Author Topic: Bike is in the shop - UPDATE  (Read 4351 times)

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:21 am
It has been a rough few weeks for me. My daughter has been in the hospital for the last 10 days, due to an unexplained vomiting issue. Tonight after visiting her my bike wouldn't start, the headlight wouldn't come on, no electrical at all. I checked the battery and I couldn't see an issue there. I then checked the fuses, I found a blown one so I replaced it and tried to start it again. The fuse immediately blew again. I tried one more time and it blew again. I called for a tow truck and had it hauled to the shop.

So it looks like I won't have my bike for the long weekend. On the bright side my daughter has been given day passes for the weekend so she'll get out of the hospital for a while. She has a feeding tube but she is off her IV and she isn't vomiting the food from the tube up. This kind of thing puts problems in perspective.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:43:57 am by REdmonton »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:58:09 am
I'm sorry to hear about your bad news, mostly your daughter but also your bike.  My stepson was hit by a truck back in October and was hospitalized for 2 months.  One of his major injuries was a perforated bowel which took a couple surgeries to repair.  He too had a NG/JG tube for several months, so I understand what you're going through.  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

As for your bike, I'm sure it's just a wire that has grounded out.  That is the #1 main cause for a fuse to blow instantly like that.  If the shop is going to take a long time to get to your bike, the people on this forum can help you diagnose and fix your bike in no time.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:08 am
My son had some nasty gastroenteritis a few months back, knocked him out for over a week.  It was very scary but he recovered.  Wishing you and your family the best. 

Scott

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:19:28 pm
I'm with you, REd. My late missus spent a substantial time intubated with a feeding tube before she left. Really tears one up. Glad to hear your daughter is doing better.
Helo
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:15 pm
I had the same issue one week ago and found two bare wires behind the headlight touching the frame.. lot of electric tape to the prone areas and bike is well running..

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16452.0.html

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:40:18 pm
I'm sure you're daughter will do better soon, GIT issues take a bit of time to sort out but gets better soon, my best wishes to your family.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:45:54 am
The guys at the shop figure they will have it ready by the middle of the week. It is still under warranty so I didn't feel the need to mess around too much with it. I was also in a parkade at 9 at night and I had already worked a full day and visited with my daughter. I am a single Dad and my daughter lives with me full time. I figured I don't need to spend a lot of time working on my bike when I could be spending it with my daughter.

If things go well my daughter could get out of the hospital on Tuesday. She will probably have the feeding tube for at least a month, and it could be longer. The doctors haven't figured out exactly what the cause is yet but she seems to be out of danger.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:54:15 am
wishing you and your little one all the best for a speedy and complete recovery. from one single dad to another.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:27:45 am
@REdmonton:

My prayers are with you and for your daughter to get healthy and back on her feet. The ailment of a child is tough time for a parent. 

For a single dad it is a lot to juggle work, home, hospital, and the self. Your efforts and love will see her through this trying time.

Let the dealer work on your motorcycle and you take care of yourself and your family.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:59:03 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:33:19 pm
REdmonton - what they all said!  I don't have kids, but my father is battling sudden illness and needs full-time care.  Not the same thing, but I know the stress and worry.  My thoughts are with you...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:37 pm
Edmonton: You apparently have your priorities straight...Our daughters are special and need extra love....The bike will get repaired inevitably..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:34:01 pm
Sorry to hear your daughter has been so sick. Hoping it all goes better form here.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:51:41 am
Update: My daughter is out of the hospital. If things go well today and tomorrow she will be completely discharged. It looks like she will have the NG tube in for several months.

On the other hand the my bike is still in the shop. They are having problems figuring out where the short is. Hopefully next week the bike will be ready.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 06:50:31 am
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your kind words. My bike is out of the shop. It took the mechanic 5 hours to find the short.

On the other hand my daughter is back in the hospital. She has been suffering from some psychological problems for a while now and it took a very serious turn for the worse this week. She has been admitted to the child psych ward. This is a scary thing for me. But she is safe now and will be able to get the help she needs. It is weird but it helps me to let you guys know my problems.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:24 am
REdmonton - not so weird, I'd say.  We're a pretty diverse group here, with lots of differing opinions about a lot of stuff, but we all love our Royal Enfields.  AND, we all have our moments of need.  You're among friends here.

Again, best of luck and health to your daughter, and to you!!!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:54 pm
REdmonton - not so weird, I'd say.  We're a pretty diverse group here, with lots of differing opinions about a lot of stuff, but we all love our Royal Enfields.  AND, we all have our moments of need.  You're among friends here.

Again, best of luck and health to your daughter, and to you!!!

+1
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16:09 pm
+2.  Glad we can provide a little comfort in a time of need.

Scott

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 04:25:33 pm
RE Edmonton, should you feel the need to talk one on one, please PM me and I will be glad to speak with you, I know how you feel, I too am a single father of 2 awesome kids, and I personally know how it feels when a parent hurts...
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:08 pm
REdmonton,
Kudos to your mechanic for sticking with it and finding the short. Wiring diagrams make my eyes cross uncontrollably, even after 25 years of using them.  :)

So glad to hear your daughter is getting the help she needs, and it'll take some of the stress off of you, too. NP re talking things out here. As stated, we're all friends here.

helo
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 06:44:30 am
Another update. My daughter was discharged last Friday. She was in the hospital for 9 1/2 weeks in total. She is doing much better. She still has a lot of healing to do but she is on the road to recovery.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 08:59:36 am
Really awesome news REdmonton, glad that all is working out well for you and your daughter. My good wishes are with you both.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 11:29:57 am
+1... that's a long time in hospital!  Continued best wishes...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:52 pm
Another update. My daughter was discharged last Friday. She was in the hospital for 9 1/2 weeks in total. She is doing much better. She still has a lot of healing to do but she is on the road to recovery.

Glad to hear you guys are back home and things are getting better.  Just remember that the road to recovery is usually a long one that is slowly traveled.  Just keep your heads up and stay positive, that is the key.  I'm still traveling this road myself with my wife and step-son.  He needed another surgery on his left arm in June, a nerve graft surgery to his left bicep from his working pectoral muscle.  It will be another 2-10 months before we will start to know if it was successful or not.  If it wasn't successful, he will continue to only have about 20% use of his left arm for the rest of his life.  Like I said, just have to stay optimistic and positive.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King