Author Topic: Rideapart.com doesn't like RE  (Read 8075 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:09 pm
Take a look at their motorcycle ratings.
The entire RE line gets a 2 out of 10.

http://motorcycles.rideapart.com/l/1486/2013-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-500

That includes all of the 2013 models.
They pretty much rate all of Harley Davidsons models at 5-7.
Triumph seems to get some good ratings. From their descriptions they are only comparing motorcycles to other motorcycles in the same class.
Royal Enfield is considered a "Standard" motorcycle in their mind. I agree with all of the REs being considered standard motorcycles. But the 2 of 10 is disconcerting.

But you don't be an RE to be just like everyone else.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:37 pm
I wouldn't worry much about it.

I'd rate their website publication about a 2.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:40 pm
I don't worry about it as much as I find it interesting. Im sure the Harley lovers out there don't give them much credit.

I do find it fascinating that they give the Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit a 7 out of 10 and the Honda CBR250R a 10 of 10.

They also like the Triumph Bonneville SE.

I'm looking forward to getting my G5 back and getting out on the road again.

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:35 pm
I'm with Ace.  A website with no standing in the industry, barely any content, and no actual writeup on the bike?  Doubt any of the three people working part time on that rag has even seen one in person.  Their 'rating' is no doubt based on their interpretation of the specs they copied and pasted from a real motorcycle website and nothing more.  Whole site just looks like a scheme to sell ad space based on hits from Google.

Stick to Cycle World for your motorcycle review needs.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:33 pm
+1.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:29 pm
I read cycleworld. The listing of the C5 military as one of the 10 bikes with Soul and Character is one of the things the influenced my decision to by an RE. I don't regret that decision. I really enjoy riding the RE.
(here is the article http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/06/18/ten-bikes-with-soul-and-character/)

Its been fun to ride, it gets tons of attention and so far I have been pretty happy. My bike will be out of the shop soon and I will enjoy it again.

I like that the RE is so different. I have friends who think I am crazy for not getting a Harley Davidson. Frankly I didn't want to be just another middle aged guy on a Harley Davidson. I am 41, 275# with a goatee. I look like a typical guy in a Harley showroom.

The review that best fits my bike is this
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/27/2010-royal-enfield-g5-classic-review/

Mine is a 2011 G5 Standard in that same green color as the one reviewed. I think their description is really apt. I knew I was buying something really different. I also know its not a fast bike. I really do like it, but I was bummed at having to take it in for work so early.

Hopefully I will meet more RE riders from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and go on a few rides soon. Riding an RE is definitely more fun than reading about one. :-)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:49 pm
Frankly I didn't want to be just another middle aged guy on a Harley Davidson. I am 41, 275# with a goatee. I look like a typical guy in a Harley showroom.
Yeah, me  too. I wouldn't mind getting a great deal on a H-D from some yuppie accountant who needs some fast cash.
Most of these folks are just posers wearing pirate costumes and a grimaced face.
  Most new H-D riders don't know anything about bikes either.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:12:08 pm
I was struck by how many Harleys I saw that we 2, 3, 5, 7 years old with less than 5000 miles on them. Lots of people seem to buy them and discover they don't like to ride.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:50:22 pm
Very interesting.  They rated all the RE's a 2, the Urals got a 9 rating?  Hmmm

Like Ace, I give their survey a 2. 

I know what I like, don't give a rats ass what other people think.

;)

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:24 pm
Or maybe they just don't like riding Hardleys. Most of them, I don't think have ever ridden a real motorcycle, just the 2 wheeled trucks.
Honestly, if it came down to the point where a Hardley and their clones was all there was to ride, I wouldn't be riding either. I get no enjoyment out of them whatsoever. In fact, I find them somewhat scary! The damn things won't turn a corner!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:02:20 am
I was struck by how many Harleys I saw that we 2, 3, 5, 7 years old with less than 5000 miles on them. Lots of people seem to buy them and discover they don't like to ride.

Those people are also usually selling two nearly new helmets, HD branded of course, and two full sets of gear, also HD branded.  They would have been better off with a Honda Rebel.  It would have cost $20k less to use up that garage space for the last 5 years :)

Scott

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:36:03 am
I looked through some of the other bikes in the "standard" class they are supposedly comparing to the Enfields.  They all seem to have some form of "editors review" except for the Enfield models.  None of the Enfields have a review from their editorial staff.  Makes me believe they have not ridden even one.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 01:53:53 am
The only things that are lower than a Royal Enfield are the Boss Hoss creations?

They definitely haven't ridden a Royal Enfield.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:12:20 am
I do not mind what others say about the RE. In my heart, the Enfield will always be a 10.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:40:02 am
Well....I clicked on the link above and gave RE a 5-star on the user ratings.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:37 pm
I rode Harleys for about 35 years, as somepointed outmost of those guys don't know sh$&@t about bikes...I was  a HOG rally up in South Carolina...I pulledand parked..this guycame walking up, said his Road Kingwould not start, could I show him were the battery was.....once I got done laughing I showed the poor schmuck...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:59 pm
Who gives a f*** about what they think about my bike.

