Author Topic: New to Me Iron Barrel  (Read 3354 times)

NORBVR

• Scooter
  • No Longer Owned
on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:00 pm
Well, as a recovering Ural owner (clean for almost 3 years), I couldn't stand not having a project bike.  I saw this bike looking for a home last fall and after   a long days' road trip brought it home  :)  Didn't get to spend much time with it over the winter, but it had been well cared for and the PO had just gotten frustrated with trying to keep it running.  It was DOA.  I spent lots of time reviewing this board and learning from all the gurus on here.  The biggest problem was 2+ Volt drop from battery to points!  I found and repaired/replaced lots of different wiring issues, installed an electronic ignition and have had a good running bike.  Adjusted the transmission to where I *think* it is ok, and am preparing for the next hassle - the title.

The two previous owners had fooled the state of TN into believing it was a 1954 motorcycle.  The seller and I both knew better, but it is turning into a struggle to tell NC that it is probably a 1994.  Sigh.

Thus I have been limited to riding off road as with no title or tags I can't turn it loose upon the streets.

Peter
Bike no longer owned.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:37:25 pm
I think the green ones are best. Good looking bike, Peter. Since you're going for street riding, you have a great excuse to get some fresh tires.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:48:23 pm
If the title is already registered as a '54, leave it.  You'll have a hard time convincing someone differently.  Also it is VERY common for Indian market bikes to be registered as classics to make it easier to import into other counties, particular in the USA.  This is most likely what has happened with your bike.  Just go with the flow and tell the DMV that it is a '54 but has been upgraded to some modern technologies.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:47:22 pm
Like Scottie said.  You're not trying to defraud anyone.  Get her on the road!  And sometimes exporters use old titles to avoid export taxes too.  My parts from both Indian and UK sources have been marked as "antique parts over 30 years old, export tax exempt" even though they were probably made in the past 12 months.
D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

NORBVR

• Scooter
  • No Longer Owned
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:48 pm
The state of NC is at war with title problems like this for the last couple years.  Big scandle in the DMV with people forced out and such due to people building mostly kit cars and playing the good ol boy network to avoid taxes on newer rides.  When I went to the DMV with the title they snatched the TN title and I will get nothing until a DMV inspector provides more paperwork for the real year.  That is why I went in upfront and honest.  I want to get the title because I believe I'm going to sell the bike as I don't enjoy the RH shift. 
Bike no longer owned.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:22:38 pm
NORBVR, good points!  You've made me reconsider his plight. It is legally fraud and a problem if he goes to sell it.
Fraudulent dealers in MD and PA used to head to TN and NC to get titles for cars of questionable ownership or pieced from totaled wrecks.  Looks like NC decided to stop the frauds. 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:25 pm
How much do you want to sell it for?  I know I wouldn't have a problem getting it registered here in Denver.  Hell my bike wasn't registered in almost 20 years and the guy behind the counter just told me "Wow!  1958 Indian huh?  That's cool!  That'll be $66.  Here's your title, enjoy the bike."  Seriously, almost verbatim.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

NORBVR

• Scooter
  • No Longer Owned
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:31 pm
I'll start working with the DMV in early June.  2,100.00 and it can live in Deleware if you'd like.  :)

Peter
Bike no longer owned.

NORBVR

• Scooter
  • No Longer Owned
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:33:11 pm
Got the title resolved at the end of August and so, my 1995 is pretty legal in NC  :D

I think I'm going to keep it, but I'm not a big fan of the right hand shift.  Is it worth while to try and switch back, or should I just learn to live with it?

I'll have to find some mail order insurance and get it inspected.  Thinking of getting knobbies for it as well.  As I always manage to find mud, i might need to consider the trials kit for down the road.

Wanted to post to this thread for closure  :P
Peter
Bike no longer owned.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:06:11 pm
The right side shift is the best shifter that you are ever going to get from that bike. The left side shifter is much much much much worse. Leave it right side shift.
Glad you got the paperwork resolved!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:30:46 pm

I think I'm going to keep it, but I'm not a big fan of the right hand shift.  Is it worth while to try and switch back, or should I just learn to live with it?

For what it's worth, my own experience tells me that the adjustment to shifting whether from the right or left side of the bike comes almost immediately upon settling onto that particular
bike. I in fact go back and forth between my right side shift Bullet and my left side shift Honda on a daily basis without a second thought. Once I sit on either bike my mind and reflexes make the appropriate adjustment and I'm by no means a prodigy at riding. I just think that the difficulty of this is very over blown. Give it a try. I'll wager that you'll pleasantly surprise yourself.
Chuck.

Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:39:09 pm
The right side shift is the best shifter that you are ever going to get from that bike. The left side shifter is much much much much worse. Leave it right side shift.
Glad you got the paperwork resolved!
Tom,
You left out a "much". ;D
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:36:27 am
Home of the Fireball 535 !