Author Topic: Little lights over the headlight....  (Read 4559 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 17, 2013, 09:49:49 pm
Guys what are the little lights over the headlight called?
Have they always been on the Royal Enfield Bullets?

I think they look great.

The one on the left side of my motorcycle is now burned out. I'm going to have the dealer swap it out when it is in for its 300 mile oil change.
Also, the indicator light for the turn signals is out. It would also be nice if the Neutral indicator was brighter in sunlight.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:07 pm
Pilot lights. I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I had read that once upon a time in the UK you could not have a parked moto with the headlight on so the pilot lights were used for visibility when parked.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:42:27 pm
Forget those things do this. Not my idea, got it from guys here. EASY to do.

Go to YouTube, watch Mr. Singh video on RE LED lights.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16184.msg175997.html#msg175997

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:47 am
+1 LEDs are the only ay to go. They are visible in the daylight and draw much less amperage, I use the 4L, white version. The lens will take care of the color. I put the LEDs in the indicator lights, The engine indicator, the pilots and the tail light. Don't worry about the turn signals. They require come redoing to work in the flasher state.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:09 pm
Actually they will be a bit brighter using colored bulbs.

The way the colored lens works is to filter out all the other wavelengths other then , say green for the neutral indicator. Using a white bulb, most of the light is filtered out by the colored lens, leaving only the green wavelength light to pass thru the lens.So using a green bulb, with a green lens actually lets more light pass through, thus it is brighter .

Bare, what bulb did you use in your tail light?
TIA.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:05 pm
Bare, what bulb did you use in your tail light?

It is the 1157-R19W6
19 red LEDS and 6 White ones for the tag. Really works well.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:39:30 pm
......So using a green bulb, with a green lens actually lets more light pass through, thus it is brighter .

yep, unfortunately it shines right through .....  just like a transparent lense.  So, other drivers see the individual LED dots. (the lense does not glow).

I like Bare's solution of mixing red and white LEDs .....  That way the lense will also glow a bit.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:39:27 am
yep, unfortunately it shines right through .....  just like a transparent lense.  So, other drivers see the individual LED dots. (the lense does not glow).

I like Bare's solution of mixing red and white LEDs .....  That way the lense will also glow a bit.

Yes, use white in the tiger eyes, for other colors, you get a brighter light pass through using appropriately colored bulbs.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:40:33 am
It is the 1157-R19W6
Bare

Gracias! Once again, You Are Da Man!!  How did you learn all this stuff??

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:51:52 am
Pilot lights. I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I had read that once upon a time in the UK you could not have a parked moto with the headlight on so the pilot lights were used for visibility when parked.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. In Europe in the early days, what we call "parking lights" on our cars here were actually PARKING Lights. If you parked on the Champs-A-Leezie in Paris (or in the U.K.) at night you shut your headlights off, but left your Parking Lights on.

They were never really parking lights here in the States, but the name carried over here for some reason & that's what we still call them. 
[/quote]
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 12:52:27 am

Not so, all my lens glow. Realy bright now!!!

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:39 am

Gremlin, just went out to take a look. You're right about seeing the LEDs in the tiger eyes, but they are way bright!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:37 am
I ordered some 2 watt CREE BA9S from a chinese eBay peddler.....

They had a higher power type, but, it looked a little too long for the tiger-eyes.

I'll let you know how they fit.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 12:56:07 pm
It is the 1157-R19W6
Bare

+1.  It's nice and bright, and there is a conspicuous further brightening when braking.

The only "problem" with this unit in the OEM tail light housing is, the white LED illumination for the tag comes only from close to the base of the bulb - this results in the light dropping down onto the tag from almost directly above, causing some shadowing of the tag's raised letters.  Result: in the dark, the tag is difficult to read.

I don't care...  it's lit, and I know the number.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:51 pm
Ff having someone not be able to read my tag at night, that should be the only problem I ever have! But my tag was angled under the light so that was not a problem anyway.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 05:49:32 am
So I had the lights replaced with regular lights today. Strokers did it as warranty work with my 300 mile oil change and service.

Its been a blast to ride and I haven't had any trouble since the side stand switch and such was done.

She is a blast to ride. But I forgot sunscreen riding today so I have a slight burn on my arms. But it was worth it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:53 pm
Those little bulbs seem to have a short life.  I've needed to replace both of them over the past couple of years.

Next time your close to a Auto Supply store, go in and buy a good brand of #53 bulbs.
Replacing them is easy.  Just remove the phillips head screw and the metal retainer.
Then, pull the rubber sleeve out of the casquette and pry the lens out of it.
A 1/4 turn counterclockwise on the old bulb and it will come out.

When installing the new bulb make sure the two pins on the side of its base align with the grooves in the socket, push it in, turn it 1/4 turn clockwise, push the lens into the rubber and reinstall the metal retainer and it's fixed. :)

edit: (I hope you don't take offense when I seem to do an overkill on my descriptions of how to do something.   I figure someday someone who is new to the world of mechanical things might read my comments so I gear them towards those people. :) )
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:58:42 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 02:19:35 am
I ordered some 2 watt CREE BA9S from a chinese eBay peddler.....

They had a higher power type, but, it looked a little too long for the tiger-eyes.

I'll let you know how they fit.

they fit perfectly, and, are bright !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5