Author Topic: My local shops aren't selling Enfies any longer... :(  (Read 6931 times)

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:50:20 pm
With that said, the US isn't a prime market for the Royal Enfield because the power and performance don't meet the expectations of the American motorcycle consumer.  Regardless of how well the Royal Enfield is built and how reliable the UCE engine is compared with its predecessor, American riders typically want a bike with more power.  I think the plan I saw for Royal Enfield targeting emerging markets in Africa and South America is brilliant.  The gas prices are higher the roads are typically smaller and their are a lot of people that would appreciate the UCE 350 and 500s.

If RE brings out a twin, it might have a real chance in the US especially if gas prices continue to rise.  However, bang for the buck wise, Honda's new CB500F twin is listed in the $6,000+ range, has 44hp, a large dealer network, a reputation for reliability, and is available with ABS.  In a head to head comparison all Royal Enfield has in its favor is classic styling, which unfortunately doesn't appeal to every buyer and keeps it a niche market bike.

But it's interesting that Honda thinks there's a market for a 500 now. Suzuki (GS500) and Kawasaki (Ninja 500) only pulled out of the 500 market a couple of years ago.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:21 pm
But after the economy hit bottom and the gas prices hit the top, small bikes are becoming de regueur again. Look how the 250 Hondas and 300 Kawasakis are selling! Although the Honda 500 looks pretty nice, they are definitely low end duffer bikes. I don't think I'd want one! I'd rather have the 300 Kawasaki.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:47:40 pm
The Honda 500s are definitely built to a price point but looked pretty clean when I saw them up close.  You can see they saved money on the suspension and the rest of the bike is pretty basic, but it didn't look cheap.  I am glad to see that someone is offering something between a 250 entry bike and a 600 sport bike.  The GS500 was always a very basic bike, air cooled twin with not much special.  The Ninja 500 was a great little bike but the styling was surely dated.

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 08:55:00 pm
I do not understand why RE does not run a few ads in big cities, let the folks know they exist. My guess an ad in maybe Creative Loafing or something like that in ATL would help exposure thus sales.

Surely ads in LA and Frisco would do the same.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:50 pm
+1.  Just put a cheap ad in the local hipster newspapers and the cities would be crawling with them!

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 10:04:31 pm
+1.  Just put a cheap ad in the local hipster newspapers and the cities would be crawling with them!

They could replace the scooters in Austin! Austin is so funky, anyway, and you see so many motorcycles from the 70s being used as everyday rides, you'd think people starting to have a little more money to spend would be good prospects for Royal Enfield.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:16 pm
They could replace the scooters in Austin! Austin is so funky, anyway, and you see so many motorcycles from the 70s being used as everyday rides, you'd think people starting to have a little more money to spend would be good prospects for Royal Enfield.

I totally agree. Wonder why Kevin doesn't ask RE for some co-op ad money and get the word out. I bet places like Austin, Frisco, LA etc would be hot beds for this kind of bike.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:34 pm
That would "Keep Austin Weird" 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:59:48 pm
When is the last time you went to a RE dealer and saw a bunch of RE motorcycles siting there? I bet it doesn't happen much.
My guess is if you really advertised ,there would  be allot of disappointed people waiting for their RE to show up from India.
I have been to 2 shops this year, never saw more then 3 bikes at a time, and that was a from a shop that sold over 30 a year.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21:34 am
The BMW dealer I mentioned had 5 RE's sitting in the showroom and one outside the front door the last time I went there.
I should add the 5 RE's were sitting in a showroom that was packed with new BMW's of all models and I got the feeling they were there more to urge the prospective buyer to get a BMW than to actually sell a RE.
I say this because one of their salesmen wanted me to see his nifty new Beemers and didn't say a word about the RE's.  To give him the benefit of doubt, I'm sure he noticed that I rode up on my RE G5.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 01:41:27 am
Well good news about the former Enfie shop out in Waynesboro. Not being able to help me with the warranty issue (thrown guide bolt in the front caliper) Mike made a new one on his lathe and is sending it by mail. I'll be back on the road this weekend.

That's customer service worth having. :) They may not sell Enfie's any longer but they'll get my business for service. 
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:55 am
Talking to my dealer in El Dorado Springs MO, He didn't come out and say it flat out but it was hinted at that he was thinking about getting out of the enfie business, just because of a general lack of interest in the bikes.  While I was sitting there they sold a Polaris ranger and a Victory. People looked at Mowgli smiled and kept looking at bigger bikes. That truly is the problem in America. Enfields are a great conversation piece, but a bike with a top speed of 80 (wound out) are not widely appreciated when the traffic flow of most interstates and a lot of highways run about that fast. I accepted that my enfield is a bit underpowered compared to everything on the road, but that's because I have a 6 mile commute, 0 traffic, and a 40 mph top speed limit. The draw that I can see for the bike to the common person other than style is that it's a hell of a lot cooler than a smart car or a moped and gets amazing gas mileage. 
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:20:45 pm
You guys are showing your age. Hipsters don't read magazines. Probably the best bang for your buck on the hipster end would be on Facebook (though it is getting to be considered lame, and hipsters are not using it as much), Twitter (a cool Vine clip would work), Instagram, and Tumblr. There would then be links to YouTube videos. A strong social media presence is an important marketing piece for boutique products.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:04 pm
I think that the folks that smile at RE and then move along just don't get it, and probably should move along. My bike is my pride, even when it's being a bitch. I love this bike and have owned dozens...all Japanese. Admittedly, engineering wise they've been better, even the old ones..but for smiles to the mile they'll never beat my G5. It was the first bike i ever bought brand new. Probably the last too.
FYI...when this bike was designed, Interstates were just coming around...funny thing though..people got from point A to point B just fine without em..
The one thing I really appreciate about RE is the fact it's no Zinggg-Splat!. I have never enjoyed scenery more than riding a slower bike!

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 04:06:50 pm
Hey all it's been a long while since I've been around on the RE forums  :o

Since I've returned from India to the states I wound up with a Suzuki LS650 thumper, put my SeaDoo up for sale and had a guy offer to trade for it. Great bike but cruisers aren't my style, so I started hunting for an RE again only to find that two of the dealers I was corresponding with around here before leaving India no longer sell RE's  :-\ .   The closest dealer now is 71 miles away which isn't too bad, but it's a scooter dealer who just recently started carrying RE's   ???    I think I may have to make the extra 134 mile pilgrimage to the next nearest dealer  ;D  HEH.
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'