Author Topic: K&N Air Filter size for Iron Barrel  (Read 2004 times)

young gun

• Bulleteer
on: May 05, 2013, 11:01:35 am
Hi guys, i'm looking to send in my bike for its 3000km service this week and I want to replace the standard airfilter with a K&N one. What size am I looking for?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:20 am
If you have the one that's in the rectangular airbox, there really is no K&N that fits it without cutting and modifying the airbox.
If you have a round one that is in the toolbox, then you might be able to take that one in to a dealer and match it up with something.
If you want to delete the airbox, and put on a universal pod/cone type filter on the carb, just get one with a 1.75" mounting hole and a clamp.
They are available from NField Gear.

I will warn you that the pod types can cause a "hiccup" in the throttle response at low throttle positions, and they allow a lot of intake noise to be heard when running. They are popular, and look pretty cool, and flow a lot better than the stock filter does, but there can be some issues with them.
For some reason, they seem to work okay on some Bullets, and others have seemingly incurable problems with them. I really don't know why certain Bullets just don't run well with them, even after exhaustive re-jetting work and tuning, and still they have issues. Other Bullets do just fine with them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:19:40 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:52:12 pm
Thanks Ace, I want to keep the bike as stock as possible for the moment so i'll just be chnaging out the airfilter. The mechanic who is doing the service suggested the same thing (just taking the filter to a dealer) so i'll do that this week :)

Thanks for the info.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:47 pm
Thanks Ace, I want to keep the bike as stock as possible for the moment so i'll just be chnaging out the airfilter. The mechanic who is doing the service suggested the same thing (just taking the filter to a dealer) so i'll do that this week :)

Thanks for the info.
Ace air canister. ;)
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:52:26 pm
I would love to :) what's the pricing?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:55:11 pm by young gun »

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:58 am
Go to Ace's (Tom Lyons) blog link in his signature, that is where to find the canister filter. CMW no longer sells them.

I LOVE MINE!!!

actually EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THEM...

"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:29:21 am
Ordered one and it should be arriving next week sometime :)