Ok, I am just grumpy about something else. I ll be civil about this.So, they rated an RE 2/10. I am guessing they have never been on one or known the heritage of this beautiful machine. They are entitled to their opinion though, as am I. I ride what I like and for that matter will ride almost anything on two wheels including a Harley but I choose not to demean the others that ride the BIG bikes or crotch rockets or whatever. Riding a bullet does not make me better than them, nor does it make anyone better than anyone else. A lot of you on this forum have had other bikes, and other kids of bikes. Its about the ride guys. They got theirs, you got yours. Thats about it...And, on that note I am going to check my mail and see if the damn gearbox gasket is here. Its about time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:29:53 pm by 1 Thump »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:21 pm
Road King would not start, could I show him were the battery was

Well that just go to show ya, not everyone who rides care about knowing technical details of their specific machine...

Ratings, well I think we rate our bikes fair and acknowledge their pitfalls as  slight nuisances that can be resolved..
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 01:41:22 am
In the 70's, riding an ole H-D with leather and tattoo's was considered the real deal.

The 1980's H-D marketing the 883 for $3995, started to change things. I guess was necessary to stay in busyness.

Now days,I get tired of the modern fake, over weight, soft skin, H-D bad a$$es ,that are too snobby to talk to me , but almost twist there necks out to get a second look at my RE.

Again, nothing against H-D bikes. I would certainly purchase one at a fire sale.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 01:59:02 am
Stick to Cycle World for your motorcycle review needs.

Or better yet, Motorcycle Consumer News.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 08:19:13 am
I really wasn't going to reply on this thread, but then I saw the site ...and the ratings under "standard" seem so arbitrary.  Not invalidating anyone's opinion, but if I'm going to put the Enfield in any sub-category, it'll be retro-standard, so let's compare retro-standard ratings on Rideapart's site.

The Bonneville T-100 gets a 5/10:  okay, maybe they don't like retro styling.  The Bonneville Scrambler gets 8/10, as does the CCW Ace.  Huh?  The CCW Misfit gets a 7/10:  Okay, that tears it.  I know for a fact that Rideapart tested that bike on video, and the front brake caliper fell off.  It fell off.  It fell the *expletive deleted* off.  There's no way the Bullet is five points below the "build quality so great it might kill you"  CCW Misfit.

EDIT:  Let's make this even more confusing.  Positive ride report!

http://rideapart.com/2013/02/riding-a-royal-enfield-in-the-phillipines/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:36:46 am by Bullet Bill »
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 06:44:48 am
 My Enfield Doesn't like Rideapart.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 07:07:25 am
now lets look at this on a positive note. it's a lot better than zero l.o.l. ;)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:00 am
 Rideapart! Whats with that? How about ride together. Metaphorically even. How about "Imbecilic journalists attempting empirical measurement of an individualist and highly subjective pursuit. With 2/10Th's of a clue!" Bit wordy maybe, but you get the gist.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 08:20:58 am
hope i dont sound to grumpy there.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:04 am
Nah - just wordy.   ;D

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:39 pm
Or better yet, Motorcycle Consumer News.
My favorite besides the British "Classic Bike". I have a subscription to both.

Chuck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:39:34 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:03 pm
Well folks, you know the phrase " Opinions are like buttholes; everyone has them." I haven't seen a HD rider yet turn their nose up at my bike, and frequently, its a conversation starter. Experienced bike riders come over and ask how old, it sure looked old, and can't believe its a 2012. And yet, the bikes are old.

I think what CCW is trying to do is pretty neat -it's an abandoned niche in this country - but it sure as heck isn't a better quality bike than the Enfield/

Perhaps my real dissapointment with the RE has been that for simple technology, they seem to struggle with the one important piece of advanced technology they utilize. FI that is pretty much bombproof.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 08:08:52 pm
Well folks, you know the phrase " Opinions are like buttholes; everyone has them."

...And most of them stink.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:38 pm
I think when their 10 out of 10 bike manages to sell unchanged for 70 years I may sit up and take notice but then I would be 107 and that's being very optimistic :)

As far as styles are concerned, I've wanted a 1960's CB750K for as long as I can remember, the Enfield was a close second. I'm not a fan of bikes with fairings, never have been, never will be, and that just may be the case albeit reversed with these guys.

I read a lot of reviews before buying this bike but I knew the 1st time I saw a Military green UCE that I had to buy a RE regardless of the reviews :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:03:43 pm by young gun »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 10:31:20 pm
I went to a non Enfield dealer the other day,and the dealer was trying to tell me how bad Enfields were. He had never been on one, I don't think he had ever even been very close to one, but he was one of those, but he was definitely an ex-spurt on them. We had a long chat about how full of s&*t he as and told him he certainly didn't impress me with his knowledge, or lack there of, of a bike that's pretty much as good as anything else there. Unfortunately, most of the bad mouthing about Enfields comes from people have no experience with them.
this guy, I don't think will be so inclined to say anything about them again!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:43 am
I wouldn't worry much about it.

I'd rate their website publication about a 2.

@Ace & all:
+1
Just finished reading a few of their "objective" opinions/ratings. What a load of BS. I've never seen more subjective opinions and comparisons. And their "comparisons" with "similar" bikes is a joke. Other than comparisons within the RE line, they compare with sport bikes and others with completely different displacements. Apples and oranges.
I didn't get mine to be like the HDs, Yams, etc. I got it for its classic design, overall build quality, very reasonable initial and subsequent costs, ease of maintenance, and more. None of which I could find addressed in their "ratings".
These guys completely miss the point.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11:44 pm
These guys completely miss the point.

Most of the modern bike testers do miss the point!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer