Author Topic: HELP  (Read 25272 times)

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:37 am
Tried to attach a pic of the rig.  Not complete yet but getting closer.   :)
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 07:19:57 pm
I'm interested in how hard it is to learn to drive a side car.  I really want to get a side car set up so I can take my English Bulldog, Louie, with me on rides. 

I rode a BMW rig many years ago and I didn't really find it at all difficult to learn. I was soon flying the side car and having a lot of fun with it. It was definitely different than a single tracker.
What I learned about them quickly is that they have all the disadvantages of a motorcycle and a car and no advantages of either! But then, that's me!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:04 pm
Stopping distance can be a real eye opener when you have a monkey in the chair.     

I find it funny the number of grown men that shy away from riding in the chair, even just around the block.   Must be  a control thing or the fact that they think I am insane.......
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Raconteur

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:40 pm
Scottie, riding with a sidecar is fun but it defiantly handles different than a regular motorcycle. It takes practice. I have driving a bullet with a side car for about 2 years now. If you can find a place that gives lessons you should probably take them. The bike will corner a lot differently than a regular motorcycle. It has taken me some time to get used to. I have a basset hound "Judge" that rides with me. He loves it and now if I don't take him with me when I get the bike out he throws a fit. I started him out riding around the back yard, then the neighborhood. Once he got used to it he was fine. I keep him strapped in with a little body harness. You can get one at any pet store. This keeps him safe if I have to slam on the brakes and keeps him from jumping out when he smells all that absolutely fascinating road kill.   

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 05:32:16 pm
Read the book and practice in a parking lot somewhere quiet. I took mine to work on a Saturday and I was good to go in about an hour. It's very similar to riding the old three wheelers, if you ever did that. You turn into the road and lean with it. I have had mine for two years now and my son loves riding with me. We even slide it around corners on dirt roads  :D. Make sure to Locktite all your hardware (or use nyloc nuts).
It's lots of fun once you get used to the fact your motorcycle is as wide as the road. The only thing I want to do is get a two finger brake lever so I can brake and throttle into right hand corners going down the mountain roads in my area.
Have fun  8)!!!
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 06:15:06 pm
Read the book and practice in a parking lot somewhere quiet. I took mine to work on a Saturday and I was good to go in about an hour. It's very similar to riding the old three wheelers, if you ever did that. You turn into the road and lean with it. I have had mine for two years now and my son loves riding with me. We even slide it around corners on dirt roads  :D. Make sure to Locktite all your hardware (or use nyloc nuts).
It's lots of fun once you get used to the fact your motorcycle is as wide as the road. The only thing I want to do is get a two finger brake lever so I can brake and throttle into right hand corners going down the mountain roads in my area.
Have fun  8)!!!

I ought to be able to pick it right up then.  I was riding 3 and 4 wheelers quite a few years before I ever jumped on a dirt bike, working on dairy farms and all.  As far as sliding it sideways and drifting on the dirt rodes......  There's a good possibility I'd be doing that before I ever got it on asphalt!    ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for your insight guys!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 01:17:50 am
Oh boy another long one....
If you order something from us like the book and want it sent by post we will do it, It can be cheaper (not always anymore), but all bets are off because of no tracking. They don't lose much though. The last I knew we gave away a copy of that book with every sidecar that we sell to help encourage our customers to be safe.

As Marty has mentioned the set-up can take all day, especially the first time you do it.

ABOVE ALL read the book and practice for quite a while in a parking lot. I did not do this and took out a mailbox and the side of a custom Harley within 10 minutes. I also know a guy that killed himself because like me he thought he knew everything.

They are safe and are not hard to drive but "drive" is the operative word. You do not ride a sidecar bike, you drive it......unless you are flying the sidecar at which point it becomes a motorcycle again. It really does require some practice to be safe. If you can find training even better. Do not be afraid but be informed. Cornering is very very different with a sidecar and you have to think ahead a bit more.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:40:22 am
Kevin

Did not mean to be critical.  I am satisfied with the service.  They did not charge me the full amount quoted for shipping on the book.  Got it pretty quick and find it to be very helpfull.  Also got the key blank sooner than expected.  We will be doing more business. 

