Author Topic: Rectifier Regulator Test  (Read 6696 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 10:01:00 pm
How come YouTube doesn't want to play the video for me?

Scott

Are you using iphone or smart phone to play the video ? 

Sometimes the music on my videos blocks them on iphone or smart phone, but they will play on computer in most of the countries.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 11:01:47 pm
Yes, blocked on the iPhone but even my desktop at work complains about 'not being allowed in playlists' or some such.  I'll try again later from home.

Thanks,
Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 12:24:17 am
The company computers at Honeywell can't get access to a number of sites on the web.
It's part of their security system.
  I also got the feeling that they had the strange notion that we should be working rather than frinkling around on the web when we were there.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:28:21 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:47:34 am
Yes, works just fine from home.  And I believe there were some 'security upgrades' at work recently. 

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:20 am
A little info on RRs.  It's mostly discussing the advantages of MOSFET but the info is all useful.

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/mosfet-regulator-rectifiers-why-how-25117/

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 03:16:42 pm
Ok, dumb question of the day. Since alternators produce AC that gets converted to DC, why did we ever change from generators with a voltage regulator to alternators in the first place?

No doubt you old guys recall magnetos too.

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:33 pm
Ok, dumb question of the day. Since alternators produce AC that gets converted to DC, why did we ever change from generators with a voltage regulator to alternators in the first place?

Some background info here:
http://www.allpar.com/eek/alternators.html
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:43 pm
So if I understand this right the RE UCE uses a full wave rectifier that is dumping half the sin wave part of the time to regulate the voltage?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 05:23:44 pm
I can understand how turning on the headlight lowers the system voltage and the RR offsets this by  increasing the alternator output to bring the voltage back up but doing that cannot change a half wave rectifier system into a full wave system........

I understand your frustration.  Looking at the schematic it LOOKS LIKE the RE uses a permanent magnet spinning around a three phase coil to produce electrical power.

Most japanese bikes use a ferro-reluctor that spins within the magnetic field created by the "field" coil (the field coil is controlled for intensity by the regulator) and then the 3-phase power is extracted, and, rectified to feed the electrical system.

the RE needs some sort of passive regulation system that either:

1. burns off extra energy to avoid over-charging
-or-
2. adjusts the resistance between the bridge rectifier and one of its output lines.

I suspect the latter.
oh, and GHG's suggestion of thyristors would fit that requirement nicely!
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:19 pm

Not dumb at all !!   I remember scratching my head over that one too !

An AC Generator....or Alternator is WAY more efficient , because it produces two waves instead one , as it spins. unlike an a DC generator, where you only get one.  Double the juice ! And there when you need it... In theory anyway, in our example.   That's why Thomas Edison Lost big time to Tesla and Blathy.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:52 pm
Also, alternators tend to throw out more power at low RPMs which means a car, even at idle, can be charging.  Generators tend to be draining the battery at low RPMs, which can be bad if you're doing a lot of stop and go driving.

Scott