Author Topic: Mikuni TM32  (Read 15129 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:54 pm
It's does look close to the edge. I'll richen the air screw for a start. When it stops raining I'll take a run on the local George Washington Parkway, take a look at the plug, check the mileage.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:54 pm
Your plug looks pretty good, but I agree with Ace, I definitely would not go any leaner.  You might want to do some throttle chops just to make sure your carb is tuned evenly though out the throttle ranges.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 06:04:47 pm
Looking at the coloring on your plugs ground strap you should advance your timing a bit. You want the color line on the strap to be on the apex (center of bend) of the ground strap.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:10 am
  I got the front header bracket welded and had the back bracket setup. What little I drove.... not starting right away when cold, coughing and spitting.... I needed to get richer than the 27.5 pilot jet. Today I ordered a 30 pilot jet. I had a 35 that I changed in. I was trying to get a couple of miles to a parking lot to dial in the air and idle screw. I rode for about 2 miles and kept stalling at idle. Finally got it going. Got to a parking lot to see what was going on.
  As I would turn over the motor with the kick lever, I heard a whirr whirr, like a wind up car or something. I got towed home since I could feel something on the clutch side of the primary. In the driveway I opened the primary. No problems. The plug looked a little bit richer in the photo prior to this. Without the plug in, I could feel the cylinder suck and blow. With the plug hole open, I kicked the motor over. It goes whirr whirr. I can feel it in my hand on the transmission/kick starter case.
  I will have to wait 'til tomorrow to open the transmission case. Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks,
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 02:43:32 am
By the way, it's a 5 speed with RH shift.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 10:49:08 pm
Can't believe it's taken me this long to follow up on this...busy summer!  But I did make it to Floyd Bennet field thanks to Chuck D and gotta say I had a blast doing plug chops.  I had been scared off by them previously but it's pretty self explanatory and very insightful.  I highly suggest them to any Iron Barrel owner.  It gives the rider a good "feel" of what rich and lean feel and sound like and allows one to really dial the bike in.  After trying many combinations I ended up sticking with the p2 needle jet and 180 main.  I did maybe 200 miles with that set up but felt it still wasn't running right so I dropped the 30 pilot for a 27.5 and BAM that was it.  This was all during the heat wave (upper 90's and lot's of humidity) and the cooler weather has me thinking I may go up to the P4 just to see.  It's been fun dialing the bike in this summer.  Ended up advancing the ignition slightly and seem to have the bull running better than ever.  I did have a breakdown on a trip up to bear mountain -- it took me hours to figure out the electric ignition had ungrounded itself -- but I FIGURED IT OUT.  I love these bikes.