Author Topic: Rideapart.com doesn't like RE  (Read 8080 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:37 pm
I rode Harleys for about 35 years, as somepointed outmost of those guys don't know sh$&@t about bikes...I was  a HOG rally up in South Carolina...I pulledand parked..this guycame walking up, said his Road Kingwould not start, could I show him were the battery was.....once I got done laughing I showed the poor schmuck...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:59 pm
Who gives a f*** about what they think about my bike.

Ok, I am just grumpy about something else. I ll be civil about this.So, they rated an RE 2/10. I am guessing they have never been on one or known the heritage of this beautiful machine. They are entitled to their opinion though, as am I. I ride what I like and for that matter will ride almost anything on two wheels including a Harley but I choose not to demean the others that ride the BIG bikes or crotch rockets or whatever. Riding a bullet does not make me better than them, nor does it make anyone better than anyone else. A lot of you on this forum have had other bikes, and other kids of bikes. Its about the ride guys. They got theirs, you got yours. Thats about it...And, on that note I am going to check my mail and see if the damn gearbox gasket is here. Its about time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:29:53 pm by 1 Thump »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:21 pm
Road King would not start, could I show him were the battery was

Well that just go to show ya, not everyone who rides care about knowing technical details of their specific machine...

Ratings, well I think we rate our bikes fair and acknowledge their pitfalls as  slight nuisances that can be resolved..
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 01:41:22 am
In the 70's, riding an ole H-D with leather and tattoo's was considered the real deal.

The 1980's H-D marketing the 883 for $3995, started to change things. I guess was necessary to stay in busyness.

Now days,I get tired of the modern fake, over weight, soft skin, H-D bad a$$es ,that are too snobby to talk to me , but almost twist there necks out to get a second look at my RE.

Again, nothing against H-D bikes. I would certainly purchase one at a fire sale.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 01:59:02 am
Stick to Cycle World for your motorcycle review needs.

Or better yet, Motorcycle Consumer News.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 08:19:13 am
I really wasn't going to reply on this thread, but then I saw the site ...and the ratings under "standard" seem so arbitrary.  Not invalidating anyone's opinion, but if I'm going to put the Enfield in any sub-category, it'll be retro-standard, so let's compare retro-standard ratings on Rideapart's site.

The Bonneville T-100 gets a 5/10:  okay, maybe they don't like retro styling.  The Bonneville Scrambler gets 8/10, as does the CCW Ace.  Huh?  The CCW Misfit gets a 7/10:  Okay, that tears it.  I know for a fact that Rideapart tested that bike on video, and the front brake caliper fell off.  It fell off.  It fell the *expletive deleted* off.  There's no way the Bullet is five points below the "build quality so great it might kill you"  CCW Misfit.

EDIT:  Let's make this even more confusing.  Positive ride report!

http://rideapart.com/2013/02/riding-a-royal-enfield-in-the-phillipines/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:36:46 am by Bullet Bill »
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 06:44:48 am
 My Enfield Doesn't like Rideapart.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 07:07:25 am
now lets look at this on a positive note. it's a lot better than zero l.o.l. ;)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:00 am
 Rideapart! Whats with that? How about ride together. Metaphorically even. How about "Imbecilic journalists attempting empirical measurement of an individualist and highly subjective pursuit. With 2/10Th's of a clue!" Bit wordy maybe, but you get the gist.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 08:20:58 am
hope i dont sound to grumpy there.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:04 am
Nah - just wordy.   ;D

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:39 pm
Or better yet, Motorcycle Consumer News.
My favorite besides the British "Classic Bike". I have a subscription to both.

Chuck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:39:34 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:03 pm
Well folks, you know the phrase " Opinions are like buttholes; everyone has them." I haven't seen a HD rider yet turn their nose up at my bike, and frequently, its a conversation starter. Experienced bike riders come over and ask how old, it sure looked old, and can't believe its a 2012. And yet, the bikes are old.

I think what CCW is trying to do is pretty neat -it's an abandoned niche in this country - but it sure as heck isn't a better quality bike than the Enfield/

Perhaps my real dissapointment with the RE has been that for simple technology, they seem to struggle with the one important piece of advanced technology they utilize. FI that is pretty much bombproof.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 08:08:52 pm
Well folks, you know the phrase " Opinions are like buttholes; everyone has them."

...And most of them stink.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:38 pm
I think when their 10 out of 10 bike manages to sell unchanged for 70 years I may sit up and take notice but then I would be 107 and that's being very optimistic :)

As far as styles are concerned, I've wanted a 1960's CB750K for as long as I can remember, the Enfield was a close second. I'm not a fan of bikes with fairings, never have been, never will be, and that just may be the case albeit reversed with these guys.

I read a lot of reviews before buying this bike but I knew the 1st time I saw a Military green UCE that I had to buy a RE regardless of the reviews :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:03:43 pm by young gun »