Author Topic: Mystery wire identification  (Read 5643 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 07:58:40 pm
Well, if it works it works!  I'd have spent a bunch of my time putting the headlamp back on the AC circuit.  But, I'm not known for always doing the simplest, most elegant thing.  Your way your headlamp doesn't dim at stoplights.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:22 pm
That is what I wanted too, but try as I might I could not see where the AC circuit came out of the harness at the front.  I didn't want to slice into the harness to figure it out either.  It's still charging, and I'm going to start racking up miles to see what other problems are lurking before a big ride to Canada later this month.  We'll know soon if it's going to fry the rectifier. 
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:12 pm
I ran a 4-wire to a DC-only setup.  Two leads each went to one of the two input wires to the DC R/R.  But there was one way that they worked, and another which put out next to nothing.  Assume that was a phasing thing.  When hooked up together in the right order, it gave plenty of power.  Unfortunately the right order was only discernable (for me) by trial and error.

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 05:49:23 pm
AgentX, I'm glad you validated that setup.  I think I will go the next step and connect as you descrbe for max output.  Have you ever had problems with the Reg/Rec after hooking up?  That is my only worry.
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 06:05:34 am
What your looking for on the wires is color coding.  Of the 4 wires, 2 wire insulations should be of the same color but different color stripes.  The other 2 should have a different color but match with different color stripes.  Example: blue/black stripe & blue/white stripe and green/black stripe & green white stripe.  Match the same color insulations together to 1 wire on the R/R and same with the other 2 wires.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 01:01:01 pm
What your looking for on the wires is color coding.  Of the 4 wires, 2 wire insulations should be of the same color but different color stripes.  The other 2 should have a different color but match with different color stripes.  Example: blue/black stripe & blue/white stripe and green/black stripe & green white stripe.  Match the same color insulations together to 1 wire on the R/R and same with the other 2 wires.

Scottie

Hm, mine had 3 amber and one purple as I recall.  Could only do it by taking an initial guess and seeing how it worked.

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 09:48:38 pm
Following up; I wired the 4 alternator output wires parallel into the two leading to the battery, and all is well.  The indicated charge on the ammeter goes nicely positive as it restores the battery after idling with headlight on, then levels out to just a hair positive after a block or two.  Before I would never see the needle much over a hair positive.  Been riding it to work all week and holds the same charge day after day.
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 09:55:22 pm
That's great news!  Glad you got it straightened out.  Do you by chance remember what the color coding was?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King