Author Topic: I must be missing something  (Read 2196 times)

sethne

• Scooter
on: May 15, 2013, 03:29:56 am
Hey guys

Just receive my the last of what I though to be the last last of the 7" headlight conversion pieces.  These pieces include...

The inner ring
The outer ring
The bulb
4x w clips

So far I've figure out how the inner ring mounts to the nacelle, how the bulb mounts to the outer ring and how to wire the bulb.  The thing that is confusing me is how the two rings lock together.  I see the tab on the bottom of the outer ring that obviously goes into the slot in the inner ring, but when I put it in, the two pieces seem to pivot on the tab and never really lock in a way that would make me feel safe taking it on the road.   What am I missing?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:33 am
Have you put it on?

Is there a screw that holds it together,. Or a screw hole that looks like a screw should go?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:57 am
If you have the same type ring set that I have the bottom has a piece of metal riveted to it that hooks in the ring that holds the bulb . Now you should have in the parts bag with your w clips a  Phillips head machine screw & a piece of metal that it screws into with the ends bent up. That locks the ring in place .Put bent ends up mine had a long & short side i used long side to the outer ring. It hooks the outer ring after you have  the inner ring (the one that hooks to headlight nacelle) mounted . Also I had to enlarge the bottom holes to get ring to mount to nacelle. Hopes this sheds some light on mounting headlight it's really not a hard job.   
      Dan

sethne

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:42 am
Well that answers it then... My outer ring only came with the clips, there was no retainer clip or screw in the package at all.  Oh well

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:48:30 am
I'm retracting my comment.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:53:38 am by jartist »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:36 pm
...a Phillips head machine screw & a piece of metal that it screws into with the ends bent up. That locks the ring in place .Put bent ends up mine had a long & short side i used long side to the outer ring. It hooks the outer ring after you have  the inner ring (the one that hooks to headlight nacelle) mounted.

+1

Sethne - sounds like you are missing that crucial piece of hardware.  On my Minda unit that came from NFG, the two headlight mounting rings will not stay together until they're actually installed as a unit - that clip grips the outer ring and the nacelle, retaining the inner ring between them...

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:07 pm
My stock headlight assy had the screw & tab on it it looked almost the same size I'd try that to see if that would work. The particle ring assy manufacturer might assume that you would use that piece over. you could see if thats the situation.
   Dan

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:30:39 pm
My stock headlight assy had the screw & tab on it it looked almost the same size I'd try that to see if that would work. The particle ring assy manufacturer might assume that you would use that piece over. you could see if thats the situation.
   Dan

+1.  You should be able to use the retaining tab and screw from your factory light.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:28 pm
The clip is missing. I got one from a vintage bike shop. Most of them carry them. The inner ring should be held on by the two bottom screws. The screw for the clip goes in the top hole and tightens up the clip to catch the nacelle and the lip of the outer ring. You might want to get some extra W clips,too. I usually use at least six to hold the headlight in.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

sethne

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:11 pm
If the stock clip does indeed work, that would be incredibly convinient.  I'll know tommorow

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:04 am
The inner ring on the 7 inch headlight I bought from Nfieldgear is attached to the casquette with two screws located roughly at the 4 and 8 o'clock position.

The outer ring (with the headlight installed in it with W clips) hooks into the inner ring at the bottom.  The top is held with the clip that catches the rim.  This top clip is tightened by a screw that goes down thru the top hole on the inner ring.

The screws and retaining clip are the original parts that held the original DOT headlight and rims in place.

The biggest problem I had was that top clip with the screw clamping it in place was marginal at catching and holding the top of the outer ring snugly in position.
I ended up bending the 'hook' on the outer end so it would do a better job and then tightened it WAY up tight.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:39:38 am
It should worked fine. the reason I had to get another one is that I lost the stock one. A bit of a weird story, but a problem I had with the stock one was that it wouldn't tighten down enough to hold the outer ring properly. The headlight had fallen out a few times after I thought I had gotten it secure. Fortunately, the headlight would just dangle on the wires. But I rewired the headlight and the wires were a bit longer and the light came off one day up on the Crest and came loose from the wires. I didn't realize it was even gone until we got to Newcomb's, but a couple of people were behind us and pulled in there and told me they'd seen it come off and more or less where it was. so Jack and I back tracked a few miles and found the bits. The Tribar headlight and ring were smashed. All the W clips were gone, so we did look for them where the stuff had gone off the road, and actually found a few of them. The clip had also unscrewed itself completely. We didn't find that.
After I got some new ones I starting digging in to what the problem really was.  The problem was the casting in the nacelle was thick enough that the clip would wedge itself on the casting and not go up into the lip of the rim far enough.
I ground the casting down to give the clip more clearance and had no more problems. You might want to look at the clearance you have with yours, but I've never heard of anyone else having a problem, so maybe it was just my bike.
Just looked at Jim's post. I guess he had the problem, too. I tried bending mine, but it still wasn't quite enough
Bare
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:43:29 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com