Author Topic: ANYONE TRIED TO RE-BEND REAR BRAKE PEDAL ??  (Read 2288 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: May 25, 2013, 06:41:39 pm
While attending to readjusting my rear wheel, after it moving & tightening up my rear brake,  I'm thinking of attempting to re-shape my BRAKE PEDAL, by bending it closer to the exhaust. Stock- it is smack in the middle of the foot peg, leaving little room for my size 13's to miss it, I have to ride with one foot splayed - It should be snugged into the bike more. Also I've never needed a rubber pad on any of my British bikes- wish this just had a traditional checkered steel pedal.  I realise that I may loose some chrome if I reshape the pedal, I'm leaning toward comfort over chrome though. I can always put silver paint on bare spots, or paint it black like the Brits did.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:53:04 pm
It should be able to take a bit of bending. Just do it with a large radius and it shouldn't be a problem. Might even save the chrome.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:39 pm
"Also I've never needed a rubber pad on any of my British bikes- wish this just had a traditional checkered steel pedal...."

There is a 'traditional' checkered steel pedal below the rubber cover on the brake pedal, at least on my C5. Looks OK bare, if not a little slippery when wet, (I suppose, never tried it).

I too don't care for the 'modern' looking footpeg rubbers, and have installed the "Royal Enfield" logo footpeg rubbers on my C5, available from Hitchcocks. I removed the passenger pegs altogether - after all, it is a single seat motorcycle! I'm needing to replace the shift rubber with something a little more vintage looking too, should be fairly universal I should think from older BSA's, Triumphs, etc.

Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

NH Oldguy

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:44:26 pm
I had the same reaction to the rear brake pedal placement leaving no space for my foot.  I did remove the rubber pad, which helps a bit.  And I bent the lever as close to the exhaust as I could. 

I also added a spacer under the little rubber bumper that limits the top end of travel of the brake pedal.  (I loosened the brake adjuster first)  That got the pedal just under my right boot sole when riding with a comfortable ankle angle.   It's a bit awkward flexing my ankle further downward from this position to actuate the brake, so I adjusted it for very little free play.  I tend not to use the rear brake much, so it's not too much of an inconvenience.   

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:48:35 pm
On a British bike with forged Vanadium steel pegs & brake pedals, bending was nver a problem. However: On My G5 Deluxe & other EFI bikes, the Brake pedal is made from a VERY STOUT PEICE OF PIPE!  In order to bend it, I put it in my huge bench vise, using a bit of old tire to protect the finish, I was unable to exert enough pressure (even using aditional leverage) to bend it all, due to its curve, it would always move in the vise. I might have been able to acomplish the bend IF I crunched it in the bare jaws of the vise after heating it. I was unwilling to do that, so I put it back on the bike. I will make the best of it without the bulky rubber pad.  Wish I could find a compatible forged brake pedal-but guessing there aren't any.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:15:09 pm
i'm going to try the 50 ton hydraulic press we have in our shop at work. should do the trick!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:58 am
My biggest problem was holding it without damaging the surface. I probably could have bent it, but it kept moving in non abrasive jaws.... GOOD LUCK!!!