Now a question for experienced sidecar drivers.  They first few weeks were just around the back yard.  When I took it out on the road found I get a lot of wobble/shake at about 15 MPH.  Felt like a flat on the front.  Got it home and tire pressure was good.  Also checked all bolts and connections on the mount and found none lose.  All seems to be in order.  Thinking about unhooking the car and checking the bike but I'm pretty sure it will ride smooth. 

Fellow I got the car from suggested a steering damper.  Seems like overkill to me (?).  The Kozi was designed for the RE, wasn't it?  Any and all suggestions/comments will be appreciated.  Gotta get her up and running.  Just riding around the yard got a lot of attention.  Have a listed started of folks that want to take a ride.  May be a pain sometimes, but I still think the rig is fun. 

Thanks all,
Mike

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:02 pm
Steering dampener is the right answer.  You bike is dealing with a lot of force pulling in two different directions.  No matter how well set up it is it will pull and push depending on accelerating or braking.  Look at Ural, they all have dampeners built in.  That is the best example of a sidecar rig you can find, they are built that way for a reason.  All that said, go over your setup again, make adjustments and see how much you can eliminate, then get a dampener.  It sounds like you may be toed in a little too far, but I could be wrong.  Lean out, toe in, get that right and have fun.

Samgar 
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 04:36:57 am
Samgar
Thanks for the response.  I will go over the geometry of it again as soon as I can get the time. Seem to be awfully busy with family and farm right now.  Not real keen on the damper.  She's hard enough to steer now.  But I really want to put this rig on the road. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 06:43:15 am
Granted, I don't have a sidecar rig, but I was skeptical of using my steering damper at first too.  I was afraid of the steering being to stiff and not being able to control the bike in slow turns.  But after riding the bike with the damper in several different positions, I've found that the bike rides best having it cranked about 3/4 turn out from being completely tight.  Just my experience, so it might be worth a try.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:05 am
My sidecar rig came with the steering damper already installed.  It haven't noticed it being hard to steer.  It does smooth out the steering and prevent the very wobble you are experiencing.  Many of the sidecar articles I read before getting my rig all recommended the use of a steering damper for just that reason.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 05:03:50 pm
Any sidecar requires the use of a steering dampener.  Many bikes use to have one fitted as standard equipment.  When riding solo, it was left loose.  Most riders did not know why it was there.  Only when a sidecar was fitted did they learn what it was for.  GA-DK.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 12:54:52 pm
Finally Back! 

Had two friends ride in from Ohio.  They helped me tune the rig a little.  The steering damper makes all the difference in the world.  That and tire pressure! 

Put the damper on and still had some wobble (?).  Friend asks about tire pressure.  I've been keeping it at pressure recommended by the manual, 20 front, 30 rear.  On his Vulcan Voyager he runs over recommended to get a smooth ride.  Pumped it up to 36 front and rear.  WOW!  No wobble, except when accelerating hard she gives a twitch to the right and down shifting at speeds she gives a twitch to the left.  But, the damper seems to take hold and smooth it out. The rig is now rideable.  We all took it up and down the road a few times.  Got my daughter in it and all agree; it is fun. 

Lessons learned:
They make them dampers for a reason, they work.
Tire pressure is very important. 
Question what you read and experiment.   

What do you folks run for tire pressure with the car on?

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 04:21:21 am
We are going to have fun with this.  Went to the bank in our small town today.  When I came out there was a Harley rider (you could tell by the tee shirt, due rag, belt buckle, etc.) drooling on my RE.  Mumbling something about how pretty it was.  Before it was over he had invited me to his house to ride with him and his buddies.   :-\