Author Topic: Hitchcocks aluminium petrol tank  (Read 3664 times)

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
on: May 23, 2013, 05:45:31 pm
Hi Folks I am lucky enough to have one of the most excellent Hitchcocks Cafe Racer aluminium tanks on my Enfield. I want to get a tank bag for it, but am concerned that A) It will mark the tank and B) I will not be able to attach the bag to the tank. Any ideas ?? any recommendations for brand or type of tank bag ?
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:34:59 pm
At the outrageous cost of those tanks I would REALLY REALLY be careful.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47:51 pm
Kevin's correct, get saddlebags.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:37:21 am
Get a wetsuit shop to make a neoprene cover for the tank, strap tank bag over that?  Maybe sew magnets of the appropriate polarity in the cover to give the tankbag magnets something to stick to?  Just don't get any grit between the neoprene and the tank!

Honestly, though, seems like a bad idea.  Maybe fab up a small carrier for a satchel bag on the side of the seat or something, if you don't want full saddlebags?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:59:22 am
Over 40 years on a motorcycle says wear a backpack and leave the tank alone.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:08 pm
Over 40 years on a motorcycle says wear a backpack and leave the tank alone.
Or better yet, pack a lightweight collapsable backpack inside of a sturdier everyday one and ride with it strapped to your seat with a cargo net. The lightweight one is just for the extra spillover when you can't stuff any more into the main one.
It's best to let the bike carry the weight whenever possible. It's also best to keep the weight as low down as you can.
I have a similar set up to yours and have found this strategy fairly practical for everyday riding and even a few overnights.
Chuck.

Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:26 pm
. It's best to let the bike carry the weight whenever possible. It's also best to keep the weight as low down as you can.
I have a similar set up to yours and have found this strategy fairly practical for everyday riding and even a few overnights.
Chuck.

You mean something like this  ;) !

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:24:21 pm
Better than this:
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:20:42 am
You mean something like this  ;) !

HA!  I knew that was a coffee maker!

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:29 pm
Thanks folks... I have just bought some excellent old leather saddlebags, and will look out for the right sized backpack to strap to the seat (will be changing the clubmans seat to their dual seat pretty soon, will be selling the clubmans seat when its done). Live long and prosper !!! :)
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.