Author Topic: Mikuni TM32  (Read 15142 times)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:21 pm
Thanks Ace!  I dinked around with it again today.  Put a 195 main in and  took her out for a longer ride just to try and feel where I'm at.  It idles well, pulls away nicely but sputters and loses power around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  When I got back the head seemed hotter than usual leading me to think I'm running lean.  Unfortunately, I do not have the richer P8 and raising the needle didn't help (and boy does that spring on the flatside drive me nuts!).

I have a boyer mark4 and haven't touched it since I bought the bike.  It has always run well, started in the first few kicks, never pings so I figured the timing was set and best left alone.  I'm assuming that changing the carb and exhaust shouldn't effect the timing right?  And frankly, I do not even know how to adjust the Boyer -- same as points?  Move the plate counter clockwise to advance?

It's going to be a pain to find a place to do plug chops in New York City so I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I head out to wherever to do this.  I'd like to do it only once.  Anyone familiar with New York have any ideas where I do these chops without putting my life in danger?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:16 pm
Clockwise to retard, counterclockwise to advance the timing (as you face the plate).
Going from too lean to a good needle and jets setting (rich enough) enabled me to advance the ignition.  YMMV as every engine/carb/fuel/environment combo makes it only generally predictable.  Otherwise, there'd be one setting posted and no one would have all this fun of dialing in!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 06:09:13 pm
Well, I can tell you that there are several fellows using this same carb with basically those same jets in NYC with Fireballs, and they are doing great.
So, maybe it is timing, or maybe you could try the P8 and/or a richer needle position.
As I mentioned, sometimes the stock head likes a little richer than the Fireball does.

Or, you might need to tweak the ignition timing. Or maybe do both.
This is what tuning is all about.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:34 pm
Got it!  P8 is on the way.  If it ever stops raining I'll fiddle with the timing in the meantime.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 05:42:04 pm
I got the 32mm flatslide installed. If anyone gets one be sure you get a 'right' one. The choke on mine is on the left, not right side. The gas inlet in on the right, not left side. This is the opposite of the older round slide. I don't know if there's an option of different sides, but if you can get a mirror layout carb, get that one! Can't do any riding yet. Gotta get a new duckbill. and get my header bracket welded.
Working on it!
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:15:38 pm
I got the 32mm flatslide installed. If anyone gets one be sure you get a 'right' one. The choke on mine is on the left, not right side. The gas inlet in on the right, not left side. This is the opposite of the older round slide. I don't know if there's an option of different sides, but if you can get a mirror layout carb, get that one! Can't do any riding yet. Gotta get a new duckbill. and get my header bracket welded.
Working on it!
Bill

As far as I have seen, they are all "Left" ones with the choke knob and fuel inlet like yours.
It's a PITA to operate the choke knob, but if it is too aggravating to do that, you can order the remote operating cable from Sudco to convert it to work off of a cable and handlebar lever.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 11:54:54 pm
So I got the p8 and finally got some time to put it in this morning and no, definitely not going to run on a p8.  Good thing I've got some other jets so I put in a p4 and yes!  That's the right direction.  It's still a little sluggish so in goes a p2 and now things are seeming great.  It's got a 180 main in and I'm wondering if I could go leaner there as well.  Got the needle in the mid position but may try leaning that out when I get a chance cause it still seems a little off.  Basically, it seems like I'm going to have a jetting very close to, if not the same, as Chucks fireball.  I still want to do plug chops but I'm going to have to find the time to get over to Jersey where I can find the space to do them......

I have a left choke too.  Sounds like they are all this way.  It's annoying but on the plus side I'm hoping it will discourage me from tinkering with the idle and air screws.  I seem to be always messin with them.....

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 12:43:44 am
So I got the p8 and finally got some time to put it in this morning and no, definitely not going to run on a p8.  Good thing I've got some other jets so I put in a p4 and yes!  That's the right direction.  It's still a little sluggish so in goes a p2 and now things are seeming great.  It's got a 180 main in and I'm wondering if I could go leaner there as well.  Got the needle in the mid position but may try leaning that out when I get a chance cause it still seems a little off.  Basically, it seems like I'm going to have a jetting very close to, if not the same, as Chucks fireball.  I still want to do plug chops but I'm going to have to find the time to get over to Jersey where I can find the space to do them......

I have a left choke too.  Sounds like they are all this way.  It's annoying but on the plus side I'm hoping it will discourage me from tinkering with the idle and air screws.  I seem to be always messin with them.....

Well, you're pretty lucky to be able to go that lean with a stock head.
Not typical, but it shows that it's doing better than typical.
Plug chops would be a very good idea.

