
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:28:56 am by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:14 am
I managed to get the 2 new metric screws from Home Depot for pennies. :)
Now the next step is to:
1. Fix the broken piece somehow...by gluing it or welding it?   OR
2. Find another alternative....
I'm working on the "find another alternative" solution, which I now believe is very close to fruition. It should be done earlier than I thought..so I'll keep you posted.  ;)
Cheers. Have a great Sunday.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 12:37:03 pm
try a 2 part glue product called rapid-fix. i think that will do the trick

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 07:35:55 pm
try a 2 part glue product called rapid-fix. i think that will do the trick
Hi Wildbill, thanks for the info.. "Barenekd" from this forum suggested the same thing to me..I looked on amazon/eBay and the wait is unknown..or approx 3 + weeks, I will still order the same..but didn't want to wait 3+ weeks  ;) to ride my bike in this awesome California weather.
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 07:40:12 pm
The only place I've seen to get the pump is CMW for about $300. I had to get one. Even the plastic pieces that the fuel lines hook to aren't "repairable". I did repair mine, but I haven't actually used it yet, though I don't think there would be a problem.
PM me if you end up needing a new one.
Bare
Thank you for your offer bare..I hope that I fix this by early this coming week, if not i might be tempted to take you up on your offer.   :)
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 11:08:53 pm
If I'm seeing things correctly, the round end of that block with the metal insert in the screw hole fits down into the outlet of the pump?
I believe an O-ring either goes onto that round end or it presses against a O-ring down inside the pump outlet?

I don't know if you own a micrometer or some vernier/dial calipers but it would be interesting to me to know the exact size of the smaller end of the block that fits down into the hole in the pump body.  This measurement needs to be accurate to the nearest .001 (one thousandth of an inch).

Ideally, some sort of metal tube could be the same size or sized down by mounting the tube in a chuck and then filed down with a large flat file.

Eventually, the existing block could be drilled and the metal tube could be epoxied into the body of the block.
This metal tube would become the new outlet for the pump and it certainly would be more robust than the existing plastic.

As for epoxies in direct contact with fuel, I haven't seen one yet that keeps its strength very long and with a 42psi outlet pump pressure, strength is paramount in this application.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:15 pm
If I'm seeing things correctly, the round end of that block with the metal insert in the screw hole fits down into the outlet of the pump?
I believe an O-ring either goes onto that round end or it presses against a O-ring down inside the pump outlet?

I don't know if you own a micrometer or some vernier/dial caliipers but it would be interesting to me to know the exact size of the smaller end of the block that fits down into the hole in the pump body.  This measurement needs to be accurate to the nearest .001 (one thousandth of an inch).

Ideally, some sort of metal tube could be the same size or sized down by mounting the tube in a chuck and then filed down with a large flat file.

Eventually, the existing block could be drilled and the metal tube could be epoxied into the body of the block.
This metal tube would become the new outlet for the pump and it certainly would be more robust than the existing plastic.

As for epoxies in direct contact with fuel, I haven't seen one yet that keeps its strength very long and with a 42psi outlet pump pressure, strength is paramount in this application.
Yes Arizoni,
It presses into the hole which does have a O ring seated at the bottom. I'm attaching a picture... I will have a friend measure the exact size, and post it.
Cheers,
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 11:50:17 pm
If it is using the O-ring as a face seal, IMO that is a really funky way to use a O-ring on a tube.

From my standpoint, assuming the O-ring is being used as a face seal it means another critical dimension would be from the underside of the block to the end of the projecting tube.

Anyway, thanks for your help in finding the size of the projecting tube. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 11:56:30 pm
If it is using the O-ring as a face seal, IMO that is a really funky way to use a O-ring on a tube.

From my standpoint, assuming the O-ring is being used as a face seal it means another critical dimension would be from the underside of the block to the end of the projecting tube.

Anyway, thanks for your help in finding the size of the projecting tube. :)
I agree, it is a funky setup.
You're welcome regarding the measurements..no problem  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:08 am
Read the labels on any adhesives and sealants you want to use, same for any replacement o rings.  Very few adhesives/epoxies are intended to withstand prolonged exposure to gasoline.

Scott