Author Topic: 12v coil  (Read 11353 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 04:14:07 pm
Yes indeed caps are affected by heat and break down. I was under the impression that if your cap is bad that you would noticed excessive pitting of the points...When the bike came home dead from your 2 hour ride, did u noticed what the battery voltage was?  Have you taken off the ground wires from the battery and located the other ends to see if they are indeed grounded to bare metal on the chassis (Especially the main wire that goes behind the battery box?  A intermittent high resistance ground can cause strange issues like this too..A dremel tool is helpful for removing rusty contact points....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 06:03:28 pm
I'm of the mind that the new 12v coil is still the source of my mis fire.  Why?  because it was not running rough before the coil went out.  It ran smooth and easy for 100 miles.  Now it fires up easily but mis fires when it warms up.  I've thought throughout this  process that the coil may be too hot?  Too much for the system.  The coil I took off it is Lucas and has 12v on the label.  It's a smaller scale diameter and height then the new one from NAPA.  Had to find coil bracket to fit the new one.  The NAPA coil has a label on it that indicates requires a resistor.  I asked both my techs if it needs one, both said no.  It appears to have the original distributer.  But, the electrics have been updated from 6v to 12v.  The battery is 12v.  I took it out of the box today and made sure all connections were tight.  I inspected the coil wire to the coil end and appeared snug fit into the top of the coil.  The spark plug end is tight.  It's the type that has the threaded push on type end that mirrors the plug connector is also push on threaded.   The seller rode it daily to work, although not that far.  I've communicated with him several times to ask about this issue and he is also stumped.  Again, running well before the coil went out. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 11:25:20 pm
I don't know about your coil but there are some automotive coils for 12 volt systems that are made to run on 12 volts during starting and at lower voltage after the engine is started.

To accomplish this on the cars, a wire is run from a terminal on the starter motor solenoid to the coil.  When the starter motor is activated, a full 12 volts (minus the voltage drop the battery has when its being called on to provide a lot of power) is sent to the coil.

Another 12 volt wire in the ignition circuit goes from the key to a ballast resister.  A wire from the ballast resister goes to the coil.  This provides a lower voltage for the coil while the engine is running.

If you have this type of 12 volt coil and you are running it without the ballast resister that could overheat it.

To see if overheating is the problem have you stopped the bike and touched the outside of the coil?  If it was overheated I would think it would be very hot.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 12:10:26 am
Arizoni is correct the ballast resistor is used to reduce the voltage to the coil to about 9v for running it also helps the points last longer. On older cars they used a circuit to bypass the resistor so it received 12v giving a hotter spark for starting. Could very well be you put the wrong coil on there resulting in your problem. Look up the # on your coil on the computer and see if it requires a resistor. If it does try one that runs on 12v all the time and try it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:00 am
Thanks ERC and Arizoni.  The NAPA coil part number was offered here on the forum in this post back on page 1 from Baird4444.  I have a NAPA resistor that is compatible with the new coil.  It's a ceramic external type that mounts to the same area as a coil.  As a newbie on this, where does it tie into the wiring?  One side from the distributer and the other side is the battery ?
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 12:49:03 am
Not all blue coils are the same. Some have internal ballast resistors and others do not.

Here's a link to an informative article on the subject.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:59:43 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 12:50:24 am
Hook it to the positive side of the coil. That's the wire that will go to the ignition switch. The negative side goes to the distributor. Just hook a wire to one side and the wire you took off the coil to the other side.    ERC
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:56:13 am by ERC »
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:13 am
Thanks. 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 05:45:15 pm
Well, I may be back on the road.  I found a place here called BAP GEON.  It's a physical and online European parts store.  I went over there this morning and bought another coil thinking I have to eliminate what was put on since it quit running on me a few weeks ago.  Bosch Blue ( Brazil made).  Swapped out the new NAPA with the Bosch and started it up.  As you know, idle and kick start was good with the NAPA coil.    I rode it for 30 minutes, same time period for the stutter and misfire to reveal itself with the NAPA coil.  Only this time, no misfire.  Rode it, rode it and rode it some more.  And no misfire.  Went out to the highway feeder road and rode it some more.  No misfire.  I hope this continues....  Thanks for your assistance. I'll be back!!!!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:18 pm
AWESOME!  That's great news!  Glad you're back up and running.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:38 pm
Replaced the spark plug after locating the NGK type for it.  Bike has not been run in a few days and went out to the garage last night and put the new spark plug in.  Kicked it one time and it started right up. Yea...  Rode it around the neighborhood and its peppy and strong.  The part I'm still trying to get used to is the lack of windshield.  I've ridden bikes with a shield since the late 80's, so its strange and noisy to ride without one even on this little bike.  Can't imagine putting on a wind deflector of any type based on the looks and options I may have.  I normally ride a big cruiser and wear a FF Modular, but with the vintage RE, I'm wearing a 1/2 helmet with wrap around shades.  I'm going to try one of my other helmets that is a 1/2 style with neck curtain to cover the ears.  The wind noise and buffeting is somewhat annoying and keeps me from riding very far.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:26:58 pm by rvcycleguy »