Be advised, and listen closely for any ping.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 03:20:32 am
IT RUNS!!
I got the flat slide installed and fixed the duckbill. I went for a start. Put the choke on. Not much happened. I pulled the plug and it was wet. I kicked it over to blow out the gas. Turned off the choke, and ONE KICK, pow, it started. I blew out some smoke. I believe my broken header bracket might also be a hole! (I'll get it fixed this week.)
  In the driveway I adjusted the air and idle. I got geared up and went out to pick up my carry out dinner. The engine feels better. I'm getting a bit of pops on deceleration, maybe the pipe. The clear duckbill tubing isn't filling up with oil, finally! Lots of improvements all at once.
  Even during warm up, looking at the exhaust, I'm rich all over. Right off idle, I'm getting a chuff, a puff of exhaust smoke, [rich]. When I would blip the throttle, more puff.
  I'm running a 27.5 pilot, a 190 main, P6 needle jet and the stock needle [5FP17?].
  But, overall the motor is noticeably improved. The power band is positive across the whole rev range. The old big 34mm was happiest with a handfull of throttle. This one feels good all over.
  Would a leaner needle give a leaner overall effect?!
Cheers,
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 03:27:55 am
BTW, my 2004 Bullet ES 500 is a 535cc.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:31 am
Thanks Ace!  I dinked around with it again today.  Put a 195 main in and  took her out for a longer ride just to try and feel where I'm at.  It idles well, pulls away nicely but sputters and loses power around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  When I got back the head seemed hotter than usual leading me to think I'm running lean.  Unfortunately, I do not have the richer P8 and raising the needle didn't help (and boy does that spring on the flatside drive me nuts!).

I have a boyer mark4 and haven't touched it since I bought the bike.  It has always run well, started in the first few kicks, never pings so I figured the timing was set and best left alone.  I'm assuming that changing the carb and exhaust shouldn't effect the timing right?  And frankly, I do not even know how to adjust the Boyer -- same as points?  Move the plate counter clockwise to advance?

It's going to be a pain to find a place to do plug chops in New York City so I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I head out to wherever to do this.  I'd like to do it only once.  Anyone familiar with New York have any ideas where I do these chops without putting my life in danger?
Hi Mike,
Try Floyd Bennett Field at the end of Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn.
http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/flbe.html
It used to be an airport back in Lindy's day. Now it's just miles of empty runways and paved fields.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 01:00:47 pm
IT RUNS!!
I got the flat slide installed and fixed the duckbill. I went for a start. Put the choke on. Not much happened. I pulled the plug and it was wet. I kicked it over to blow out the gas. Turned off the choke, and ONE KICK, pow, it started. I blew out some smoke. I believe my broken header bracket might also be a hole! (I'll get it fixed this week.)
  In the driveway I adjusted the air and idle. I got geared up and went out to pick up my carry out dinner. The engine feels better. I'm getting a bit of pops on deceleration, maybe the pipe. The clear duckbill tubing isn't filling up with oil, finally! Lots of improvements all at once.
  Even during warm up, looking at the exhaust, I'm rich all over. Right off idle, I'm getting a chuff, a puff of exhaust smoke, [rich]. When I would blip the throttle, more puff.
  I'm running a 27.5 pilot, a 190 main, P6 needle jet and the stock needle [5FP17?].
  But, overall the motor is noticeably improved. The power band is positive across the whole rev range. The old big 34mm was happiest with a handfull of throttle. This one feels good all over.
  Would a leaner needle give a leaner overall effect?!
Cheers,
Bill

Maybe it's just the very hot weather that is causing the need for these leaner jettings. It will want leaner in the hot.
Anyway, if you want to try a leaner needle, it's a 6DP17. That gives you a condition which is 2 grooves leaner than the normal 5FP17 needle. So basically it's like the top groove of the 5FP17 is like the middle groove of the 6DP17. So, you get 2 more grooves in the lean direction with the 6DP17.

It seems you also might want to try the P4 or P2 needle jet, and a 185 main.

I'd wait until you fix the exhaust leak before doing any leaning of the jetting.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 05:48:17 pm
Yes!  Floyd Bennet Field!  Thanks Chuck.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 02:07:33 am
Got my header repaired. I have a good welder guy! Here's a look at the plug after just a four mile ride. Main = 190. Pilot 27.5, Needle jet = 785-24001-P-6, Needle = 5FP17.
Finally, I see a plug that isn't black, slimy or sooty.
I'm trying to get back to base line. I changed the oil, gearbox oil. Next, I'll tighten the chain.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:39 am
I wouldn't try going any leaner than that.