Author Topic: G5 gets lots of attention  (Read 2632 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 19, 2013, 04:30:23 am
I didn't quite believe the thing about the REs getting attention. But I went to a restaurant in the burbs today and I guy on a truck had followed me for a mile or two to ask about the bike. Said he heard the British thump sound, saw the bike and wanted to see it.

It's really fun telling people it's a new bike.

It's running much better. I'm taking her in on Sunday morning for an oil change. Then more riding!!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:21:01 pm
Still have a couple hundred miles before my first service.
No BS about the attention these get. I stopped at a restaurant with mine and among all the Beamers, HDs, and Jap bikes mine was the star of the show. Kinda winced when I had to tell them it was a 2012 G5, but it really stood out among the over 60 bikes parked there!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52:43 pm
I got a good laugh at a driver's reaction when I told him my C5 Military with sidecar was a 2012 - he swore he thought the bike was from WW-II.

Amsters

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:18 pm
I was at a BMW dealer recently to test drive an F800 which I was thinking about buying to replace my 96' CBR1100. I drove down on the G5 (perfect city bike I think) and parked it outside the dealers showroom. After 10 mins waiting for the beamer to get wheeled out he came over to tell me it was ready. The showroom was empty but the G5 had five guys round it - I told him he was selling the wrong brand :)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:34 am
I have a C-5 Mil. The wife decided the color over the red version of the same for me. She took one look and said you are getting that one. On the way home from the dealership I almost got ran off the road when I pulled onto the highway, and the passenger of a car leaned over the driver to take a picture of the bike. Then I got stopped on the way into a restaurant we stopped in to eat, and again on the way out. And again both directions into and out of walmart to buy myself a reflective vest. First day I brought it to work, I stepped outside for a break and saw 5 people circling it. I've had people standing beside it waiting as I came back from paying for gas. Pretty much everywhere I go, I'm either getting stared down on the road or approached every single time I stop. I'm getting used to it, but I definitely didn't expect the attention it would get when I bought it. I just thought it was a cool looking bike.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:33:23 pm
Ha ha, yep!  I get it at the Harley and Triumph dealer too.  Even the mechanics have asked if they could kick start it for me.  Something they don't get to do anymore.  Someone always asks questions everywhere I stop.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:18 pm
Home Depot sells a rubber coated MASTER WOVEN CABLE LOCK very reasonably- Get one, its very good insurance. Anytime you own something nice, there's always someone who will try to boost it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:51 pm
A couple of days ago I was out crusin, it was late afternoon, just before sundown.  There was more than a little traffic so it was pretty much stop light to stop light.  I noticed a car full of hooligans in front of me having a good time, loud music, some were wearin shirts some not, weaving in traffic, the kind of people you don't dare let get behind you.  Sure enough, we both got stuck at a stop light, tried to avoid pulling up beside them because I just knew they were going to give me a bunch of shit.  Sure enough, no way around it, I had to pull up right beside them.   

To my surprise one of them leaned out the window and said "nice bike" and took my picture.  Ya just never know how people will react. :) :)   
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 05:48:25 pm
There is something about the classic look and simplicity of the Royal Enfields. They just are pure motorcycle. Motorcycles have gotten so specialized, that a classic, simple "standard" motorcycle now stands out.

Also, the fact that its all metal and has hand painted pin stripes, it just stands out. Lots and lots of character. Thats why I own one.

Look for the same amount of money I could have had any number of VTwin cruisers, or even a 500cc motorcycle from Honda. I wanted an RE. Im glad I own one.

Now I just have to wait for the fender to come in and mine will be fixed up and ready to ride again!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:20:26 pm
There is something about the classic look and simplicity of the Royal Enfields. They just are pure motorcycle.

I'd say the same thing for the Ducati Monster and the Suzuki SV650:  Engine, wheels, tank, seat.  That's it, raw, unadulterated.  I love a minimalist machine.  The new Honda 500 twins are really nice little bikes but even the naked one isn't that minimal.

Scott

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:55:01 pm
I think the new Honda CTX 700N is going to get lots of attention and will sell well. Its an almost perfect motorcycle for new riders. I also suspect that DCT is going to be a big seller for Honda. I think that manual transmission is something that scares away some new riders.

I suspect in a few years there will be more and more motorcycles with automatic transmission. I could be wrong. Also Honda has so many new motorcycles, its pretty amazing. Most of them are less than 1000 cc.

I know RE is working to be the global leader in the 350-700cc range. But I think there is going to be some competition there.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:22 am
Over the last 2 years, my chrome and black G5 has received so much attention I'm kinda disappointing when no one goes out of their way to look at it and ask questions. :(

Believe it or not, that does happen occasionally.
Course, there's always the guy who spends 45 minutes telling me all about his Harley Hummer or his super fast Triumph Cub.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:21:43 am
Come now.  You've got to admit the Harley Hummer and Indian Arrow are really cool little bikes, though a bit underwhelming in the power department.
1975 XLCH

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:00:24 am
When I was looking, I first looked at a Suzuki S40. Liked the looks and the 650 mill. Then I took a gander at the RE. No comparison, and the decision was made PDQ!
The S40 just looked like it was trying too hard to combine Thumper and HD.
The Suzuki TU250X actually ahd more appeal to me, but the mill was too small.
The RE is the best compromise out there!

As for the lookers...yep, it's enjoyable to hear the compliments, but the idiots that look straight at you and DON'T see you really concern me.  >:(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:16:29 pm
The Honda and Hyosung 250 look better than their bigger brethren and ride nice too.  But they are just 250s and tad too small.
1975 XLCH