Author Topic: C5-Front wheel Extreme WOBBLE @ 70 Miles Per Hour  (Read 11223 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:55 pm
As for the bronze shim, refer to the photos taken my Matz in his
post where he has disassembled the swing arm completely. Here is the link http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16382.0.html#msg179505

Regarding "adding" the "bronze shims" - my B5 came with them.  My parts catalog calls them "end caps".  They're metal (not sure what), and they have a hard rubber seal around the edge... and they do indeed cover the plastic bushings:

My downloaded C5 parts catalog doesn't show them.  My purchased paper B5 catalog shows them, but they're clearly an addition to the drawing...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:56 pm
   That is a completely different swing arm. At least from what is on my 09 C-5.  That has different ends on the pivot tube.  Those black disks on the end appear to be grease retainers, and not thrust washers. Very similar to what you might see on a Honda CB.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 02:03:54 pm
   That is a completely different swing arm. At least from what is on my 09 C-5.  That has different ends on the pivot tube.  Those black disks on the end appear to be grease retainers, and not thrust washers. Very similar to what you might see on a Honda CB.

It's a different frame; I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your swing arm was different.  But completely different?  Why not, I guess...

Re. the discs: interesting, considering that when I dismantled it, there wasn't any grease to speak of behind them, or on any of the swing arm pivot parts.  But from what I read here, it's apparently not all that uncommon to find things inadequately lubricated from the factory.  My swing arm pivot is greased now...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 02:09:19 pm
  Looking at it closer.... it does appear to have a brass thrust washer on the inside of the retainer.

Matt, was there rubber ridges or grooves along the inside lip of that black disk ?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 02:47:54 pm
  Looking at it closer.... it does appear to have a brass thrust washer on the inside of the retainer.

Matt, was there rubber ridges or grooves along the inside lip of that black disk ?

Yes - you can just see in the photo.  The flat metal disc is surrounded by a rubber seal that has two ridges, with a groove in the middle, that face the swing arm.  The seal fits snug over the plastic bushing.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 03:04:06 pm
 Yup I see.  Welp, good to see they are making improvements.... maybe next year grease fittings , then the next year some grease . ::)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 02:15:24 am
@Mattsx @Gashouse
My C5 Swingarm DID NOT have those discs and Just to verify I checked the repair & the parts manual..neither of the manuals showed those 2 discs..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:19:31 am
Don't recall those on my C5 either when I was messing with the swingarm.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 05:52:35 am
@Mattsx @Gashouse
My C5 Swingarm DID NOT have those discs and Just to verify I checked the repair & the parts manual..neither of the manuals showed those 2 discs..

Maybe it's just a B-5 thing?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:15 am
It is the old bullet frame, isn't it?  I'd expect some differences...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:01 pm
 I believe the old Bullets used the metalastic bushes.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 02:58:06 pm
@bradey
@GHG
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8325.0.html
Wow..I found the above link..and skimmed through it last night...I am going to read the same again today..I have been under the weather the whole week, as such no progress on the bike..I hope I'm over the sore symptoms by this weekend or before..I Definitely am looking forward to resolving this WOBBLE issue.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 04:46:08 pm
if the wobble is gradually getting worse, try a new rear tyre- or swapping out the rear wheel with someone using a different make/pattern.

I had a growing instability problem on my ElectraX and replacing the part worn rear tyre for a new one (different brand) cured the instability instantly, and it never reappeared.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 09:42:58 pm
@portisheadric
Thanks, I will give that a shot if I can..all I have got on the tires are 3000miles and that too on perfect to excellent roads, I've done no rough roads or dirt roads....
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 05:36:51 am
The corrective steps I'm taking to remedy this problem is being documented on a similar but different link..follows below.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16489.0.html
Thanks you all for the help and I'm looking forward to the same on the following link.
Cheers
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011