Author Topic: 1955 super meteor return oil pump issue  (Read 12165 times)

AB55TB

• Scooter
  • I love anything with a motor
on: May 25, 2013, 04:11:48 pm
Ok I have a 1955 super meteor that has a really fine running motor, then this issue with the oil building up in crank case started...so I noticed the return pump started building pressure an pushing oil out the end cap, plus the return tube in the oil fill neck has no oil coming out when engine runs :/ So I did a complete oil pump rebuild an plus new oil filter an components,an I cleaned all oil passages in the timing cover, an now I still have the same problem... So can it be that there is a blockage in the return tube, or in the engine block its self? I have went over the oil discs to make sure they are the proper ones,an that they are in correct... So does anyone have a helpful input as of what the problem may be, or what direction to go in next?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:18:07 pm by AB55TB »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:24 pm
Have you tried blasting compressed air through the oil passages?  I just did a oil change on my forks last night and there was chucks of crud in there and I had to use my blow gun in the top of the fork tube to get all the chunks out and to get everything to drain.  Depending on how long the bike sat with oil, it's possible there was sludge and grime that could have clogged any one of the passages.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:39:05 pm
Well I guess that's my next move then, I have done the timing cover, but not the engine block, was maybe thinking of using some kind of wire, an trying to get it through one of the passages... Thanks Scottie.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01:35 pm
You could try using some guitar strings to clean the passages too.  They're long, flexible and cheap.

Scottie

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:13 pm
Ok I will try that, I have to do something this is a really good motor an I would like to get it lined out so we can get this bike on the road to recovery... Thanks again.

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:57 pm
Ok I will try that, I have to do something this is a really good motor an I would like to get it lined out so we can get this bike on the road to recovery... Thanks again.
also Also ERC..if you or anyone else have any thing that you would like to add to help me figure out this crazy problem please feel free to do so...it's really good to know that there is other people out there that have so many tips an ideas for these bikes, this time last year I never knew existed lol    ::)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:14:14 pm by AB55TB »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 05:26:37 am
I have essentially the same bike as you, and I knew absolutely nothing about it until I joined this forum.  I've been having different problems getting my bike going, I was having ignition/timing issues, but I'm pretty close to having everything sorted out now.  Aside from pissing oil on everything everywhere I go on it.    ;)   I wish I knew more about the oiling system, but mine is working fine so I haven't had to worry about it.  I do know it's dinosaur technology and there isn't much to these motors at all.  Good luck with this.

Scottie

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:44 am
Thanks Scottie, it has been fun so far I do enjoy working on things, I have to say though this is a different breed lol from what I'm use to, I just figured the oil pump would have enough pressure to keep oil flow, I mean since it has enough to blow out the end cap...I will gut this motor to find the issue, thanks again buddy   ???

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:53 am
Well got the engine back apart, but can't get to the oil return tube, its plugged up bad...cant get air to go through it... But did get air to go through oil ports on engine block,but the strainge thing is that you can blow air through the oil port where timing cover goes an hear air blowing back in the tank   :-\ so I thought that the only way the oil port was supposed to be open to the oil tank was through the return oil tube? But I can make air go into it by blowing through the oil pump port where timing cover goes, but can't get any type of wire down the tube or any brake cleaner...even tried SEA FOAM nothing so I'm at a stand still scratching my head  ???

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:02:21 am
Did you take all the small screws or bolts out of the front and bottom of the engine block where the timing cover bolts on?  Remove them and blow air through them. They all should have air come out of a passage somewhere else on the block.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:25:58 pm
ERC...Yes I removed all of them, I have air coming out of them, I was wondering if that oil return tube that comes out of the fill spout is only a one way flow, should I be able to blow air back through the return tube? All the other oil guides seem to be clear, just this one problem.. :-\ ....thanks you ERC

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:38:06 pm
The tube is not one way but there is a relief valve that may stop it in one direction. If I remember the early ones have two valves. I'll check when I go home for lunch on one of the ones I have on the bench to see what blows in and out of that passage.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:49:13 pm
The two bolts or screws with the gasket that are on thefront of the case. The bigger one goes directly to the return tube. blow air in that one, should be free both ways. There is also a screw that is right next to the big drain plug set in ahole that goes to the crank sump that allos the oil to be picked up by the return pump. I think I would unscrew that and blow some air in that.  ERC

AB55TB

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:19:48 pm
ERC...yes you are right the big one on the front does go to the return tube.. Should I be able to run a wire through that ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:30:54 pm by AB55TB »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:02 pm
You can, I'd do that and blow about 90lb of air through it. Along with some CRC electronic cleaner. The stuff melts grease and evaporates fast.  ERC