Author Topic: HELP  (Read 25284 times)

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:52 am
I've wanted a sidecar rig for years but have zero experience with them.  Now I went and did it!  Recently bought a 2011 G5 Deluxe with 32 miles on it from a private party (no warranty and no dealer support). Nearest dealer is over 500 miles round trip.   Tuesday I go to New Orleans to get an Inder Royal Retro attached.  Will haul the bike over on a trailer and drag the rig back.  Don't think riding over and back is a good idea since the bike ain't hardly broke in yet.  Plus, I've never been on one with a car.  Hope I didn't screw the pooch on this one.  Think I'll be looking for a lot of HELP on this site.  Please be patient. ???
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:08:31 am
Good luck! I've always wanted a sidecar too, so I'll be paying close attention to your experience and will try to learn from it.

There are a lot of smart people here -- hope they can help you through the rough moments.

You're going to have so much fun!
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:32:19 pm
It takes a bit of time to set up a side car correctly. They don't just bolt on, it takes a lot of pulling and pushing and maybe a little cussing . I can spend a full day setting one up right. If you are far away from the dealer plan on being there for a while.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:34:27 am
As suggested, plan on giving them most of the day to install it.

Once you have it back.  Go buy a large case of cheap bottled water (24 or 32 of the 500ml kind) to use as starting ballast unless you have some unused barbell weights.  Put them in the sidecar just in front of the seat.  Then practice very slow (10-15 mph or less) left and right turns in an empty parking lot.  That is the advice I was given and found it very necessary.  You have to relearn how to steer the bike similar to a car.  Right turns are the trickiest - you have to learn to pull the right grip towards you without always revving the throttle.  Also lean your body into the turn - whichever direction, but especially right turns.  It puts your body weight over the sidecar to help keep it from lifting.  I am still learning how to get that right. 

When I commute to/from work on mine, I always arrive with a smile.  Just did my first "long ride" with mine - about 110 mile of back roads from Austin, Texas to San Antonio, Texas.  Hot and tiring, but nice all the same.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 03:52:42 am
Thank you folks for the input.  Fellow I'm buying from sells them as a side business.  Says it takes him an average of ten hours to get one right.  I expect to be there late.  Another reason for the use of the car hauler.  Have also arranged for a friend to ride along and keep me focused...  Still think the whole project is going to be fun. 

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:19:53 pm
Sidecars are fun, I had a Dnepr for a while.  Everything Mplayle said is true.  Get the yellow book and read it. http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Sidecar-Outfit-David-Hough/dp/B001PQFI9G  That is the link to amazon, I found it years ago for free on a down load, you might be able to as well.  Right handers are tough, stay off the front brake in left handers, you will dive the front and flip over your sidecar if you do it too hard. 

Have fun.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:16:42 pm
Ragmas

Thanks for the tip.  Searched the net and the best price for the book was at NField Gear!  Just ordered it for $29.95.  Shipping is rough though, total $45.91!!! Guess they don't use media mail.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:09 am
Got it!  Got back from the Big Easy a little while ago with the G5 w/sidecar attached.  A real adventure.  Very late, I'm tired, and wife and girl goe to airport tomorrow.  Hope to have more and figure out how to post pictures soon.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:46 am
Some notes:

1.  The car was not completly assembled when I took it home.  Running out of time and had to get back and just could not drive off and leave it.   :P

2.  Started to put the Inder Retro Royal together and found out some parts were missing!  The hub appeared to be made to take a brake (?).  There was no way to close in the back side.  Spindle was exposed.  Did not look good.  Waiting for parts from Inder might take a while.  He had on hand a Kozi Rocket that had been mounted on a Triumph.  When the deal fell through he took the car off and sold the bike.  Offered it to me for the same price as the Inder.  Thought it was a good deal and took it.  Technically used but less than 20 miles on it.   ???

3.  Comparing Inder to Kozi.  There does seem to be a difference, at least in these two.  Overall metal gauge, etc. seemed real close.  But, the fittings (badges, etc.) on the Inder were poor.  Both had scuffed paint from shipping damage.  Mounting hardware seemed to be interchangable.  Upholstery on Kozi was better.   :-\

4.  The man done me good.  He worked about eight hours putting it together and did not charge me anything.  Can't see how he can make a living at it but I'm happy.   ;D

5.  He test drove it four times with me in the car and made adjustments.  Turned it over to me and I immediately drove it into a telephone pole at about three miles per hour.  Remeasured everything and set it up again.  A very patient fellow.   :'(

6.  Don't try to ride it!!  Now I have to learn how to drive a motorcycle.   :o

More later if anyone gives a care....

Mike

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:33:57 am
I'm interested in how hard it is to learn to drive a side car.  I really want to get a side car set up so I can take my English Bulldog, Louie, with me on rides.  Keep us posted on your progress and be safe!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 01:35:12 pm
There are several online sources for reading material on how to "drive" a sidecar rig - even a US Sidecar association.  Find their site and read as a start.

Then try to find some videos of regular sidecar rigs being "driven".  (Not the 'off-road' trails competition videos.)  After watching a few, start mentally visualizing yourself making those same maneuvers.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:06 pm
Drove it around the back yard (about a quarter of a city block) a few times yesterday.  Right turns were very difficult.  Today I bought four 12 pacs of bottled water and put them in the car.  What a difference!  Still have to push it around but was able to do a few figure eights.  Progress, no? 

About 30 minutes ago, the UPS man dropped off "Driving A Sdidecar Outfit, second edition."  Looks to be very informative.  Will be studying this weekend.  Scottie, that is a great idea about watching the videos.  Will cruise the net as soon as I have a chance.  Have to go down to the Coast this weekend and don't have internet there. 

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 09:04:17 pm
In another thred there was talk about the rubber bands supporting the tub on the frame cracking.  Would there be any problem Armor Alling the daylights out of them.  Should keep the rubber from drying out, I think.  Any comments?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 04:07:13 pm
Mother's makes a product called VLR ( vinyl, leather and rubber) that is specifically for revitalizing vinyl, leather and rubber. I'd try that before Armor All.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 11:39:33 pm
And if a person can find it, AEROSPACE PROTECTANT 303 is an excellent product for protecting vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather and fiberglass.

I had to order it at a boat dealers place because the auto supply stores had never heard of it.
By the way, I've used it for years on my Miata and it works very well.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary