Author Topic: Headlamp indicator  (Read 1624 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:23 pm
The state of Georgia requires the use of headlamp 24-7.  I removed the jumper so that the bike could be started with the headlamp off.  I then mounted an indicator to remind me to turn on the headlamp.
The indicator consists of an LED in a case made from a 1" length of 5/8" aluminum rod.  A small aluminum plug with the leads passing through it was pressed in behind the LED.  The LED was insulated from the aluminum with a series of O-rings and RTV silicone.  This case was epoxied onto the aluminum mount.  The leads from the LED were connected to the wire going to the switch (yellow) and the wire going from the switch to the dip switch (yellow/red).  With headlamp switch off, the LED comes on with ignition.  It goes off when headlamp is on either low or high beam.    GA-DK

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:58:50 pm
I never remember to reduce resolution on the camera when taking photos for posting.  Sorry.  Here is a photo of the indicator with ignition on and headlamp off.    GA-DK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:12:32 pm
Arizona doesn't have a requirement mandating that the headlight must be on during the daylight hours but I ride with it on just for the extra safety.

After disconnecting my headlight jumper wire I installed one of the LED voltage meters sold by Nfieldgear.  I connected its power lead to the gray wire in the casquette that normally powers the extra parking light that some bikes have inside their headlight.

A quick glance at the volt meter tells me if the parking or headlights are on so I've gotten into the habit of just pushing the headlight switch all the way to the left to make sure I'm not just running with only the parking lights on.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:24:53 pm
+1.  I have done the same thing with the pilot light wire and the NFieldgear voltmeter.  This way I am reminded to switch on my headlight each time I start the bike.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome