Author Topic: 1960 Royal Enfield Indian Chief  (Read 17433 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:34 pm
Tom I think you can still get those filters from Hitchcocks. Good luck with the tires. The main reason I didn't change the back tire it was new when I got the bike and was a 6ply, took one look at that and said good enough.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 01:42:28 am
I ended up with one of those old Chief Volks filters from somewhere. It may have been on my Tomahawk when I purchased it but I can't remember. I purchased my first RE, a Trailblazer, about the same time as you Tom. A fellow I worked with way back when dragged the thing to town for trading material. He was an outlaw biker and was wanting to get back onto a big twin HD since all he had left was the frame that had been cable locked to a tree before being picked clean by thieves. I gave him 50 bucks for it and have had it ever since. When I moved down here to Texas in the mid 80s I drug it with me. I purchased most of my spares from Larry Graham over in Hunt, Texas. He was the editor of the REOCNA club news letter at the time and was one of the founding members of the club. He had more brand new NOS Indian Enfield stuff than I have ever seen before or since. One of these days I'm going to have to go over there and give that old Navy Seal a hard time just to see if he still has any of that stuff.

Kerby

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:33 am
Kerby, That old theory 'six degrees of separation' seems a little more likely.  Larry Graham sent me pictures and information when I first got this bike.  I never bought parts from him but he was a great help in those pre-internet days.  I used to buy most of my parts from Sam Avellino in Mass., Green Light and Accessory Mart/Domi-Racer.  I recently contacted Accessory Mart and sadly they are under control of a liquidation firm.  The world turns.  I haven't heard Larry's name in decades, nice man, I hope he is well.  Tom

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:14 pm
I think they are all gone now. George Helm died not too long ago and Sam's son sold much of his stuff to Hitchcocks. I never did get anything from Green Light but I purchased some stuff from Bob Michalak way back when. He may still be around.
I still hear about Larry now and then. He retired from running the summer camp but I think ownership is still in the family.