Author Topic: Floating bush  (Read 7920 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:04 am
We have just got our new Bronze Floating Bush in.
It's a special run that works specifically with properly matched Carrillo rods.

Eliminates the flaking failures that plague the OEM babbitted floating bush, and replaces it with a monolithic bronze bush that is made with new bearing clearances suitable for its thermal expansion behavior.The use of a floating bush is actually a fine idea for a design, but the propensity of the OEM bush to flake off the babbitting material makes it fail early, and so it just isn't a reliable option in its OEM form. The monolithic bronze makes the entire bush out of suitable bush material, eliminating the surface babbitting, so that there is nothing to flake off. This keeps the basic original design, and eliminates the problems of the babbitted coating.
Cuts the cost of a crank rebuild by 1/3 less than with the Alpha roller big end bearing. It's our latest attempt to try to make things more affordable for the Bullet performance enthusiast on a budget.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:27:56 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:25:11 am
Looking good Ace. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:46 am
Keep up the great work Tom!    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:17:16 pm
Thanks guys!

We have had a test bike running this bush with its matching Carrillo rod for well over a year in all seasons and conditions, and it tested out great.
So, we decided to go ahead and make some of these with specially made Ace/Carrillo rods that are designed specifically to work with this bush.
They work as a pair. The dimensions are set so that the Ace Carrillo rod can receive a replacement bronze floating bush when rebuild time comes around, but these items are not suitable for use with the OEM con-rod or the OEM bush. They vary enough from the OEM sizes that they will not work with the OEM items. We had to do this because the bronze exhibits different thermal expansion.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:19:17 pm
Tom,
Since we are speaking of budget, where can I find a listing of the possible options for this and other fireball performance enhancements?  Any suggestions on how to convince the wife that these improvements are a necessity?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:53 pm
Tom,
Since we are speaking of budget, where can I find a listing of the possible options for this and other fireball performance enhancements?  Any suggestions on how to convince the wife that these improvements are a necessity?

I'll send you a PM about it.

Thanks,
Tom

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:26 pm
First the rockers and now this in the same week. Tom, you're gonna need a press agent.
Mazel Tov!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:00:48 pm
First the rockers and now this in the same week. Tom, you're gonna need a press agent.
Mazel Tov!

8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:06:50 pm by ace.cafe »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:33:51 pm
In the technical article where Alan Baker interviews the RE Technical Manager, R.A. Wilson-Jones, Baker asks Wilson-Jones about his reasoning for using of the floating bush which was commonly seen in radial aircraft engine design. In response, Wilson-Jones replied that it was the best high speed bearing that was comparable only to an Alpha bearing which was not easily obtainable in sufficient quantities at the time.

What I take out of the Wilson-Jones response is that even though both bearing designs are different, both perform on or near the same level. The bush referred to in the article was made of steel with white metal outer plate which was of a superior quality of the bush used in the iron barrel Bullet of today. Why did they not opt for a bronze bush which would have been easily sourced at the time? How does the Ace bronze bush compare to the original British made bush?

RE Bullet's of the 50's never attained or sustained speeds like the Fireball bikes do today. I think Mr. Wilson-Jones if alive today would have been extremely proud of this new Ace bronze bush/Carrillo rod combo and the rest of the Ace products. Another way to look at it is the Alpha bearing is easily sourced today, so for someone like Ace to keep true to the original design and go out of his way to develop a newly designed floating bush is a a testament to Mr. Wilson-Jones engineering legacy. Maybe a fitting name would be the Ace Legacy Bronze Bush (kinda wordy though).
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:55:11 pm
L0oking good Tom.

I saw the bush special over at the other place a bit to late to get in on it.  Love the look of it and I just happen to have a spare motor case and crank in my garage.   Maybe I will get myself one of these for my birthday.   ;D   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:18:40 pm
Are these the Bushes Chumma is going to use in his bottom end jobs?  If so, yay for me!!
geichal

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:30:39 pm
Are these the Bushes Chumma is going to use in his bottom end jobs?  If so, yay for me!!
geichal

Yep!

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:59 pm
Extremely excited about this. I am saving up my pennies now for the work, and already have the fleabay find blown crank cased up in the garage ready to go. :)
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:39 pm
End of August, Geichal is going to do his happy dance!!
geichal

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 05:50:17 pm
Apologies for dragging this thread from the back of beyond!

We've had some discussion on the Midland Bullet Riders forum about an Indian made bronze floating bush that came with a crankpin assembly I bought a few weeks ago.

These bronze bushes seem to be something of an unknown quantity this side of the Atlantic (UK). Bullet Whisperer has his doubts about them and prefers the old metalled steel type.

I'd be grateful for any further information on this subject. The part seems very well made but there's very little information around. I did find a thread on an Indian forum where some contributors thought very highly of them, but some were not sure that bronze would be up to the job. Thanks!
Paul W.