Author Topic: Tip for clutch spring hold down screws  (Read 1277 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:31 pm
The three screws that hold down the clutch spring retainer plate can be quite hard to start off against spring pressure when you are at the last stage of reassembling your clutch. The stock advice is to keep an over length screw handy that you use to pull the retainer plate far enough in to start off the first two regular screws, then finish up by substituting the third screw in for the over length one.

I found another way. Close by the clutch is that large stud that secures the outer primary chain case cover via a sleeve nut. This stud makes a handy fulcrum. I slipped one end of a longish offset ring spanner over the stud and secured it loosely with the sleeve nut.  The shaft of the ring spanner then rested securely on the centre of the clutch spring retainer plate. Then I hooked an open ended spanner into the other end of the ring spanner for leverage. I was then easily able to compress the clutch springs with my right hand while starting off the clutch spring screws with my left.

I should have taken a picture but the chain case was all stitched back together and filled with oil when I decided to post.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 03:37:57 pm
That's a good one Chas.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.