Author Topic: How should it look?  (Read 2752 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 22, 2013, 02:35:34 am
So my old Indian Army bike is coming back to the States for a Fireballing.  It's been kept as olive-drab and black as possible, because I hate worrying about keeping the finish nice.

Based on the fact that I'm going to use alloy rims and don't want to go through the hassle and expense of stripping the clear anodize and painting them, etc. I'm thinking of using some polished metal to accent the bike and make it a little more of a hot-rod look than the utilitarian thing it has going on now, while keeping some of the military cues as a nod to its past.  Will strip all the existing paint and go for a matching powdercoat.  Since polished metal is durable and doesn't need a ton of care, I think it'll suit me.  (edit:  I'm not going to try and keep a mirror finish, obviously.)

Thinking polished (maybe only lightly) engine cases and head, with green PC primary cases, timing and transmission covers.  Have a new alloy tail section which will be polished or brush/polish combo with a black seat pad.  (Could hard-anodize or powdercoat the tail as well.)  Green frame, tank, fork crowns, headlamp.  Hubs green on the sides, polished in center, stainless spokes and alloy rims.

Overall effect would be green on the flanks and polished in the center.

Does this sound interesting, or should I go to greater lengths to try and keep it looking subdued?

Here it is with clubman bars--will go back to tracker bars soon.

Here it is at home in the dirt and at rest:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:40:02 am by AgentX »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:48:56 am
It looks spectacular the way it is now.  Polish/alloy will make it look less unique.  Either way you can't go wrong with an old Army bike.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:48 am
Wait till you try to get that Army paint off. I just stripped one of paint. If you painted the house with it I think the wood would rot away and the house be held up with the paint.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:41:42 am
I like your bike how it is now, but the changes mentioned would also look really sharp.  Honestly, my Indian has, by far, the most amount of chrome and polished metal than any other bike I've owned.  I've always been a fan of the flat and semi gloss paints.  As far as stripping the paint, Mar-Hyde Tal Strip works really well.  Give the paint a thick coating and let it soak for about 15-45 minutes until the paint is noticeably starting to boil and peel and then scrape it off with a putty knife.  Then recoat the stubborn areas let it soak another 10 minutes and hit it with a wire brush.  Make sure to wear a respirator and heavy duty rubber gloves and mask off REALLY well any areas you don't want affected, it's nasty stuff.

No matter what you decide, just make it your own.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:54 am
Luckily, this paint isn't Enfield factory paint...it's the super-duper $8/can hand-mixed-sold-from-a-kiosk Indian stuff from the street.  Getting it off won't be a problem.  I'll have the powdercoater blast it off anyhow, with soda or walnut or whatever mild medium he prefers.

I am pretty attached to the way the bike looks now, but think going out of my way to keep it looking as it is might just be fighting against the grain too much...I mean, expensive, light alloy wheels just to back and cover them with a coat of OD green? 

Seems to sort of miss the point.  I'm trying to make the bike faster, so that's gonna show somehow.

Still, I am wavering.  Hence this useless thread.  :)  Appreciate all the input.

Edit:  for rims, I guess I could pay Buchanan's for black anodized and use some "stainless steel blackener" from Caswell plating on the spokes....wouldn't be a terrible amount of trouble, but that also seems like more trouble than I generally go to for finish work.  Logistically, I'm trying to get everything for powder to the coater's at the same time, and that doesn't work with the wheels or the cases.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:57:31 am by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:48:14 pm
My usual approach is to make the frame a very neutral color like black or silver.
Then, it is fairly easy to change color schemes if desired, by just painting the bodywork.
I would leave the alloy wheels and spokes "au naturel"
Polished alloy can be clear-coated, or just occasionally waxed, to keep the surface from oxidizing.

General comment on styling is that it is a personal matter which really can only be decided by the owner.
For example, I like the traditional red/white Enfield racing colors. I have had numerous people tell me that it's "trite" and "not creative". But, I like it anyway.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:54 pm
I love silver frames...very old-school dirt track.  But I think I'll keep this one green for now, just because it's a green bike at heart.

I mean, plenty of people have bought Enfields that wear a store-bought Halloween costume of a uniform, but my bike actually served!

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:30 pm
The bike looks great, I like the hot rod look of red stripe tires and if I had dark rims I would probably give them a red or maybe crimson stripe around the rim to get that same affect....

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:28 pm
If it were my bike I think I would leave it in its present olive drab colors but then, I enjoy attention.

Not only will the lovers of Olde British Classics love your bike but we have thousands of people who love anything military who will go out of their way to look at it and tell you a bunch of made up war stories.

(Yes, I know that some of you actually have real war stories and I appreciate everything you've done for our country so I thank you all.) :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12:49 am
Well, for what it's worth, you'll see the trousers I'm wearing riding it...like the bike, I think I have earned the right to wear only part of my old uniform as I see fit, lol.

I think I've made the decision to do some of the bits bare/polished.  For now, anyway. It can always be painted again later on down the line.

But I think some polished aluminum may take it from ground-pounder (which I was) to something with a bit of a classic warplane feel (which I'd always dreamed of flying).  It's going to have a fairly aircraft-looking gauge cluster, too.  Big tach centrally mounted in a pod, with a small speedo next to it, all black with black faces.

