Author Topic: Passenger peg return spring  (Read 2672 times)

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
on: May 20, 2013, 05:28:11 pm
The peg spring that keeps my rear pegs folded up snapped on both sides. Does anyone here know where I can get replacements? I've checked all the usual places but can't seem to find anything (ebay,  nfg,  Hitchcocks). I know a lot of guys around here have taken theirs off,  maybe someone would be willing to part with their springs? Thanks for the help!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:16 pm
I was never aware that passenger pegs had return springs on them. Mine don't. And I don't ever recall seeing passenger return springs on any bike. Passenger pegs are usually set up to stay up.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:17:42 pm
I was never aware that passenger pegs had return springs on them. Mine don't. And I don't ever recall seeing passenger return springs on any bike. Passenger pegs are usually set up to stay up.
Bare

That's odd. My G5 has a 1" two coil spring with prongs on both ends. One prong is broken off and when I ride with them on they immediately fall to the open position.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:12 pm
Interesting.  My B5's passenger pegs don't have such springs.  There is a "floating" shoulder washer on the inside of the peg rubber, which rubs against a corner on the peg bracket.  The rubber peg cover gets compressed slightly as the peg is raised and lowered; it acts as a kind of spring to hold the pegs in either the up or down position...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:12 pm
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:36 pm
This is what my pegs have.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:34:20 pm
I don't think those had tangs on them. They look like they are there to adjust the friction to a level that will keep the pegs from dropping down. Just tighten up the bolt to the point where the pegs don't flop around, but you can still get them up and down
Bare
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:02:31 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:41:09 pm
Its hard to tell from the pics but the ends definitely look broken. Also,  there is a hole in the peg that lines up with where the tang should be. I tried to tighten them down but I ran out of threads and they still were loose. I'm thinking I'll swing into the dealer today to see what they have to say.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:41:52 pm
  They are odd looking.  But i see what you mean. Thats a metal dowel ,with likely a cotter pin to retain it. And that spring goes in in between the dowel and peg mount. The hook of the spring goes into that little hole.

Why not just replace it with a bolt, nylon lock nut and a spring washer instead of that difficult to install spring ?

Sorry, I see now....the pin is retained by the C clip.

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:51 pm
I'm not stuck on the idea of replacing the spring. Anything that will function properly is fine with me. I've been looking and just can't come up with the right solution.

I think a thick nylon washer will provide enough friction to keep them up. That's probably the route I'll go.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know how it works out.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:53:32 pm
It feel like there may be a ball lock in the side away from the spring. the spring pushes the peg over to hold the up lock the peg in the up position. I'm sure you aren't missing anything. I have nothing in the holes on my pegs.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:02:38 pm
  The Lock nut and bolt alone may not give enough tension.... or it may be too much where you can't lift and drop the peg. The spring washer installed between the peg and inside the peg mount.... sliding the bolt through that assembly. Then adjusting the lock nut to the right tension will do it. The spring washer will let you adjust tension so it will stay up or down.

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:42 pm
It feel like there may be a ball lock in the side away from the spring. the spring pushes the peg over to hold the up lock the peg in the up position. I'm sure you aren't missing anything. I have nothing in the holes on my pegs.
Bare

Strange. I'll try putting them back on the bike when I head down there later and see if I can make it work. If not I'll swing into the dealer and to the hardware store after that if the problem is still not solved. It just seems odd to me for there to be empty holes. I don't ride with a passenger that often but I'd still like them to function properly

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:11 pm
After perusing mine more closely, it looks like there is a little steel ball or some such in the detent by the though hole that shows in your picture. The peg as it rotates up ramps up on that ball then drops in when it gets to the fully folded position.You may have lost that when you took it apart. it would get away very easily, but you'd have to disassemble it to get to it, or reinstall it. All the spring does is hold the peg against the ball.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:14:40 pm
Perfect. That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I can pick up a ball bearing and get it back together. Thanks for the help Bare!