Author Topic: Passenger peg return spring  (Read 2673 times)

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:30 pm
one of the very first things i took care of. replaced the coil-type springs with wave washers from ace hardware. no issues at all.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:50 pm
I'm coming in late on this one but I went out to the Official Royal Enfield Removed Parts Department (ORERPD) and examined my rear foot pegs.

Bare is correct.
The spring is a spiral wound compression spring without any tangs or bends on the coils.
It's job is to provide sideways pressure to force the foot peg towards the side without a spring.

The side opposite the spring has a small ball protruding from it and when it is rotated to the "up" position the entire peg is pushed by the spring to force the ball into a hole in the bracket.  This holds the peg in the "up" position.

As your peg refuses to remain "up", it must have lost the ball which looks to be about 4mm (.157) in diameter.  (A 5/32 inch ball is .156 if that helps).

Oddly, the hole thru the bracket measures .155 inch in diameter so the ball must be staked in its hole in the foot peg or it could almost fall out of the assembly. (I didn't take my foot rest apart to actually verify this).

If I am right a new 5/32" ball would fix the problem but it should be bonded in place with something like JB Weld.  If I did this I would also deform the outside mouth of the hole thru the bracket to make it smaller so if the ball ever came loose I wouldn't lose it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 03:54:08 am
while i appreciate the technical stance provided, i must reiterate my fix of wave washers(4, 2 for each peg). my pegs were hard to flip into position using my feet while underway, so i had to do something immediately(i choose to cruise with my feet on the rear pegs).then when i tried to put them up, they kinda flopped. hence the wave washers. still have all oem parts i've chosen to remove, but if you want it to work, this is an alternative. good luck!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet