Author Topic: What's Your longest freeway run?  (Read 11603 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 06:52:20 pm
Trashing that chain is also a reason you were getting lousy mileage. The chain jumping all over the place eats lot of power! When I changed chains the mileage went up a bit and the vibration went down a lot!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 06:54:57 pm
My freeway commute is 36 miles each way, about 33 of those miles on I-10 at an indicated 70 mph. I very consistently get 67 mpg. Only changes I've made are the better plug and an 18T front sprocket. However, mileage did not noticeably improve when I had the sprocket installed, so I don't think that made a difference.

I have a B5 also, which has 19" wheels front and back. I know the speedometer reads high (indicated 70 is actually 65), but I don't know if the odometer is off by the same amount or not. If so, then the actual mpg is less.

Notice, my "fuelly" tag below says 64.4 mpg, but that includes all tanks since new. I used to go faster all of the time! (I used to run indicated 75 mph+ to keep up with traffic. Now I just accept that I'm the slow guy on the freeway. The speed limit is 65 anyway, and I have enough company at the slower speed that I don't feel like I'm holding things up.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:57:40 pm by Alan LaRue »
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:33 pm
My freeway commute is 36 miles each way, about 33 of those miles on I-10 at an indicated 70 mph. I very consistently get 67 mpg. Only changes I've made are the better plug and an 18T front sprocket. However, mileage did not noticeably improve when I had the sprocket installed, so I don't think that made a difference.

I have a B5 also, which has 19" wheels front and back. I know the speedometer reads high (indicated 70 is actually 65), but I don't know if the odometer is off by the same amount or not. If so, then the actual mpg is less.

Notice, my "fuelly" tag below says 64.4 mpg, but that includes all tanks since new. I used to go faster all of the time! (I used to run indicated 75 mph+ to keep up with traffic. Now I just accept that I'm the slow guy on the freeway. The speed limit is 65 anyway, and I have enough company at the slower speed that I don't feel like I'm holding things up.)

Alan,
I believe I was out your way this past Saturday.  I have friends in my old high school community of Baytown.  I rode the 56 Bullet from S/W Houston to Baytown and back home.  About a 100 miles roundtrip.  Took mostly feeder and frontage roads on 610 So. Loop and highway 225, Until the Fred Hartman bridge.  Maybe we can meet up one of these days when I'm out that way again. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:44 pm
  Maybe we can meet up one of these days when I'm out that way again. 

PM sent
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:48 am
Not that my uncalibrated ear really knows what speed Rich's bike is idling at but it sounds about right to me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:58 pm
For what it's worth, *I* think my bike idles a little fast. So I'll definitely bring it down a tad and see what happens.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:40 am
Hijack, maybe, but since we're talking about idle speed...

In the beginning, my bike idled way too high - I reset it, and it's been fine until just a couple of days ago when we had a little heat wave here in Maine - high 80's, pushing 90!  Now, my idle speed has dropped again, too low.  Even after warming up, it drops down to where the decompressor occasionally clacks.  Is the need to adjust the idle speed a seasonal thing, or maybe an occasional thing?

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:30 am
Like Alan LaRue, I too have a B5 with the countershaft sprocket upgrade, in addition to an EFI exhaust. I stopped charting my MPG after I realized that it never raised above 60 or too much below 55. My regular freewy commute is about 10 miles each way.

Also, like Alan, I too used to wring the hell out of my Bullet trying to keep up with the 70+ mph flow of traffic, but now prefer to stay between indicated 60-65... which of course is about five mph slower. I think I'd even go a little slower if I could just to lessen the tracking issues I experience on rain grooves.
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)