Members Rides

500 as she was

Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2015, 05:14:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Royal enfield storage  (Read 142 times)

• Neophyte
Royal enfield storage
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:48:22 am »
I own a 2012 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 cc purchased on 2013 November. The bike has been performing quite well and i am completely satisfied with the performance. Unfortunately i wont be able to ride the bike for about 3 months as i would be out of station related to job. I would like to enquire what all precautions should i take to store my bull for 3 months such that its performance wont be affected afterwards. Should i drain the Carburetor and fuel tank completely ? Kindly replay as early as possible.

• Grease Monkey
Re: Royal enfield storage
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:57:56 am »
Lots of people with lots of different opinions on that.  Here's what I do:

1.  I ride until the gas tank is nearly empty, then ride over to a gas station near to home and fill up after I pour in the correct amount of Stabil into the tank.  I feel the Stabil mixes better this way, but that is pure conjecture.  I ride around for about 15 minutes so the stabil-treated gas is certain to circulate and get through the fuel injectors.  Again, conjecture on my part.

2.  I park the bike and connect the battery to a battery tender smart charger.  Some folks remove the battery, but I've never had a problem leaving the battery in the bike.  This is a good time to check that all the cells (If you've got a wet cell battery) have the proper amount of electrolyte.  Also, having a smart charger is key.  Even a dumb trickle charger can over-charge the battery over time.

3.  I store the bike on the center stand.  I top off the gas tank to within an inch of the very top of the rim (Using a gas can that also has Stabil treated gas in it) to remove as much air space as possible inside the tank.  This is to lessen as much as possible any condensation forming in the tank.

That's it for me.

Dan K.

The Old Coot

• Grease Monkey
Re: Royal enfield storage
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:19:43 pm »
If it has a carb and not FI and drain the float bowl and the run the bike until it dies, help stop varnish building up in the jets and all the passageways in the carb. saves a cleaning come spring..
2009 Kawasaki KLR, The Fat Little Pig
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black, yet to be named