Author Topic: Decompressor issue  (Read 1235 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:01 am
Hi,

I have had an ongoing issue with the B5 decompressor not engaging.

Sometimes the bike kicks over normally with normal resistance, other times you can virtually stand on the kick starter without it budging.  If its playing up, even bump starting will occasionally just lock the rear wheel when you let the clutch out.

The bike always electric starts fine (though may be putting a huge strain on the sprag clutch).

Interestingly once the engine fires up you can always hear the decompressor click at low revs.

Some Questions:

- has anyone else had similar issues ?
- is this likely to effect the electric starter eventually ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:58:40 am by GlennF »

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:43 am
1. Not that I've heard.
2. I'd imagine.

comment:  probably just a small return spring has sprung - do you have a dealer nearby ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:01:02 am
GlennF,

Just before TDC, at the hardest point, even I can stand on the kick lever. However, as soon as a bit more downwards force is applied, the kicker goes through. But I'm assuming yours is not? ('without it budging') That's very weird.

Considering we are officially in winter time now, even my decompressor clicks at lower revs till it warms up a bit. The oil thickens overnight and likes to hug the decomp if that makes any sense lol. I kick start the B5 and hold the bi-starter to keep the revs a bit high till it warms up and the decomp doesn't click.

I hope other members will have a better insight in to this issue. Hopefully it's nothing bad. Good luck!

edit - While I was typing, gremlin posted and referred to the spring on the exhaust cam..that can be the culprit. However, try kick starting it again..maybe (hoping) it's back to normal.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:04:00 am
The decompressor on my 2011 G5 has always been hard to use to get the piston to TDC with the kickstarter but I figured it was because the decompressor just barely raises the exhaust valve.
If I keep a continuous pressure on the kick lever it eventually raises the piston to TDC.
Once there, a good kick easily starts the engine. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:19:31 pm
1. Not that I've heard.
2. I'd imagine.

comment:  probably just a small return spring has sprung - do you have a dealer nearby ?

+1

Or it could be getting intermittently stuck in that trench bored into the face of the cam, and can't flip up.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.