Author Topic: My local shops aren't selling Enfies any longer... :(  (Read 6960 times)

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
It looks like Polaris of Memphis and Mikes Cycle in Waynesboro, TN won't be selling new Royal Enfield's any longer.

Both are still in business and will do service, etc.

I really love Mike's shop, and if anyone is doing a ride through I suggest a stop in. Big Ural & Enfield guy.

So what's my next closest Enfield shop? Suggestions?

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a side car Polaris of Memphis has a Inder sidecar for sale for a tic under 2,300.
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:14 pm
The place (mainly a Morgan car dealership) I bought my G5 in 2010 has just stopped too. A shame, they were mad keen on promoting the bikes back then. I'm supposing it has something to do with Watsonian Squire no longer being the UK importers.
We do still have good old Hitchcocks for all our RE needs, thank goodness..
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:31 pm
It would be interesting to find out why dealers are opting out on selling RE's.

Wonder if it has something to do with long waits for bikes and spares?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:15:11 pm
I'm sure most of them are getting out because they are not making any money off them. I would think that most of them are selling maybe 5 or 6 bikes a years. That probably doesn't even pay the flooring costs. The hassles of getting parts is also a problem.
It would take a very dedicated person who isn't hurting for money to maintain the dealership. Our Enfield dealerships are very special people,and need to be treated as well as we can. It's not an easy road to be on.
Bare
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:31:27 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:11:57 pm
It could also be something of the kind that happened in Europe.
Top brass has rearranged the import and dealer network. Thereby trusted and knowledgeable oldtimers have been passed by for newbies.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:48 pm
I see Victory BMW in Chandler, Az is no longer listed as a dealer too.

It looks like another Chandler dealer got on board but his site doesn't say anything about it.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/locator/dealers/usa/states/ARIZONA
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 12:04:15 am
I read royal enfield only imported roughly 600 motorcycles to the United States last year. Devide that by the number of dealerships and you have low volume per dealer. Add to that no advertising and a Bert unique product and you have a tough sell.

I order saddle bags, a set of crash Nara and saddle bag mounts when I got my motorycle. It's been over two weeks and only the saddle bags are in. That's a terrible wait and I know it's not the dealer. Those kinds of waits are terrible for business.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:30 am
It's pretty clear  that a Royal Enfield Dealer has to be a sideline business to another successful enterprise.

At least for now.

When's the twin coming!

But.. for service and and customer care. Mikes Cycle hands down!

:)

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 02:08:25 pm
It is frustrating that the dealer network in the USA sucks the big one.  How the heck do they intend to sell any of you can't even SEE one. Accessories are non existent except through a catalogue and even then you can't actually see or touch the product til it's in your hands. I want to see a kitted out bike...in a dealership. I want to hear an aftermarket pipe. Grrrr

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:35 pm
Exports aren't core business for RE. But it seems like the success of the UCE based bikes has changed the company. I suspect the new factory will enable huge changes for RE. In a decade if they play it right they could be a very big player in the 350-650cc space worldwide.

To do that they need to up the capacity of everything. That means dealers need to be able to get parts and bikes fast. Also, they need to sell 2-3 motorcycles per month per dealer in the U.S. just to get things moving.

I know RE of Fort Worth moves more bikes than that. But other dealers in the US are moving 2-3 bikes a quarter on a good quarter. If you are moving 1 motorcycle a month, RE won't be a priority for their dealers. They will focus on where they are moving product, be it used bikes, victories, Triumphs etc.

The potential is there.

But RE is a niche product. If you don't ride one and just look at stats you might think its underpowered. I can't tell you how many friends thought I was *crazy* for not getting either a Harley-Davidson or a Honda.

But when I pull in somewhere and that thump sound is going and people see my G5 Standard in British Racing Green everything changes. The bike gets tons of attention and its really a beautiful machine.

If all you see is spec sheets and a little picture you dont get it.

I think RE is going to be big in another 5-10 years. At least I hope.

I love my RE. I'm in Chicago and I don't have the RE with me. I miss it.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 01:58:46 am
If the dealers don't make the bike a priority, they aren't going to sell.  Michael Baker at Royal Enfield of Fort Worth did a great job his first year with the mark selling 60+ bikes (I don't remember the final number, maybe around 80).  He used internet sales, attended vintage bike rallies across the state, and sponsored events at his location to showcase the bikes; so it can be done.

With that said, the US isn't a prime market for the Royal Enfield because the power and performance don't meet the expectations of the American motorcycle consumer.  Regardless of how well the Royal Enfield is built and how reliable the UCE engine is compared with its predecessor, American riders typically want a bike with more power.  I think the plan I saw for Royal Enfield targeting emerging markets in Africa and South America is brilliant.  The gas prices are higher the roads are typically smaller and their are a lot of people that would appreciate the UCE 350 and 500s.

If RE brings out a twin, it might have a real chance in the US especially if gas prices continue to rise.  However, bang for the buck wise, Honda's new CB500F twin is listed in the $6,000+ range, has 44hp, a large dealer network, a reputation for reliability, and is available with ABS.  In a head to head comparison all Royal Enfield has in its favor is classic styling, which unfortunately doesn't appeal to every buyer and keeps it a niche market bike.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 04:26:26 am
If the dealers don't make the bike a priority, they aren't going to sell.  Michael Baker at Royal Enfield of Fort Worth did a great job his first year with the mark selling 60+ bikes (I don't remember the final number, maybe around 80).  He used internet sales, attended vintage bike rallies across the state, and sponsored events at his location to showcase the bikes; so it can be done.

With that said, the US isn't a prime market for the Royal Enfield because the power and performance don't meet the expectations of the American motorcycle consumer.  Regardless of how well the Royal Enfield is built and how reliable the UCE engine is compared with its predecessor, American riders typically want a bike with more power.  I think the plan I saw for Royal Enfield targeting emerging markets in Africa and South America is brilliant.  The gas prices are higher the roads are typically smaller and their are a lot of people that would appreciate the UCE 350 and 500s.

If RE brings out a twin, it might have a real chance in the US especially if gas prices continue to rise.  However, bang for the buck wise, Honda's new CB500F twin is listed in the $6,000+ range, has 44hp, a large dealer network, a reputation for reliability, and is available with ABS.  In a head to head comparison all Royal Enfield has in its favor is classic styling, which unfortunately doesn't appeal to every buyer and keeps it a niche market bike.

All very true. In the meantime I'd like a shop less then 150 miles away dammit! :)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 03:40:16 pm
I read royal enfield only imported roughly 600 motorcycles to the United States last year. Devide that by the number of dealerships and you have low volume per dealer. Add to that no advertising and a Bert unique product and you have a tough sell.

I order saddle bags, a set of crash Nara and saddle bag mounts when I got my motorycle. It's been over two weeks and only the saddle bags are in. That's a terrible wait and I know it's not the dealer. Those kinds of waits are terrible for business.

Joel,...Son...2 weeks?? Calm down, I order saddle bag brackets 6 MONTHS ago ....they are said to be coming in soon.. :-\

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 03:11:47 am
I know two weeks isnt a long time to wait. But for the American consumer who is used to amazon it seems like a long while. But I know it will arrive soon.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 03:14:32 am
Don't count on the  soon part  :(