Author Topic: Electra EFI solo seat conversion complete  (Read 7493 times)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:37 pm
All the necessary bits came from Hitchcocks: solo rider's seat, cover for electric gubbins under that seat, rear rack, and pillion seat designed to fix onto the rear rack.  The springs that came with the solo seat are 4.4 inches long - perhaps a bit too long.  I have ordered some 3 inch springs from eBay, so at least I have a choice.

The only issue with fitting was the pillion seat, which needed straightened before it could be fitted.  If the combo works out at some point I might get better seat covers. Leighton's in the UK supply covers for any seat frame.

The idea to bond the enamel "RE badges" to the plastic bungs which cover the swing arm nuts, came from  another forum member - my thanks to them for the inspiration.

Other things on show are a pair of  shrouded Hagon shocks, and the Hitchcock small 'bottle silencer + fish tail.

The Tutoro chain oiler works on inertia - each time you go over a bump or undulation, some oil is released by a needle valve. So it doesn't use an electric hookup or a vacuum feed from the inlet manifold. Very simple, and works well.

the wind screen came out of my brother's garage.  It is about 20 years old, and I don't even know what brand it is.  It was intended to fit to the handlebars and also to headlamp mounting bolts.  I found a couple of old mirror stems and clamps and fixed it from two points onto the handlebars ,in a triangle arrangement. Nothing moves, and the screen works well.

One of the requirements was to retain the rear rack and top box.  I really had to fit the pillion solo seat because without it, there was a weird gap between the rider's solo seat and the top box.

I think she's finished now......

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:08 pm
Very nice! Good job!
I'm curious how the Hagon shocks feel.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:15:07 pm
Nice solution for the ungloriously looking plastic bungs. Gonna pick up on that idea. 8)

Shouldn't you get some rides? She is way too clean.  ;D
Electra riviera red, by miles the best.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:55 am
Well done!  Your bike looks great, very tasteful and best of all, functional.  Great job!  I too am curious about your Hagon shocks.  They look identical to to the vintage shocks on my '58 Trailblazer that need to be replaced.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:40:49 am
The Hagon shocks are great.  Mind you, at £200 a pair they should be! My other bike has a pair of Wassell shrouded shocks which came in at £75, and are also very good. It just so happened that the lengths that Wassell shocks come in, they would have been a bit too long or a bit too short for the Electra.  So Hagons it is, this time.

I have been trying to find the post by the person who had the idea to fix the enamel petrol tank cap badges onto the swinging arm bungs, but no luck so far. They know who they are.  It was a great idea. I did as they suggested, using 2 pack epoxy to glue the badge to the plastic bung, having roughened up the surface first. I then used  bead of clear silicone sealant when I pressed the bungs back into the frame. That way they won't vibrate loose, and anyone trying to steal them will have more of a job on their hands.

And yes, my bike does get used, but I washed her a couple of days back, and we have had fine weather since!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:50:45 am
Very nice looking RE, Blairio. Nice touch ups.

BLACKC5 did the petrol tank swing arm caps, as seen here - http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16159.0.html     Very neat.

And I had a quick question regarding your Hagons. Are these the slimline or wideline springs? Refer to http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

Type A - #9 CLASSIC III - FULL STAINLESS SHROUDS-BLACK PAINTED UPPERS & POLISHED LOWERS $279.00
for SLIMLINE SPRINGS
Type P - #6 CLASSIC III - SLIMLINE SPRING W/ PAINTED & POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL FULL SHROUDS $376.00

Is it safe to assume that at 200GBP, you purchased the Type P slimlines, polished stainless? 320mm height?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:31:03 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:53:01 am
Hi, hats off to BLACKC5.

I don't think my Hagon's are the slime line ones. Check out this link:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-suspension-rear

Mine are the second type down: REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS (ENCLOSED SPRINGS), and are 320mm long.

They are listed as £169, but by the time you add VAT at 20% and postage and packing within the UK, they come in at around £210. Given the quality of construction and finish, and the way they work, I think that is still good value.

I didn't specify a particular spring rate.  I was told that the springs they came with are rated for riders between 70 - 100kg, and at 85kg I guess I am bang in the middle of that range.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:45 am
Nice. Like the old AA badge. How does that fishtail sound?
Probably shouldn't tell you this, but for others - Hagons are cheaper direct from Hagon.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:25:52 am
The AA badge is a replica - £12 off ebay.  I'm a member of the AA anyway (cars and bikes) so I figured why not?

The same shocks from Hagon (http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=29010CL3) are £196 before P&P.  So yes, I could have saved a few quid. I like dealing with Hitchcocks though.  They have always given good service.

The fishtail takes the harsh edge off the exhaust note. The silencer is louder than stock, but with the fishtail it sits easier on the ear. To be honest, I bought it for its looks, which have echoes of 1950's Velocettes.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:17 am
Fully agree about Hitchcock's service.
I have the same silencer, with the baffle in place. Improved performance over the stock torpedo, and a nice sound, but a bit anti-social around town. Do you use the baffle with the fishtail fitted?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:32 pm
Blairio, thanks for the clarification  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 12:56:06 pm
WillW - yes I kept the baffle in.  In understood from Hitchcocks that with the baffle in place, the load (backpressure?) would be close to that of the stock silencer, so the ECU would be operating in its usual range. Also, without the baffle, the bottle silencer is just too loud....

JVS - you are welcome. Thinking again about your question as to whether the shocks are slimline or not:  Looking at the shocks' upper shrouds, there is very liitle space between them and the hoop of the frame the suspension hangers are fitted to.  If the Hagons had been much wider, I think they would have fouled the frame.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 01:39:26 am
I noticed a cover on the throttle body (right hand side, in front of the air filter box). Can you elaborate on that?

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 03:13:02 am
Hi Royalista, it is on The Hitchcock site, on the 'air filters' page, about two thirds of the way down:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/carburation-airfilters#part_7324

92622    COVER FOR FUEL INJECTOR ON EFI ELECTRA and CLASSIC  15GBP

"This is a stainless steel cover to hide the majority of the fuel injection system and wires etc."

It is a pity that Enfield haven't followed the Triumph lead, and come up with  Fuel Injection body that looks more like a carburettor. 

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:40 pm
Blairio, thanks for the link.
Looks picobello. Is worth the purchase, lots of stuff there that is vulnerable to the wet.

Yes, I follow you on the carburettor-thingie, but...
RE isn't into replica, it's vintage honesty.
(ouch, now I'll have all triumphistis over me, my best pal first) ;D.