Author Topic: 12v coil  (Read 11355 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
on: May 25, 2013, 12:52:05 am
Is there a USA source for a 12v coil? for a vintage RE Bullet? 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:25 am
any normal 12vt automotive coil will work. You simply need to add a bigger coil bracket
Oh...the English ones are available on Ebay

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:41:06 am
The Bosch Blue coil has been a hop up replacement for a while just as it was for hopping up a VW
back in the 60's and 70's. There is also an easy replacement from NAPA. Below is from my files....
                - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MIKE,
I'VE SEEN YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE BOSCH BLUE COIL. JUST RECEIVED MINE TODAY. HERE IS SOME INFORMATION I HAVE FOR YOU.
BOSCH BLUE COIL PURCHASE:
AFTER MUCH RESEARCH http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html & http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/coilhdbblue.htm I ORDERED A COIL FOR MY BULLET FROM VICTOR COMP. PRODUCTS BECAUSE HE HAD THE CORRECT COIL FOR THE BEST PRICE $26.95. WHEN I WAS AT MID OHIO VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE DAYS DRS CYCLE HAD THE BOSCH COIL FOR SALE BUT IT WASN’T THE "GOOD" COIL ACCORDING THE ABOVE WEB SITES. THIS IS WHAT DRS CYCLE SAYS ABOUT THE BOSCH BLUE COIL (Bosch blue coil ,this item will single handedly increase performance by bolstering the ignition system , this will increase the voltage from 35,000 to 50,000 volts . This will improve the combustion process and is a better quality coil! $45.95.
12/27/2004
TERRY...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/coilhdbblue.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Info from a NAPA tractor coil that works…
Hello all!
The NAPA Part number is IC12SB. Check to make sure you get the correct
resistor/non-resistor model.
Ask, look at the box, then check the coil before you walk out :)
It runs about $14.99 US plus tax
Mine works fine, but for the life of me I can remember if it is resistor
or non, but I /think/ it is non.
Course, it works so I never have to look at the darned thing, but I
still keep my little tiny original one in the side can just in case.

Have fun!
-=Bryian=-
(4 inches of snow yesterday morning-60 degrees today and sunny- Got to
/love/ Ohio weather!)

--
Nothing real can defeat us. Nothing unreal exists.
-B. Banzai

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The good Bosch blue coil will have the bracket attached and a circular label on it. The cheap ones are a different shade of blue and do not have the bracket attached and have a square label on them. They both use the exact same part number, so when ordering you need to specify THE GOOD ONE or the one with the bracket ATTACHED. Many budget vendors (full page rag ads) pawn the cheap ones off as the good BLUE coils, since they are both blue

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:01 am
Thanks guys. 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 03:22:45 pm
All the small coils are for motorcycles. Standard ignition most generally use a 1.5 Ohm primary. The electronic coils are generally less for a reason. you will have to find out which system you have to get the correct coil. You might call up to Fairbault & ask them how to ID the set up you have unless you have a local royal enfield dealer to ask.  If the stuff on the bike is lucas, then it's the old standard ignition with points & condenser & distributor otherwise known as a battery ignition.

The wrong coil can do damage to an electronic control box if that's what it has.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:25:12 pm by rotorwrench »

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:59:17 pm
Thanks rotorwrench. I located the NAPA part # IC12SB this morning.  Much bigger and does not come with a bracket.  The old coil and bracket will not accommodate.  I do not see a resister mounted anywhere so, non resistor looks like what I need. 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:38:42 pm
Ordered the IC12 and ICB10 Bracket and ICR13 resistor. Be in later today.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:38:41 am
Put a new 12v coil on it.  Used the NAPA part number offered here by a forum member.  Back on the road again.  Thank guys.  Kick starts much easier now.  The one that came off it was an old Lucas brand.  Had to use a new bracket that was ordered with the NAPA coil.  No resistor. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:14:16 am
Glad to hear you're back on the road.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:51:29 pm
Bike starts easily and idles well.  But, it seems to have a misfire under a load?  At low speed, it sounds fine but when I roll on the throttle, it misfires repeatedly.  Rode the bike to my workplace on Friday and the trip there is about 10-15 miles.  Has to ride with the choke ON the whole way there.  Then in the afternoon ride home, it was misfiring and almost did not get home without stalling it.  Coughing, sputtering, etc. 

I start it up yesterday after sitting for 2 days and starts easy, roll on throttle in garage and seems fine.  Again, its seeems though under a load of that the problem arises?

is the new coil too hot and burning the points?  Did not use a resistor.  Do I need on? 

thanks,

rv 

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 04:10:33 pm
If your using the choke to keep it going I would think your carb needs attention.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:35 pm
yes, the carb was also something I was thinking about.  I've not added gas since I bought it a month or so ago.  ODO is in KM and I've not yet calculated how far the tank will go.  It may be down at the bottom and picking up some trash?   

thanks. 

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:21:51 am
If you want an exact conversion from km to miles, divide the number of km by .621.
If you want an approximate mile number divide the km by .6 .

Your bullet should be able to give you over 240 km (150 miles) on a tank of gas.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 02:48:33 pm
Thanks Arizoni.  My fuel tank has been modified and enlarged.  From my understanding from the seller, it has an addtional 2 gallons. 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:35:41 pm
Update on the 56. 

I road it to work last Friday after putting in the new coil   Cranked up fine and was going good.  Then started to miss fire when I rolled on the throttle.  Got to work and parked it.  On the way home it got worse and almost did not make it home. 

Took it to a tech who specilizes in vintage and he checked it out. He felt that the old coil was covering up a dirty carb issue?  May have been there all along but the old and weak coil was part of the problem.  I had to run with the choke on most days.  He cleaned the carb and put a larger jet in as well.  Picked it up at lunch today and he demonstrated how nice it idles and how I don't need the choke.  Does need it to kick start but as soon as it fires up, he flicked it off and the bike ran very good.   I'm not wanting to rely on tech service but the bike is old and new to me, so for the first few weeks, I wanted to have an expert check it out.