Author Topic: Got it!  (Read 8659 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:44 am
I've never priced an AGM battery for a car or bike, but I do know the ones for our helos are incredibly expensive. One advantage is you can cut them in half and they still won't leak. This feature allows them to be shipped without a HazMat classification.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 01:52:48 am
I thought all bullets came stock with the Exide lead-acid battery which has no tube.
First time I see a tube so prominently on a motorcycle battery.

Like this one, on my 2011 B5:

The little tab sticks out at the rear, but it's just solid plastic, with no opening.

Maybe the vented battery is an on-the-fly manufacturing change, or maybe the dealer changed it?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:37 am
My battery is "as received" by the dealer and the tab is molded with an open nipple pointing downward. The clear tubing attaches to that.
The Parts manual I received was printed in '09 and shows no such animal. No telling when they actually added the feature.
I doubt my shop manual (if it ever gets here) was printed any more recently, so I can only imagine the differences I'll find.
'12 C5 Classic

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:11 am
My US import G5 Deluxe came with a "Power Source" sealed battery.  It is not an Exide and I really don't know if it was shipped from the factory or it was purchased by the Dealer and installed when he was sitting up the bike.

For what it's worth it has been a good battery lasting 2 years without a problem but I just replaced it with a Big Crank AGM last week.
The new battery is a number EXT-15 which has the positive terminal on the left side when the terminals are closest to you.  There is also a EXT-15L which has the terminals reversed.  The total price was less than $75, shipped.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:46 pm
I didn't even see a name on mine. LOL
Thanks, AZ. I'll hang on to the #s for when I need to change it.
'12 C5 Classic

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 06:13:40 pm
O-tay!  ;D
Seat replaced with the Cobra low-profile, and the Diamond crash bar installed.
Spent all day yesterday cleaning her up, buffing out the bag scratches, polishing the rims, and re-aligning the doghouse.
She SHINES!

Next project: Lose the Bazooka and install the EFI unit.

Also was listening to Gypsy Rider by Gene Clark while taking the pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ruo6h6AGk
'12 C5 Classic

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:14 am
Showroom finish!

Diamond crashbar looks a bit like mine but seems to be bent at the sides, right? How wide is it? Mine is an inverted trapezium, 2'1" at the top.

I see highway pegs in your future.  ;)

8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 04:10:22 am
It's bent back about 45 degr. each side and measures roughly 27" across.
I'm a bit of a minimalist and didn't much care for the other styles.
'12 C5 Classic

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 10:09:03 am
@Heloego: May be I am being hasty, but do you have the first impressions of the new seat.......and if you like it  :P can you share from where did you buy it ??

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:15 pm
Hi!
    There were no instructions with the seat, but they aren't needed, as the install is fairly straight forward. The only tools required are a 4mm hex wrench, 13mm and 12mm box-end wrenches (or use a 12mm socket on the bolt head).
    I expected the seat to be fairly uncomfortable, but was surprised that over the 83 miles I put on it I only needed to make my normal two stops every 30 miles or so. It also lets me easily put both feet flat on the ground with enough clearance on the right to keep my leg from burning on the exhaust. I did notice the tool box now presses against the back of my thigh, but I didn't find it uncomfortable.
    One thing I noted almost immediately was the shifting dynamic. Lowering my butt about 3.5 inches also changed the angle of my foot, so shifting was a conscious effort for the whole ride. Once I got it home I pulled the shifter lever and rotated it one tooth clockwise to compensate for the change. I still need to test it out since I've spent the last couple of days buffing out scratches from those damned River Road bags, but sitting in place it feels pretty good.

The seat is profiled at NFG, but only available if ordered through your dealer. My dealer charged me $300 US plus $25 to install it, but I'm not complaining. The look and the ergonomics combined are worth it to me. :-)
   When I got home I looked it over again, and didn't like the way the mounting brackets were installed (they were sticking out the side) so I took it off and faced them inboard and attached them to the inboard side of the mounting lugs using the stock spacers for a cleaner look.

helo
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:35:28 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:15 pm
New silencer (Brit-made Reverse Megaphone) arrived today, but the angle adapter is back ordered. After considerable rumination ( about 10 seconds  :) ) I jerked the bazooka and did a straight install to see how it sounded and looked. When the adapter gets here I'll do the same, then make a decision.
Had to play a bit with the main and worm clamps to ensure clearance for the brake lever, but install only took about an hour.
Looks a heck of lot better!
Sound is throatier and a bit loud if I wind it up, but as long as I keep the rpm low getting out of the neighborhood I don't expect the neighbors to complain. Much.  :)
It feels like I'm getting a slight increase in power, and though I expected an occasional pop on decel it ran like a top w/no obvious adjustment by the ECU. I'll be putting another 30-40 miles on it this early evening, so I'll get a better idea.
Popping only seems to happen when I back off the throttle quickly, but seemed to get better as the trip progressed. Still popping, though.
Will the ECU eventually work this out on its own, do I need to modify my use of the throttle, or do I need to adjust the mix a bit?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:45:13 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:39 pm
Yep, the dealer is a good one, and only 50 miles away. Though in all fairness I did specifically request the Fork Oil change. We compromised and switched to 15w oil. The handling was A-OK.

Been reading through the OM this morning, and was surprised by what I read. The Tools and Spares Kit (page 54) lists what comes with the bike, including 1 each Speedo cable, 1 each Clutch cable, and 1 each Tire Tube.

I've read this too in my manual and was curious as to why my dealer didn't mention anything about it. Heck, they weren't even going to give me the owner's manual; I had to ask for it! So I'm kind of not surprised I didn't get any of this  :-\
2013 B5 Bullet 500

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:06 pm
The dealer I got my RE with sidecar attached at made an extra effort to be sure I got the box with all the spare cables and tubes.  They even double checked to be sure I had put it in the car before finishing the paperwork!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 02:24:18 am
A lot of dealers don't get the stuff out to the customers. Their attitude is that if you don't know about it, they aren't going to offer.
My dealer initially told me he'd hang onto them until I needed them. Then it dawned on me, I'd most likely need them at home so I went and got them. I don't think I ever got the tube though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 02:30:50 am
Why would dealers want to hold on to them? Trying to make you go back for service because you have no instructions?  I would think our host would want the customer to get all those Warning Notices and stuff that's in them.  I screw up, I can tell a jury; "Hey, they didn't give me a book telling me not to do such and such." and collect liability and punitive damages from RE USA.  Heck, Mickey D's didn't give warnings that hot coffee was hot.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH