Author Topic: Passed 600 miles on my G5 Standard  (Read 1809 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:04 pm
I just passed 600 miles on my G5 standard. I havent had a problem since the side stand switch incident. It starts every time and is fun to ride. It really does need a few minutes warming up before I go out. If I do that it won't stall, period. Well, unless I fuck up with the clutch but that is happening less and less all the time.

Its is fun to ride. I will take it on a not busy freeway ride sometime soon.

I do hope my saddlebag mounts and crash bars arrive soon. Not being able to carry much of anything gets old.

Do you guys ride at highway speed without a windshield?
Cause that seems like a lot of wind to me.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:24:36 pm
The lambda sensor (oxygen sensor up front on the exhaust) is temperature sensitive and needs around 90 seconds to get activated. Until then the ECU gives a preset air fuel mixture.
Enough time to don gloves and helmet.
It's also goodfeeling to witness the engine getting in the mood and tune in oneself alongside.

I have a windshield from day one and as I cannot comment on riding without I would say duck deep if you're without.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:26:45 pm
Some higher speed freeway riding will be good for it but don't overdo it without backing off the throttle every so often to allow it a chance to cool its hot spots.  At least for the first rides.

I have a very nice windshield and I use it when I'm going to ride for long distances at freeway speeds (65-70 mph).  That's mainly for bug protection although a few do get past the top of the windshield and end up on my helmet or its visor.

For general riding I remove the windshield and enjoy the breeze (if it's cool).

Call it an ego thing but I think my G5 Deluxe's chrome fuel tank and fenders along  with its chrome crash bar and luggage rack looks too much like a Hardly Dresser when the windshield is installed. :(

You'll get used to the wind and if you have a good helmet that doesn't ROAR like a few of my old ones did at 65 you'll actually come to enjoy it.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:35 pm
I have 3300 mies on my c5, ne'er used a windshield, have had no problems except for the occasional bug attack...Ido freeway speeds of 70 + till I get the "wobbles"... ;D..
It would be nice to try a windshield though..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:15:29 am
once you run with the windshield.........it's very hard to go without. plus the added bonus of more mpg

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 02:18:33 am
Congratulations on the mileage. Great motorbikes!
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:22:24 am
I just took my screen off for the summer - got the my best MPG yet on a 160 mile ride.  I made some other changes, though...

I don't know how anybody rides at 70 or 80 mph without a screen.  I rode a steady 65 for a few miles today, and it's exhausting!  I guess I'm just out of shape - my butt hurts, too!

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31:34 am
I am loving this motorcycle. Its just fun to ride. I havent ridden anything else, except a Buell Blast. So far i am enjoying it. I suspect I will take it on the highway this weekend. I was on the access road and got close to 60 and it did fine. The wind was a bit much. Yet the motorcycle hummed along.

That thump sound can really bellow out sometimes. Its so different from all the Harleys I am used to hearing. In this case different is a great thing.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:53:28 pm
I now have 383 on mine, and so far no issues, and I haven't taken her over 65 indicated yet. I do notice the wind pressure at speeds over 50, but actually like its cooling through the vents on my jacket.  :) If I get a screen it will most likely be a Fly Screen. Seems like the taller ones tend to make it look like a HD.
Of interesting note, while stopped at a light I was pointedly ignored by the HD rider in the lane next to me.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:03:40 pm
Of interesting note, while stopped at a light I was pointedly ignored by the HD rider in the lane next to me.  :)
Happens to me quite frequently ..it's because the Hardleys..find competition a bit too much to handle.. ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011