Author Topic: Help wanted: Replacement Solo Seat for C5  (Read 8241 times)

kcRoyal

• KC Royal
  • Scooter
on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:57 am
I am looking for a replacement solo seat for a C5. There are a few I've seen, that will specifically fit on a C-5, but its extremely difficult to find any pictures of the seat on it. I am aware of the "large American" leather solo seat on Hitchcocks; Delux Solo Seat on Nfield Gear; and a few on e-bay. I would rather not spend the money and find out 1) it doesn't really fit or 2) that I dont care for the way it looks. I would really appreciate if anyone has purchased a replacement solo seat for a C5....would you be so kind as to post some pics with a description of the seat, any mounting problems, price, and where it was purchased. Thanks in advance!
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Paul_in_Oz

• Neophyte
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 03:47:22 am
Hi
    I changed my standard seat as I liked the look of the new set and wanted to add a pillion seat so my partner could come along as well, I got this set from Royal Enfield zone but when I went to fit it found that the rear bracket for the rear seat didn't attach to anything  :o I ended up buying a "lycette" style seat and used the bracket from that on the rear seat and it all worked well. I was lucky in that one of my Indian staff at work sourced it all and had friends bring it over so all up for the 3 seats it was under A$100
Here is the seats when I first tried to fit them, as you can see the rear bracket goes no where

Then after I fitted the Lycette bracket and finished the job, I do want to jack up the back of the front seat though as it does tend to feel like you are sitting "uphill"

I have only ridden about 120km in one go on the seat so far but it is surprisingly comfortable

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:08 am
I went with the Cobra Low-Profile Solo from NFG. Cost: $300 US, and since it was supposed to come with the bike the dealer installed it at the Initial Service at 300 miles. I've put 86 miles on it since and find it very comfortable in addition to dropping my butt a few inches and improving the ride ergonomics. It did change the shifting dynamic so I had to pull the shift lever and bump it up one tooth to raise the rubber to accommodate my rather fat feet, but that was an easy adjustment.
As I said, the dealer installed it, but the L-brackets kind of stuck out the way they did it and I like a cleaner look, so I took it off and re-installed with the L-brackets facing inward, and used the stock spacers to fill the gap. Some minor adjustments to height and centering and it's good to go.
Be aware there are no springs since it mounts directly to the frame lugs, so you do the math.  :)
Personally, I'm ok with the ride, though I'll either knock the shocks down a notch or maybe even go with the Hagons.
Here's pic of the bike:
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

dougodewitt

• Scooter
  • 2019 INT650 Baker Express
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:59:18 am
Hi
    I changed my standard seat as I liked the look of the new set and wanted to add a pillion seat so my partner could come along as well, I got this set from Royal Enfield zone but when I went to fit it found that the rear bracket for the rear seat didn't attach to anything  :o I ended up buying a "lycette" style seat and used the bracket from that on the rear seat and it all worked well. I was lucky in that one of my Indian staff at work sourced it all and had friends bring it over so all up for the 3 seats it was under A$100
Here is the seats when I first tried to fit them, as you can see the rear bracket goes no where

Then after I fitted the Lycette bracket and finished the job, I do want to jack up the back of the front seat though as it does tend to feel like you are sitting "uphill"

I have only ridden about 120km in one go on the seat so far but it is surprisingly comfortable

so compared to the stock seat, how does the large american style seat feel? My stock seat feels like a rock after 45 min in the saddle.
RIDE, ride, NOW! Ride!

Paul_in_Oz

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:08:19 am
It's pretty good actually, although I do need to raise it at the back a bit as it sits a bit low so seems to cut into my inner thigh a bit, I'm sure if I raise it about 10mm it will be fine but it's not that much of an issue that I have bothered to do it yet.

BLACKC5

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:06 am
Hi kcRoyal,
I also wanted to change the seat on my C5, looked around for months, could not find anything that I liked,in the end I had one custom made, it cost me $450.00 including fitting.
I found a guy that makes custom bike seats, he hand makes them to fit any bike.
I am looking for a replacement solo seat for a C5. There are a few I've seen, that will specifically fit on a C-5, but its extremely difficult to find any pictures of the seat on it. I am aware of the "large American" leather solo seat on Hitchcocks; Delux Solo Seat on Nfield Gear; and a few on e-bay. I would rather not spend the money and find out 1) it doesn't really fit or 2) that I dont care for the way it looks. I would really appreciate if anyone has purchased a replacement solo seat for a C5....would you be so kind as to post some pics with a description of the seat, any mounting problems, price, and where it was purchased. Thanks in advance!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:11:11 pm
RE dealers in the US have two new custom single C5 seats. An added bonus is that they lower the seat 2.5-3.5 inches depending upon model. (This is not our lowering kit)

Click here: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/perewitz-s-premium-low-seats.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:20:52 am
RE dealers in the US have two new custom single C5 seats. An added bonus is that they lower the seat 2.5-3.5 inches depending upon model. (This is not our lowering kit)

Click here: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/perewitz-s-premium-low-seats.html

Kevin, do these have to be ordered through a dealer?  The website says they are unavailable.

Thanks....
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 03:14:46 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the website. We have lots of them in stock.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:16:48 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 04:27:47 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the website. We have lots of them in stock.

So can these be ordered direct from the website?
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:51 pm
This is a dealer only item. Here is a list of dealers. If you have any trouble at all let me know. They really are a good seat.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/locator/dealers/usa/start

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 07:12:47 pm
OO,OO,Thanks Kevin, a new Enfield dealer and less than 5 miles from me! Yah!
Robert & REnfield with a B5 in my future! 8) 8) 8)

kcRoyal

• KC Royal
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:50:27 am
All,  Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. I did purchase a cobra seat (mostly to get the Mrs to ride the bike, but it still is too high seating height for her...have to start a new subject on best way to lower bike)...It is nice, but I am still looking for something a bit more retro in style. I really like the style of blackc5's, and dougodewitt's. I really enjoy seeing RE riders personal ingenuity in modifying their bikes.... :)
2012 C5 Classic Chrome