Author Topic: 12v coil  (Read 11349 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 12:52:09 pm
Still have issues...  Rode it last evening and kick starts first time.  Excellent.  Idles well.  First gear, 2nd gear all seems well.  3rd into 4th, as long as I'm rolling on throttle, seems fine. Good acceleration.  Wen I roll off and maintain speed, it miss fires.  The farther I ride it, the worse it gets?  Like choke is stuck.  But it's off and I can move the linkage up and down.  It's sticky, like it needs some cleaner there but it does appear to shut off.  And when I apply the choke, it really falls off.  Shut choke off, and it idles well, takes off well in low gears, but after that it miss fires.  At some point, it hard to explain miss fires or engine missing due to the speed I'm carrying and the wind noise does not allow me to hear the engine and muffler to know exactly the miss fire.  But it's definitely jerking and sputtering.  Back down in gears and seems fine again.  Any suggestions.  Previous owner asked me last night, was I aware of the spark plug check after a carb clean? 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:36:21 pm by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 04:26:19 pm
Is the bike utilizing points/condenser and if so have you checked the gap when the piston is right at BTDC ? 
Assuming u have done that procedure and it check out correctly , you might as well check the valve train clearances. Even before you try any of this, if your riding with the throttle on (say 4th gear) and you flip the choke/en- richer tab, do you notice any difference with it up or down? 
Oh Magoo you done it again

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 04:38:18 pm
It is utilizing point and condensor.  i will check the gap.  yes, the engine performance falls off considerably when I push down on the choke lever while riding. 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45:53 pm
The choke should be completely open when warmed up and riding. If it falters when closed when warm then that is normal. If it makes bike run better closing when warm then you most likely have carb fuel delivery problems, clogged jets, dirt, etc.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 06:07:06 pm
Just had the carb rejetted and cleaned two days ago by a well experienced shop here for vintage bikes.  Problem existed before I took it in there!  Some of the issues were fixed like hard start, no idle.  Tech told me he rode the bike several times around the shop neighborhood.  I also rode the bike after picking it up and it started on first kick, rode well in low gears and then decided to ride to a buddies house 20 minutes away and it performance fell off every mile. 

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 06:41:35 pm
I have u verified the size of your pilot jet...Being a older bike, I would think it has a after market exhaust...Obviously your're starting the bike (even if its cold natured) and riding around...I would shut off the gas petcock and pull off the carb bowel carefully and pull out the pilot and main jet to check if they are blocked and find out what size u have....Might just be u need a bit larger for both....
Oh Magoo you done it again

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:48 pm
My tech told me yesterday he took out a 25 and put in a 30?  Hope these numbers help?  As your understanding, the bike starts right up, idles and rolls on throttle very well in neutral.  Then as I ride away, its good up through 1-2  gears and then in 3rd and 4th, when I'm not rolling on anymore throttle, it begins to miss fire.  Last night, it seemed to me that if I rolled on throttle in 3rd , it was steady acceleration, then when I put it in 4th, it fell way off and if I rolled on more throttle it would clear out and smooth, but If I rolled off, it then miss fired
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:26:35 pm by rvcycleguy »

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 07:12:06 pm
I appreciate everyones comments this morning.  I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but its been a few decades since I messed with points, condenser, coil, carb, etc.  I rebuilt and maintained a 69 MGB for years so I'm accustomed to Lucas but lost most of that hands-on long ago.  These bikes seem so simple... how hard could it be? right.  My non British everyday bike with EFI and ECU is maintence free.  I knew what I was asking for when i bought the bike a few weeks ago.  Beautifully restored and updated and starts everytime.  just won't run smoothly on the road?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 10:58:09 pm
Did you try something simple like changing the spark plugs and checking the gap? About .020"  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 12:12:39 am
Condensers are hit and miss in this day and age. You can buy a brand new one and it won't meet the capacity check and many times they aren't proper micro farad spec or they leak like a sieve. I usually buy 2 or 3 at  time to insure I get at least one good one. Old Lucas parts were wax paper wound and they are crap so stay away from NOS Lucas stuff.

Also check your fuel supply and make sure you have good flow to the carb.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 02:17:52 am
Allow me to update and also review the thread. 

Went on a nice 2 hour ride with a group.  All went well outbound.  No mis firing, no stutter, solid cruise.  On the way back, bike quit running.  No fire at all.  Got it back home and took it to a tech garage that I trust.  He tested the coil and no fire.  Ordered a new one and installed it.  Fired right up.  Brought it home and rode it to work on Friday of that week.  Mis fired many times and almost did not get home.  Had to run it with choke on.  Took it to another shop that handles vintage bikes.  He cleaned and rejected the Mikuni carb from 25 to 30.  Fires right up, good idle and no choke.  I put a new spark plug in today and rode it again.  Still same symptoms.  Mis fire under load.  1st gear seems ok. 2nd gear seems ok.  3rd and 4th just stutters all over itself.  Gets worse the longer I ride it.  If I put the choke on while riding its worse. Will actually die if I leave it on too long.  Starts right back up, first kick.  No choke.  Idles fine again.  Take off and it stumbles under load. 

I've checked the coil wire on both ends for tight connection. Could be the condenser?  Breaking down under load?  Thanks,  RV
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:33:39 am by rvcycleguy »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 01:30:23 pm
Coil and condenser will both breakdown when hot, OK when cold. Very hard to test by the time you get them hooked up to test they're cooled down and can test ok.  ERC

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:17 pm
Thanks ERC.  Is there a local store bought condenser available for the old style set up?  I found the coil at NAPA based on a post here with the part number equivilant.  Is there a compatible condenser? 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:06 pm
Yes, it does appear to stutter, mis fire after its warmed up.  Have ridden it several times today and when cold, it's strong performance.  After a few minutes going up to 100km and back down several times, it does begin to mis fire more and more the longer I ride it. 

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 04:09:41 pm
You asked about 12V coil is your ignition system 12V? The bike you say is 1955 all of them were 6V. If it was changed to 12V it could be your condenser is 6V and breaks down with 12V. Is the distributor original. If original the # is LU/491329. But that's a 6V one. I would think if you need a 12V one a later Bullet one may fit. ERC
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:11:55 pm by ERC »