(some aspiration/inspiration)

(my own history)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:22:57 am by AgentX »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:54:12 pm
I think almost any one would see your bike and immediately think "that's cool".
 On the other hand, you would have to admit that it sends out a very (sorry, no other way to say it) self conscious vibe. As if the owner couldn't settle on a theme and threw all of the various elements of different bikes he likes and and mashed them into one.
Is it a ex-military repurposed for sporty civilian use or a sport bike with military pretensions?
It's like the front half of one and the rear of another.
If the dominant theme is to be military, you've made it less utilitarian with the rear sets and bum stop seat, sharp looking though they may be. Also by eliminating the traditional Bullet fender carriers, you've all but limited carrying capacity to what you can carry on your back.
Obviously the changes you've already made are most in sync with your preferred riding style. If it were my bike, I'd continue along those lines and make it into a vintage British racer that just happens to be green.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:43:44 am

Is it a ex-military repurposed for sporty civilian use or a sport bike with military pretensions?

It's like the front half of one and the rear of another.
If the dominant theme is to be military, you've made it less utilitarian with the rear sets and bum stop seat, sharp looking though they may be. Also by eliminating the traditional Bullet fender carriers, you've all but limited carrying capacity to what you can carry on your back.
Obviously the changes you've already made are most in sync with your preferred riding style. If it were my bike, I'd continue along those lines and make it into a vintage British racer that just happens to be green.
Chuck.

If I had more bandwidth right now, I'd search out a photoshop pic of an Abrams tank with chrome spinner rims on it... :)

But in all honesty, there was no "theme" for the bike.  It is the former of the two options you presented...a military bike repurposed in its retirement. 

And what you consider non-utilitarian, I considered functionally essential.  Changes were made with specific functional intent, not really for aesthetics.  I wanted to make the bike ergonomically suitable for me and the riding I do, lighter for better performance and handling (while taxing the stock 350 engine less), and improve the suspension.  My own use of the word "utilitarian" referred to the paint alone.

I added rearsets (mid-sets, really, although these ended up a tad further back than I wanted) because for rough-road riding, it's very hard to post up on the stock footpeg position.  You have to pull yourself up out of a chair, not just push up from underneath yourself.  With the pegs further back, you just pop up from a squat.  Indians just keep their asses in the saddle no matter what, so it's a fairly alien concept here.  I also had the idea that I'd like to try clip-ons at some point, and with the stock peg position, I find that to be an ergonomic nightmare.

I added the rear tail section as a way to subtract a bunch of weight--it's fiberglass and extemely light, and takes away a lot of heavy steel stays,  the fender, and a seat which must have been padded out with lead.  (The dumb ornamental silver "studs" were just what the seat happened to have; the plain version was out of stock.)  Alas this tail doesn't provide the basic mud/dirt/grit/water protection for the rider that I'd hoped...the new alloy tail will take care of that.  Am considering going back to a bench-style seat, though, as well.

I took off the casquette to change the handlebar position, because the aft-of-the-fork location of the stock clamp is something I find uncomfortable and slightly awkward.   (Have a long torso...any sweep on the bars with the stock clamp puts me further back that I want to be.)  As a side benefit, I thought of it as another way to try and lighten things up.  Turns out the casquette isn't that heavy once I got it off the bike, but still, it was mostly an ergonomic decision.

I also added cartridge emulators to the fork and Hagon adjustables on the rear to bring suspension up to at least a minimum standard of performance.

I admit I eventually cleaned up the wiring and relocated some components partly for aesthetics, but partly just to have everything neater and more comprehensible than the black-taped nightmare spiderweb I originally got after the "restoration."

Silencer and air filter were obvious changes for basic performance improvement...I did choose a megaphone just because I like them.

So it looks like what it is in all honesty:  a military bike modded for me and my environment without a wholesale stylistic theme.  I did try to keep the spirit of the original paint scheme as I added and deleted parts, just so nothing stuck out too much.  Was pretty easy given the local cost of low-quality paintwork.

In the end, I've convinced myself for the direction to take with the new bike.  Hopefully it'll come out well.  If not, there's always the sandblaster and more paint.  :) 

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:53:29 am
AgentX,
Sorry I came off a little jerky in my last post. Having a bad week. Please to forgive.
I had similar problems with the stock foot placement. Feet just a little too far forward for easy ass lifting off the seat. I also like to let the bike move a little freely under me. The rear sets fixed that although I do kind of miss the chunky foot rests.
If you're still thinking of alloy wheels from Buchanan's, I can't recommend them more highly.
They WILL upgrade the ride immensely. They weigh about a third less (each) than the stock wheels and you can really feel that difference in accelerating. Also the suspension has to work that less hard. No downsides other than cost.
They (Buchanan's) have their Sun rims in black anodize for roughly the same amount as the more traditional shouldered Excel rims which might be available in silver polish only. Simply stunning custom wheels if you can swing 'em.
Again, I apologize for my previous rudeness.
Chuck.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:58:35 am by Chuck D »

2017 Triumph T120

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:15:15 pm
Chuck, no offense taken.  I was going to go with the Excels, but the non-shouldered ones...the black ano suns did cross my mind too.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 01:59:23 pm
Fireball it and leave it as it is, the more I look at it the better it looks.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:46 pm
Chuck, no offense taken.  I was going to go with the Excels, but the non-shouldered ones...the black ano suns did cross my mind too.
The "wm 3's" will subtly toughen up the bikes "stance" while still being compatable with any tires you're likely to use.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 04:19:57 pm
Yeah, I was surprised that WM3 is actually the recommended width for a lot of the 3.25 and 90/100 tires I was looking at.