Author Topic: Norman Hyde M Bars  (Read 5281 times)

Boots

• Scooter
on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:32 am
Hello Riders,
My B5 Bullet just clocked over 5,000 miles today so I decided to celebrate by finally swapping the stock bars out for Norman Hyde M Bars. They are wonderful both for slow tooling about and leaning through the twisties. I also really like the look of them. Next up, some new tires. I'm not interested in trying to maintain "period correctness" rather more hoping to get something a bit beefier. Any suggestions?
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:01 am
Not sure what the stock tyres are on the B5, but if they're the same as the G5 - Avon Speedmasters (surely the most inappropriately named tyre in the world) you will find the Avon AM26 Roadriders a revelation. They stick at any angle, wet or dry, although the rear does wear fast. An alternative, if you can find both sizes (I think I remember Ducati Scotty saying he'd fitted them to his C5) is the Bridgestone Battlax BT45. Just as sticky and last longer, but cost a bit more. I have them on my other bike.  Both these tyres are great for leaning into the twisties, but don't go off-road on em..... :o
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:31:30 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

sethne

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:05:07 am
I've been looking at these exact same bars for a while now, especially with the bar end plugs for my napoleons.  Does it hit a full lock in either direction?  Also how much lower and farther leaning forwards
 Are they from stock?  Thanks

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:43:27 pm
Got BIKEMASTER SUPERBIKE EURO-BARS on mine. They are inexpensive @ under $30., & lower rise, allowing a bit more forward lean. They are extremely comfortable. picture below.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:28:10 pm
Got BIKEMASTER SUPERBIKE EURO-BARS on mine. They are inexpensive @ under $30., & lower rise, allowing a bit more forward lean. They are extremely comfortable. picture below.

Craig, I like what you've done with your bar ends (signals & mirrors). Can you point me in the right direction to obtain the same?

Thanks,
Ross
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:56 pm
I have the M Bars installed in the upwards position rather than the downwards slant. They will touch the tank at the extreme crank, but I don't foresee this as being a problem. In regards to body angle for riding position, they do throw me forward a bit more. I like this feeling of being a little over the tank and lower in the wind. I always felt like the stock bars had me up and arms outward like a sail. That being said, I can ride with the M Bars in two different positions... straight back and relaxed with arms stretching forward, or bent elbows in a tank lean over for more aggressive riding. So far so good. Have yet to take them out on a long haul ride of a few hours... will do so very soon and report back.
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:06:16 pm

Do these touch the tank at full lock?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:36:55 pm
I put Pirellis MT66s on mine and they were great, I think they were 90/90s on the front and 100/90 on the rear. They even superior to my vaunted K70s for steering and handling! I can't give any real figures for tread wear, but they looked like they were in for the long haul.
I got them at Bike Bandit for about $20 more than the Dunlops.
I have Pirelli Demons, the same tires that were on the Cafe Racer at the IMS show, on the Goose. Very impressed with these, too!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com