Author Topic: Has a G5 or C5 ever done the ton??  (Read 2332 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:43 pm
This may be a silly question, but has a modified C5 or G5 ever been independently recorded as going faster than 100 miles per hour? If so, what modifications were made to make that happen? How much would it cost? Is it worth it?

I don't want a sports bike. But the idea of a bit more power does sound enticing.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:10:49 pm
Do you want more power or do you want to go faster?  They're not necessarily the same thing.  Gearing choices are limited and there is a cutout around 5700RPM or so, so unless you are going to replace the ECU ($$$$$$$$) you're top end won't get much higher even with engine mods.

On the other hand, if you just want to get to the current top end faster and have a little more grunt down low there are a few things you can do.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:54:17 am by Ducati Scotty »

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:52:07 pm
This may be a silly question, but has a modified C5 or G5 ever been independently recorded as going faster than 100 miles per hour? If so, what modifications were made to make that happen? How much would it cost? Is it worth it?

I don't want a sports bike. But the idea of a bit more power does sound enticing.

I have not found any report of a C5 or G5 to make the ton.
Some time ago on Discovery (Cafe racers) a C5 was geared towards that goal but it failed, it stuck at 96.5 if I remember well.
Then again, since it's a tv show the conditions were not favourable.
And there are people around (and they're here too) that work longer and with more gusto on a mighty racer.   ;)

On the other hand, I just rode mine (electra) at WOT and it feels at least like Way Over Ton.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:40 am
Not anywhere near stock. You needs cams, valves, pistons, etc, etc, to do it. You basically ahave to build a race engine to get there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:26:03 am
We are aiming our upcoming Ace kit for the UCE to be capable of the Ton.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:39:22 am
We are aiming our upcoming Ace kit for the UCE to be capable of the Ton.
That would be awesome ace.... :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

kcRoyal

• KC Royal
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:52:45 pm
ACE...I've been following your UCE work on here and on your yahoo group. I haven't seen an expected completion date or kit available date. I apologize if I have missed it. It looks like you are planning somewhere between 32-38 Hp at the wheels with a top speed somewhere between 92-102mph. Do you have an estimate on when you think the new UCE top end will be available end how $ much.

Thanks! 
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:11 am
I once got my B5 up to an indicated 78 MPH with my fat ass on the back and it felt like "The Ton" to me!

;)
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:59 am
ACE...I've been following your UCE work on here and on your yahoo group. I haven't seen an expected completion date or kit available date. I apologize if I have missed it. It looks like you are planning somewhere between 32-38 Hp at the wheels with a top speed somewhere between 92-102mph. Do you have an estimate on when you think the new UCE top end will be available end how $ much.

Thanks!
Hi,
As the kit is still under development, it's hard to pin down release dates and figures. We need to get it all working to our satisfaction first, and the prices will be based on what things cost us to make. We just aren't there yet.
Our hopes would be that it might be in the autumn months. We will be starting work on the piston in early August, and it takes at least two months for those to get produced. Once it's all together, we need to program the new ECU and do some test riding, which could be easy or could take a long time to get it all sorted.
So, it's up in the air, but we're moving as well as we can.
We're going to try to keep the price of the whole thing(headwork, piston, boring/honing, ratio rockers, ECU) under $2k, if we can.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:35:32 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !